Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Shanty Photos

Mark

Default Ice Fishing Shanty Photos

I think Alaska has matured to the point where "hard sided" ice fishing shanties are beginning to get popular. I know there are several on Big Lake now, I've seen a few on other Southcentral lakes, and I've heard that there are some on Quartz Lake near Fairbanks. I've also seen Grant's tow-behind hard sided shanty, and think it was a pretty neat looking set up.

So far I haven't seen any "luxury" units out there. I've been thinking about building one.

Anybody got photos to share? Any ice fishing shanties out there have the TVs, bunks, couches, etc?

I'm not talking about the "tent" style. I'm wondering about the "condo" styles!

Mark:

Ever seen this site?

http://www.iceshanty.com/

They have forums just like here. Even a pictures forum (with people showing pics while building). Might get you going in the right direction.

Whenever I think of these things, I can't help but get that movie "Grumpy Old Men" in my head where they are all over the ice in MN (I think that's where they were), and when the old men get so mad at each other they start towing each other's shanties around to move them. Too funny.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Mark:

Ever seen this site?

http://www.iceshanty.com/

They have forums just like here. Even a pictures forum (with people showing pics while building). Might get you going in the right direction.....
    Yeah. I registered on that forum a couple of years ago, but rarely post. There I'm Hungry4Fish.

What I'm amazed at is that such structures are so prevalent there yet aren't here. I'm thinking real hard about building such a "shanty" for a local high-use location, and use my ice fishing tent for the more remote lakes or one-day exploratory trips during the winter.

....Whenever I think of these things, I can't help but get that movie "Grumpy Old Men" in my head where they are all over the ice in MN (I think that's where they were), and when the old men get so mad at each other they start towing each other's shanties around to move them. Too funny.
    Great movies!

Lake Mille Lac is famous for that. They even put street signs up on the lake amid the shanties!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quartz lake has had ice shanties like that for years. I have never seen any with bunks and tvs but its been a long time since I fished it so you never know what they have now. I haven't done any ice fishing since the mid 90's and assumed everyone else had them as well in Alaska.

If you want I can post a picture of me sitting on a 5 gallon bucket freezing mu bu** off. Maybe I should consider one?.

would love to have the disposable income to build one...

here's a few links for some ideas

http://roadkingoutdoors.com/fish-houses.html

http://www.fishhousesupply.com/icehousekits.htm

http://www.soderbloom.com/Alumalitefishhouse.html

http://www.fishandgame.com/performance/index.html

Build one with a toy hauler style rear door so you can load a snow machine or a wheeler in it and you've got a winning contraption in my book! Oh and make the structure removable (a few solid attachment points and something like slide in camper jacks) so you can use it as a regular flatbed trailer for hauling a small boat around in the summer.

Mark

An ice fishing "tent" makes ice fishing bearable. Keeps the wind off of you, and allows thawing of numb hands, if you have a basic propane heater.

A hard sided shanty (or even wall tent with stove) allows long-weekend excursions and overnight "closely attended line" fishing.

One year I saw a plywood shack that was "panelized" get assembled on a lake. It was there all winter. This building could even be brought into relatively remote lakes by snowmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    One year I saw a plywood shack that was "panelized" get assembled on a lake. It was there all winter. This building could even be brought into relatively remote lakes by snowmobile.
    A modular ice shanty is a great idea. Should be all that hard to build one like that. Just have to design it around your freight sled so there wouldn't be any hauling issues after its built.

those are pretty neat! found this one too

www.yoopercrawler.com

and this might be the nicest home built I've seen on the net - http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...?topic=57937.0

A friend of mine has one on wheels that he pulls behind his pickup and sticks out on Quartz for the winter. Over the years it went from having a couple bunks to having a couch with a hida-bed. He has it wired and hooks up a generator when he's there and turns on the tv, sits on the couch, watches football and fishes. When it's bed time you close the trap doors over the holes and pull the bed out of the couch! I think he still has a wood stove in it unless he upgraded to propane. I haven't seen it for a few years. and of course it has windows so you don't feel like your fishing in a closet all day.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Mark

Somebody sent me photos of an ice fishing shanty here in Alaska. He was reluctant on posting them himself and indicated that I could. I'm only going to post photos of the interior so that the place can't be recognized on a lake.

This is a work of art, folks. It even has a satellite dish on it. It is without a doubt the finest ice fishing shanty I've ever seen photos of.

Mark

More photos of the ultimate fishing shanty:

Mark

Mrs. Mark would divorce me, cause I wouldn't come home for months.

Thumbs up

Mark,

Thats the shanty that akjw7 posted a link to - http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...?topic=43180.0

More photos there. It is a work of art!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It even has a satellite dish on it. It is without a doubt the finest ice fishing shanty I've ever seen photos of.
    Mark, I think any chance at anonymity was lost after mentioning the satellite dish!

I wonder if even this guy has a hard time getting help to move the shanty at the end of the year? I suspect not!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    It even has a satellite dish on it. It is without a doubt the finest ice fishing shanty I've ever seen photos of.
    Mark, I think any chance at anonymity was lost after mentioning the satellite dish!......
    A pad like that needs a subscription to NFL Ticket, cause I'd be in it each and every Sunday.

A subscription to The Outdoor Channel would be appropriate for Saturdays and the post season........

NHL Center Ice for sure - besides isn't that more appropriate for an ice fishing shanty?

Mark

LOL! Yeah, I suppose so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast