Thread: Sitka Blacktail

Default Sitka Blacktail

I was directed here by a member of the California Refuge Forums site.

My brother and I were thinking about planning a late deer hunt for December of this year.
    I have contacted Zachar Bay Lodge and they have availability?
    Any experiences with them that you would care to share?

Please PM if you have any info?

Thanks,
    Mike

Supposely the deer on Kodiak were hit pretty hard by snow last winter and suffered a high kill off.
    I will be close to where you considering and will return in 10 days. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you an update.
    From about the second week of Dec and bucks can lose there horns. No hard and fast rule, so bucks lose early, some don't.
    Tennessee

Thanks Randy. I'll check back in with you if I don't forget. I'm sure I'll have to book before you get back as the available date is Dec 8th.

Yes the deer were hit hard last year, the farther north the worse it was, but I still have been seeing quite a few deer. In the last 2 days I have seen a fair amount and a couple of nice bucks. May just be a little more work this year. just my 2 cents. hope you all have a good hunt.

Welcome aboard and glad you made it over here Mike. Hope all your questions get answered.

Quote Originally Posted by 1CRAZY1 View Post
    Welcome aboard and glad you made it over here Mike. Hope all your questions get answered.
    Thanks for the direction. I spent a bit too much time on here last night
    Great site.

Snowolfe pretty well summed it up. Yeah, there was a kill, but experienced deer hunters are still getting their deer. More hunting involved, but very nice bucks floating around. But by mid-December, you're going to see lots of sheds. I'd consider it a meat hunt, with bonus points for any full racks you manage.

ZB is a good outfit. Longtime Kodiak family with experience coming out their ears. They'll work hard for you. Good facilities and good gear.

deer are coming in slow off the air taxi's but the guys with experience are still nailing deer. i was out for over two weeks and only found three winter kills, saw over 100 deer on the 6 day deer hunt, clients limited out on good bucks, at least 8 points or better, older deer, not 2-4 year old, pilots are seeing lots of deer now that we got some snow on the ground. ruts going strong right now, saw two bucks mounted up on does...one won't be doing that again.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake:

Welcome home!

Lots of pictures and stories to share?

kingfisherktn

ya but not home yet, waiting on the ferry right now, i'll have pics up in a few days with that big bear we nailed too...i'm sure some with think its photoshopped! lol
    Master guide 212

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'll have pics up in a few days with that big bear we nailed too...i'm sure some with think its photoshopped! lol

You mean, you didn't?

I was out on a southwest Kodiak deer hunt from the 5th until the 11th. MY partner and I each killed two nice bucks. As was reported here by others they were good, older, mature bucks that were getting into the rut pretty well. We saw a lot of deer and had bucks to choose from, or rather blow stalks on! We didn't have any bear problems at all, but then we don't kill more animals than we can deal with at a given time.

If you choose to go with Zachar Bay, they are good folks and will treat you well.

Default Zachar Bay

I hunt Zachar Bay every year and I'll be there this Saturday. I'll post how the hunt went after I get back on December 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya but not home yet, waiting on the ferry right now, i'll have pics up in a few days with that big bear we nailed too...i'm sure some with think its photoshopped! lol
    On a sidenote, how rad is it that the tusty has internet?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

rad? umm its killer dude, but i sleep when i'm on that rocking chair! i get sea sick.
    Master guide 212

Default Zachar Bay Report

I just got back from Zachar Bay yesterday. We arrived in Kodiak on Saturday but due to the weather, we were not able to get out to Zachar until Monday.

When we arrived, I asked Marty (the owner of the lodge) how the hunting has been going and he said that it's been pretty tough this year. Our trip this year supports that; there were 3 of us and over the course of the week we took 4 deer.

There is snow on the tops of the mountains but none down low. During our trip, the day time temperatures were in the upper 30's to mid 40's. Lots of wind but it only rained one day.

The nicest buck taken was up behind the lodge not far from snow line. The best advice I can give is to go high. Even if you're not exclusively looking for large bucks and are fine with filling your tags with doe's, you're still going to benefit from getting some altitude.

So far as bears go, we saw sign in the form of scat and tracks but no actual bear sightings. We have seen bear in past years but they were all very motivated to get as far away from us as possible.

As always, the lodge was comfortable and the operators were friendly and helpful.

While this hunt didn't exactly fill the freezers, I was in the woods and hunting with friends. We came back safe with some new stories and some fresh meat. Successful hunt.