Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17hmr dusts a bunny!

Default 17hmr dusts a bunny!

Man you dont want to hit one of these anywhere but the head. I even used a 20gr XTP bullet as I thought this might be a little less explosive. I propped the rabbit up and angled the pic to remove some of the gore. My shot was a little low on the head. Pretty much removed everything but the eyeballs.
    Bunnies were real hard to see today. And really skittish. Got my gun up on a few but as soon as I did they bolted.

Default 17hrm

I got one of the 17hrms as well...I can tell you why the rabbits disapear! I'd be running to! It's pretty awesome on almost any small game up to fox size, just be careful where you hittem if they are destined for the plate. Accuracy is, imho way better then a standard 22 at extended ranges,(75yards +) might be a tad light for coyotes, but everything smaller is fair play! Not to mention its a hoot to shoot.....Desertdog

Yeah its my favorite rimfire round. It costs more but its worth it. Its accurate and deadly. We used it on foxes on kodiak. They are a great fox round. Very little damage. Well at least to the pelts. Turns the insides to a mess.

I like that rifle you have. Is that a green mountain fluted barrel and a hogue stock?

Thanks for the compliment! The stock is a hogue. The barrel is made by clerke arms. Fluted and stainless. There is a company selling these really cheap, since they have to I guess cuz there is no more 10/22 magnum. So far I have been really happy with the barrel. Its a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdog View Post
    Accuracy is, imho way better then a standard 22 at extended ranges,(75yards +) might be a tad light for coyotes, but everything smaller is fair play! Not to mention its a hoot to shoot.....Desertdog
    I know for a fact that it is enough for 'yotes to 100 yds. I exclusively shoot the 20 grain hornadys. I have a savage 93, and would give my left nut for a stainless 10/22 mag to convert. There are pretty much none around with any kind of decent price range. I cant believe ruger hasn't made a 10/17 in the HMR round, I would think it would sell pretty well.

And I agree with the accuracy. I have put 3 shots under a quarter at 165 and pretty much one hole at 100. It's the best shooting gun I own, and it's fun as hell to blow up heads at 50+!
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I saw a standard volquartzen 22 mag, stainless at whitakers for 699.00

I dont believe ruger ever made the 10/22 mag in stainless, at least I have never seen one.

I might get mine hard chromed.

Default .17 for fox

What would yall say to using the .17 mach 2 for fox. Earlier this year I had a rabbit facing away from me about 50 yards out. I hit the rabbit in the upper part of his butt when I shot at it. I went up to it and saw that the whole top of his back was blown off. After I saw that kind of destruction I thought it would be a good predator hunting gun, basically just go in and turn their insides to jelly. I wanted other opinions on it though before I actually tried using it.

We have shot 2 foxes on kodiak with the 17hmr. Both were inside 50 yards. Minimal damage. One went through the ribs and blew the insides up. The other hit high in the leg. Broke the leg did some damage to a lung and made a 1 inch hole coming out.

Shot another fox at about 100 yards. Fox got away. Looked like my freind hit it in the rear leg. Some blood and what not, tracked him for aways, blood dried up, and tracks appearead to be normal. not limping or anything.

All bullets were the 17grain V-max.

Im sure the mach 2 would work. Better just keep them shots in close. Like 50 yards.

Here is a pic of one of the foxes. I cant find the closeup pic. Gun was a Marlin 17V

very cool! Thanks

I guess its about time I put a scope on the 17, ya sold me a few years ago, can't let ya have all the fun.

How do you shoot it without a scope? I dont remember that gun having sights. Or are you saying you have not even shot it!???!! You really just need to sell it back to me! That gun is a little to accurate for you to be messing with.

Or are you saying you have not even shot it!???!!
    Yipper, thats a what I'ma say'n.

I ain't look'n to sell'her though. Just need to get a scope. I still got your number here, and as it stands now, I'll be off for three weeks next month. Maybe we can do some hunt'n and a call'n.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I saw a standard volquartzen 22 mag, stainless at whitakers for 699.00

I dont believe ruger ever made the 10/22 mag in stainless, at least I have never seen one.

I might get mine hard chromed.
    I have one and I use it for bunnies. was an early 90's model i think.

That is cool arkadey, I bet it is worth some serious coin.

Default Interesting Thread-

I spotted a new rig in .17HMR from Magnum Research, also cones in .22LR-.22RFM and .17 Mach2!?

It's a stainless receiver with a HB in stainless w/11degree target crown.
    Looks an awful lot like the Ruger tho, even has Ruger magazine.

They hadn't priced it yet as there was invoice, oh it's at The New Gun Traders on Muldoon.

I looked over rimfirecentral for feedback but found nothing..hmmmmmmmmm?

I think I may have just found my next toy...er...tool. Over a hundred bucks cheaper than the S&W M&P AR I was looking at and probably won't leave an exit wound on most varmints. If I can get some feedback on the HMR for lynx I may just plop the cash down a new... http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...Code=MLR17HMRH

I should be able to pick this up tommorow or monday HEHE

here is a link to the info. https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//page...tems.jsp?id=11

If you guys seriously want to get a nice HMR semi auto check out VQ. Watch gunbroker.com or here http://www.whittakerguns.com/

Look at used rimfires on whitaker. Right now they got a nice one in 22 mag, stainless for 599.00 Thats half off the msrp of 1200.00. I heard awhile ago they had brand new fusions like mine for 860.00!

I know pretty much squat about Magnum research. Their prices are with Volquartsen and I think that makes people leary about trying them out. Might as well get a proven volquartsen.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    I spotted a new rig in .17HMR from Magnum Research, also cones in .22LR-.22RFM and .17 Mach2!?

It's a stainless receiver with a HB in stainless w/11degree target crown.
    Looks an awful lot like the Ruger tho, even has Ruger magazine.

They hadn't priced it yet as there was invoice, oh it's at The New Gun Traders on Muldoon.

I looked over rimfirecentral for feedback but found nothing..hmmmmmmmmm?
    Just a hare under under $700. Looked purty sweet luckly I wasn't carrying proof of AK residence or it might have come home with me...

Default bunnies where to go

hello all
    after reading reports of all the bunnies around up north I am interested in takeing a road trip with my boy to try to get him into some. I have a long weekend coming up and was thinking of takeing a road trip with him to get into some. I live in soldotna but want to take a long trip if I have to to get into them. Dont even mind driving all the way to fairbanks if I have too. Our population on the kenai has been dismal to say the least for a long time. My niece and nephew have a hockey tournament in fairbanks that I wouldnt mind going to see anyway so driving to faibanks would be a fun trip I think. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where to try if there are places closer than fairbanks all the better would anyone mind sharing some spots with me. from the valley on up. Pm me if you like. Anything else to hunt along the way?
    Thanks for any info.
    Geoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast