Thread: Epoxy Bedding

Default Epoxy Bedding

I want to epoxy bed a .270. I've used Acraglass in the past on several guns, but I hear epoxy is better. Has anyone used Marine Tex? A lot of people use Devcon but I just wanted to do one rifle and you have to get bigger quantities of Devcon. Do you use metal in the epoxy?

Default Acraglas is okay

I have been using Acraglas gel bedding forever, used to do bedding and stock repairs as a sideline. I have never had a problem with it, once I learned to use it correctly. As far as I know, it is a type of epoxy. You can get bedding compound with metal powder in it, but I don't know as that is actually better.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I believe that AcraGlas is an epoxy system. I have used Devcon before (the grey aviation kind with aluminum in it) and it worked ok. I couldnt say if the aluminum powder makes it any stronger? but I doubt it. If you are really wanting to add stiffness and strength, you can router out as much of the wood as possible and lay in some fiber glass plys or carbon fiber plys or both and bed it that way. Might be a bit heavy, but it would be stiff and strong I guess.

Marine Tex? Most of the stock makers that make synthetic stocks use Marine-Tex the reason is, because it's closest to that used to make the stocks. I buy it from Mcmillian stock works by the quart.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/ac...ccessories.asp

Scroll down the page, it's third from the bottom. Have fun with it. It's a top product. Oh, you can get it at marine supply places in Anchorage also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Epoxy Bedding

Thanks for the information. My stock is wood but a tech at Brownells told me that some of the injection molded stocks don't bond well to their Acraglas because the manufacturers use form release agents in the stock. Has anyone had a problem with that?

Haven't had a problem, but I always anticipated they used a release agent. I scuff all surfaces, then clean with acetone. No probs.

Default bedding in synthetic

I've bedded a lot of stocks, both wood and synthetic. One thing I always do whether wood or polymer is to roughen and honeycomb the bedding surfaces. Course grit sandpaper for roughening and a rotary tool with a tiny ball head cutter (+/- 1/16") for the honeycomb. The honeycomb will lock in the epoxy even if the smooth surfaces don't bond well. By using the ball cutter you can make the shallow holes larger in the bottoms thus locking in the epoxy. With the thicker bedding epoxies you can take a toothpick and work the compound into the holes. I space the honeycomb holes about 1/8"- 1/4" apart in a random pattern over the bedding surface. Just be careful when plunging the cutter into the stock- don't want to run the tool all the way thru to an outside surface Everyone has a preference. This system has worked well for me.

Thumbs up

I agree with George because it is the exact method I use with my dremel tool and never had a problem. Acra Glas is an Epoxy because you mix a resin and a hardner.

Default Bedding

Having used AcraGlas and SteelBed, I fall back on using Marine-Tex for all bedding... including National Match M1 and M1A rifles. For AcraGlas use the gel form as the original is runny and clay dams are needed to hold it. Marine-Tex can withstand high temperatures and had little shrinkage. Not the high end , but easy to obtain.