Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.p.s. ?

Default G.p.s. ?

I'm looking into getting a G.P.S. and wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the Garmin(specifically the Rino's). If you had to pick a certain one which would it be and why? Thank's!!

My brother, buddy and I all got Rinos (christmas/b-day gift from bro!!) and love 'em! Being able to poll positions/use radio/send text messages could be invaluabe if you ever got lost/separated/whatever. I have the HC530 and they have the HC530x (which is capable of holding a 1gb microSD card. However, with the built-in memory with the regular 530, I can hold most of southcentral AK and most of the kenai peninsula. I attached a screenshot of the garmin mapsource software and everything in pink is in my GPS without additional memory. We used these for the first time on a Missouri whitetail hunt and it was neat to text my buddy to see what he was up to and when we got deer we would radio to tell each other what was going on and to help track, etc. Sweet unit and definitely recommended.

I had an eTrex Legend (gray scale screen), but the maps are a lot easier to interpret with color, so...

I chose the Vista because I wanted a real altimeter, small size, waterproof, AA batteries, color screen, micro SD cards. It was the lowest cost option that fit my requirements. I do wish the screen was larger, but then the whole unit would be bigger than I prefer carry, so I sticking with this one.

I have the GARMIN 76CS, love it! Very easy screen to read and very easy to navigate through the system. Being color it is great for riding, snowmachines/wheelers, you can see the whole screen with out stoping. I have about 85% of the state of ALASKA loaded up with room to boot!

Default thanks

Thanks for the info. what about the Rino 130's? They're more my price range. Anyone with one, care to tell how you like it?

130 has a smaller and lower resolution gray-scale screen than the color screened Vista HCx for about the same price ($300 or so), but the Vista also adds a higher sensitivity receiver, much longer battery life, much faster computer interface, and expandable memory for that price. The only thing the Rino adds is more bulk and a built in radio, and radios are cheap these days.

You would pay well over $100 for just the radio if you compare it to the similarly spec'd gray-scale eTrex Vista (not HCx) and it would still not be as good a unit. Having GPS and radio in one unit is nice, but it isn't that nice.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one without a lot more memory. 24MB is NOT enough if you plan on using it in multiple areas around the state or elsewhere. By adding another $100 or so, you can get the Rino 520HCx and get everything the Vista HCx has and more. I would think that to be a better buy.

Default Rinos on Ebay

I bought the 530 Rinos on ebay for just under $300 bucks. Seems like the way to go to me. Yeah rinos are basically gps with radios, but whenever I can combined tools that I take out to the field I try to capitlize on that it cuts down on weight and bulk.

Default radios/texting

Not sure here, and I don't have the regs in front of me, but I think it is against the law to use communication devices like this for hunting. This of course wouldn't apply for when you are lost or general communication, but I could see someone getting in hot water over this.

My GPS is the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. It is awesome. I have the same type of maps loaded and have found them to be very helpful. Also, it is fun to look at what you did when you get back home.

Using radios while hunting isn't illegal, just when you are using radio communication to stalk/take/harvest the animal. While you are out and about not doing anything, it is OK.

Default radio

I really don't care if it does have a radio or not. Just thought since I was spending the money it would be nice to have. Have a friend with the 60csmap(believe), I know it's a 60. It's a nice piece of equipment. Just can't see spending $500.oo. Really can't afford that much. I'll have to check out ebay. Been looking on craigslist, haven't seen anything in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    I really don't care if it does have a radio or not. Just thought since I was spending the money it would be nice to have. Have a friend with the 60csmap(believe), I know it's a 60. It's a nice piece of equipment. Just can't see spending $500.oo. Really can't afford that much. I'll have to check out ebay. Been looking on craigslist, haven't seen anything in awhile.
    Try going to thegpsstore.com for some great pricesclick on there low prices...also the 60CS and 60CSx have a $50 rebate until the end of the year.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I went with the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx as it has the SIRF 3 Chipset that does well in dense cover. Another great unit is the 76CSx! Similar features as the 60 but a bit larger with buttons on top, it floats, comes with a Micro SD card and the memory card is easier to access. You can pick up the 60CSx for $325 plus free shipping at PC Nation and you also can save another $50 with the mail in rebate until the end of the year.

Wyatt

Default Really want a 530?

PM me...for $300 ($100 less than the Hcx) I have a 530 that I'd love to upgrade to a 530Hcx...I'm always interested in having the newer toys. Have all manuals, belt clip, wrist strap, discs, data cable, et cetera--pretty sure that I even have the box and receipt!

I'd just download my last data positions (aka secret hunting locations) into the laptop and clear out the memory. I'm of the similar mind that combining the GPS and radio into a single tool is the way to go. These things are way cool!

IceKing02

I have the new Magellan Triton on order and it should be here tomorrow. It does not have a radio but it sure is cool. I am getting the top of the line one but only for a couple of features. It combines your GPS with a built in 2 mega pix camera. You can take a picture of a way point and be able to return to it just by selecting the photo from the gallery. No more crummy interface for naming waypoints. It also has a touch screen intrface and an actual operating system that can be updated with new features. It also has a built in flashlight and MP3 player which I have absolutly no use for. The best part is that it uses the National Geographic Mapping system and an SD card slot. It may be a total piece of garbage I can't find any reviews outside of the Magellan website hopefully I will have a firsthand review by next sunday!!

Default Don't buy a Rino unless everyone has one!

If you don't need the radio and your freinds don't have Rino models, then do NOT buy a Rino model. You won't like it unless everyone you run with also has one. Pick a more appropriate model for your needs. You can get a lower level 60 or 76 model without spending money for the extras (sensors, color screen, etc.) that you don't need. I would recommend a basic map model such as GPSMAP 60 or 76 or even an eTrex Legend. The retail price range is $160-250, so you're not paying for all the bells and whistles you don't need with the CSx models of the same that run $400-500.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The 76 series are on eBay right now for around $300. I saw the 76CSx for around $320 so you should be able to get a 76C or 76CS for even less.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Personally, I would pay extra for a color screen, because reading the topo maps are a lot easier. With the b&w screens you can hardly tell if a line is a trail, a road or a topo line. I would also pay extra for a model that uses SD or Micro SD cards. The built in memory is never enough, and Garmin's old add on memory system is too limited and costly. But I don't really miss the x series receivers much. The previous one seems to work fine in my Vista CS in any place I've used it. It's quite a bit better than the older Legend I had before. A better signal is always nice, but I don't think I would pay much for it, or upgrade just to get it. I did upgrade for color though.

Also, I know the barometric altimeter is supposed to be more accurate, but on my float trips I haven't found it to be so. I suspect it's due to changes in atmospheric pressure over the few days I'm out there, but it messes me up enough that I disable it. I'm sure it would be fine if I was doing day hikes up the side of a mountain, but I'm not. I don't really need a compass for a float trip anyway. I just use the GPS to figure distance traveled to keep myself on schedule.

And I also found the compass to be unreliable. It's either my calibration method or a faulty unit, I suppose, but I take a real compass anyway. You never know if, or when, an electronic device will fail on you.

JOAT, do you know how slow are you supposed to spin the GPS while calibrating the compass? I got a "too slow" message a couple times, so I sped up, but still no cigar. Should this take a minute to do a 360, or 20 seconds, or...? I do keep the unit flat while I do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    ... how slow are you supposed to spin the GPS while calibrating the compass? I got a "too slow" message a couple times, so I sped up, but still no cigar...
    The calibration requires 2 full rotations (720 degrees) at a rate of about 6-8 seconds per rotation. The important part is to turn steadily without changing speed and to keep the GPS physically level.

I could give a long disertation about how the electronic magnetoresistive sensor works in relation to the Earth's magnetic field, but I don't think it's really necessary in this format. Basically, the rotation of the unit is through the vertical component of the magnetic field and orients the unit toward magnetic north. If you move the unit up and down while turning, it will throw off the calibration. And any nearby ferous metals will have a greater affect on an electronic compass than they will on a typical mechanical one.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Good to know.
    Thank you.
    Maybe I'll get it to work next time.

Default Garmin Rino

I have been using the Rinos for several years now. It is true that they are probably not the best choice if you have the only one, but if you have two in camp they are the best choice I believe. It is more of a safety issue with me. When you use the radio to call another Rino it marks your position on their GPS and marks their position on yours when you receive a transmission.

I think this could be a life saver if someone was to get lost or hurt and your tryin to find them. They don't even have to answer the radio to get their location. And you can program them to only transmit to people in your party. I have two and make sure the person i'm hunting with has one. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast