Thread: Broken winch cable

Default Broken winch cable

My winch cable broke about a foot from the hook (it was frayed and no its not synthetic winch cable). Initially I thought of just yarding it all of and getting a new synthetic winch cable but I'm only going to lose a couple of feet if I put a new end on it and cut the frayed cable, so I thought I'd save some money. Thats where the question starts. Whats the best way to re-crimp the end to make a loop and whats the best way to cut the frayed cable. Thanks

Default easy

Use a thimble and nico-press. Just have to swage it on and it will give you the full strength of the cable. You may have to use a slightly bigger hook to go over the thimble, but no big deal.

You can also buy a little clamp from any hardware store thats made for repairing cable. I had the same thing happen to mine and thats how I fixed it, but now I have the synthetic cable and will not use anything else. I had that clamp on my winch cable almost a year and it worked just fine..

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Use a thimble and nico-press. Just have to swage it on and it will give you the full strength of the cable. You may have to use a slightly bigger hook to go over the thimble, but no big deal.
    Is there anywhere I could just rent/use the press to crimp a sleeve on? Also, where would I get the sleeve/thimble? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Is there anywhere I could just rent/use the press to crimp a sleeve on? Also, where would I get the sleeve/thimble? Thanks
    Cheaper to go buy a cable clamp $1.00, cable sleeve .75, and line it back together.

Default AIH

You should be able to get everything you need at AIH. They may even have the swagers cheap enough to just buy one. If not, I think you could find a rental place that would have one. I worked at a marine hardware store years ago, and we often let customers use ours (or did it for them) if they only needed a couple.

I just recommend you guys who have the same question. YOu don't have to rent a press. Just find a rigging service/store. If it deals with chains and ropes, it has this kind of press, sleeve, thimble and everyting necessary.