Thread: Rhino ?

Default Rhino ?

I am looking at buying a 07 Rhino. What input.

I have a 660 Griz. If the Rhino would have been out when we bought the Griz we would have got one. If I was going to buy one tomorrow I would by the 2008 700 FI. Maybe I can talk the wife into it this summer! Not only do you get the fuel injected 686 but they lowered the gear ratios in the tranny and reverse which is a biggie. They also beefed up the tranny and the axles. Check it out here: Rhino Features

Having said all that. If price is an issue the 450 is a heck of a deal. It is lowered geared than the 660 and is about 1500 bucks less money I think. I hear the 450 is a great rig.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

mriguy

Default Love my RHINO!

Love it, Love it, LOVE IT.

I go anywhere my buddies go on their quads, more comfortably, with more gear.

Just took it up to Murphy's Dome on Sat bird hunting. Nice big windsheld to keep you nice and warm. Pleny of power.

I agree...get the Fuel Injected version. You'll cuss less when the mercury drops and you want to go plow the driveway again.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Love it, Love it, LOVE IT.

I go anywhere my buddies go on their quads, more comfortably, with more gear.

Just took it up to Murphy's Dome on Sat bird hunting. Nice big windsheld to keep you nice and warm. Pleny of power.

I agree...get the Fuel Injected version. You'll cuss less when the mercury drops and you want to go plow the driveway again.
    Find any birds? Any Sharpies?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by jim k View Post
    I am looking at buying a 07 Rhino. What input.
    I have a 07 Rhino 660 that I bought last March or April. The Rhino is great but it has limits. I like it for the aftermarket stuff you can add to it. I added an enclosed cab (JStrong Roof/JStrong folding full/half windshield/ProRhino full/half doors/Yamaha rear window), 14" rims and 26" Terracross tires, extra lights (4x55watt PIAAs), neoprene seat covers, 66" Yamaha State Plow with electric motor lift, Yamaha 3000lbs multi-mount winch, and most importantly...a Rhinogear heater. I was plowing snow this morning at 15f and I was able to wear shorts and a t-shirt! My latest additions were performance related and made a big difference. I added a power exhaust tip off eBay, Uni filters for the CVT intake and Air Intake, and a Hunterworks CDI. The Hunterworks CDI made the biggest improvement to performance out of everything. I have tons of extra weight with all my accessories and can still hit 45mph with my plow attached. Stock you will only hit 40-41mph before the limiter kicks in. It hauls a ton of gear…I used it to haul 4,000lbs of river stone this summer to build a pond and waterfall for my wife. It seats two people very comfortably for long or short trips and handles bumps better than most ATVs. Fuel capacity is great. At 8 gallons, I can ride from the parking lot at Jim Creek to the glacier and back with a little “mud fun” in between and still have more than ½ a tank of fuel left when I return. Ground clearance is great with aftermarket rims and tires. I have about 13” of clearance on the trail. Mud crossings are fun as well. Because the Rhino is wider than an ATV, I do not tend to get stuck as easily. My friends “high center” in most mud holes because they are down in the ruts. My Rhino rides higher on the sides of the ruts and goes right on through. There are tons of advantages to having a UTV (Rhino, Mule, Ranger). Too many to list here. All that being said, there are a few drawbacks to having one as well. First off, driving the Rhino is not like ATV riding. I sold my 2003 Grizzly 660 to buy the Rhino. I love my Rhino but miss the ATV experience. Last August I bought a 2007 Grizzly 700fi w/EPS. Now, I have the best of both worlds. The Rhino does great on most trails and is better at crossing water than any ATV I have seen. It does have a longer wheelbase that can cause issues when riding on tight technical trails. The Rhino is not as nimble as a shorter wheelbase ATV. It goes almost any place I want it to go and has more utility uses than an ATV. They are family friendly. I often take my compact grill and cooler full of food and drinks with me for day long family rides. We enjoy outings more now with the Rhino…and for snow plowing, the Rhino is the next best thing to having a truck and maybe better, when it comes to size. Enclosing the cab and adding the heater makes all the difference in the world. I now plow my neighbor’s driveways because I am having so much fun and I am warm. I enjoy my Grizzly 700 but if weather is wet or cold, the Rhino is the only choice. If you want pictures, let me know. I am at work right now and the internet police will not let me get to my picture web page. If you have any specific questions let me know. I will try to answer them the best I can. The only other thing I plan to do is a clutch kit and machined clutch sheave. That will give me a combination of more low-end power and a little additional top end speed. Sorry for the long post but nothing to do at work tonight.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I agree with AKMuddy. He gave a fair assessment.

But.... with a 660 motor the Rhino should have more power. I have not powered out yet but this machine is geared way too high, and I shouldn’t have to add a clutch kit to change the fact either. Just my 2c.

What I really like about this machine is its climbing ability. Climbing Pinochle has never been so easy. I even pulled the e-brake 3/4 of the way up the hill, and got out of the machine to help a stuck friend. A rhino will climb over obstacles that I knew my brute force would not overpower.

A rhino is a blast, but it’s no fourwheeler.

Thanks for the info. It is helpful I bought a 2007 660 with carb. I have added a recoil started, 72" plow, 3000lb winch, roll on bed liner, hard top, built a windshield frame and put in a real windshield. and added the 26" tires.

Congrats on the Rhino! Got any pics? I have Rhino fever, hopefully it's contagious and the wife will get it

I have a recoil starter on my 660 griz and man, I hope I never REALLY have to use it. I've tried it and it's a bugger. You have to pull slowly until a certain point and then give it a good hard tug and hope it goes!

mriguy

Default Birds...

Hey Snyde.

We had one covey of ptarmigan buzz us up on a hill top. We chased 'em and then let 'em have it! But what a fun day riding. If I wasn't on call this weekend I'd head back up there! Oh, and the Rhino ran great as usual Sure couldn't imagine riding without that big windshield.....

We went up the Circle Fairbanks trail last saturday. Didn't see anything but weren't too serious. Putted around, built a fire, drank coffee and enjoyed the view. It was nice to get out since we don't have enough snow to open at Skiland yet. I think I freaked out my Griz though. Usually she (Mama Griz) hibernates under the tarp all winter. Well, I uncovered her, put the battery back in and woke her up!

Question 450 Rhino

Is a 660/700 is necessary, especially if most fellas seem to be re-gearing them for more power? With slightly bigger aftermarket tires, would a 450 have to be re-geared too? I have been looking to upgrade from an '84 Big Red to something else.

What do Rhino's weigh? On certain Federal land (Wrangell) ATV's are limited to 1000 lbs. What's the difference between carb and fuel injected models? Easier starting, less fuel consumption?

Tim