Thread: Haul Road Caribou

Default Haul Road Caribou

Just in case anyone was thinking of making the trek up North for a Bou off the Haul Road. Don't. Stay home and eat turkey.

Just got back this morning 11/18/07. Roads are clear but slick. Light fluffy snow all of the 14 hour drive back to Wasilla. Temperature was around 0, never seen anything lower than -4 in the three days we were up there. Seen the first caribou around Galbraith Lake (sp), and it was just a few around 10. There were a couple of other small heards between Galbraith and Slope Mt. In three days we seen maybe 100 head and went as far North as Pump Station 3. Worse I have ever seen it for Caribou numbers. The ones we did see are very spooky and will bolt as soon as you slow the vehicle down. Seen a few ptarmagin, and a small heard of muskox, but no other critters. Did notice that there is starting to get water on top of the ice along the streams and rivers. Ice didn't look too safe.

Not much snow, and what is there is real fluffy and the ground is still pretty soft and hard to walk on. Seen one other truck that was hunting. They were using rifles and walking out west from the Toolick Lake area. They did have 1 bou for the three guys.

Looks like I get to go buy beef for this winter....

Good Luck....

Have you thought about trying the registration cow moose hunt up by Healy/Cantwell? That's bow only, and the snow should be driving the moose down out of the mountains. Don't buy beef yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Have you thought about trying the registration cow moose hunt up by Healy/Cantwell? That's bow only, and the snow should be driving the moose down out of the mountains. Don't buy beef yet!
    I was out there today. The snow hasn't driven the moose down quite yet. We saw 4 moose, but only one in a legal area. My buddy and I didn't get out of the truck to do much walking, but there wasn't much sign anywhere we looked. It wasn't a bad trip though. Stalked a cow, almost dusted a coyote, saw bunnies and grouse, so not my worst day by far. I'll probably be out again in a few weeks.

Default just got back

well, like anyone else that has ever set foot above the pass you gotta know that those buggers are smart. i think they read your post and thought it was safe, because i just got back in today from galbraith lake, and the bou are in there pretty good. broken tent pole had us sleeping in the truck, so after a few days of raod hunting we came home in time for thanksgiving, but the bou are definately in the galbraith toolik area. the valley betweek the lake airport, over the hill to the valley that leads to the toolik UAF site had over 2000 head spread across that area. now, none of those head were in a group bogger than about 75, but pockets of them as far as you could see. i'm sure that given a few more days and the hike over the hills to the infamous 5 mile mark we would have full freezers, but after sleeping in the truck for 4 days, wind picking up, and the thought of a good coldfoot breakfast got the better of us. so for anyone thinking of doing the hunt, here's my 2 cents. canvas tent, sled, rifle. the bou are there, they're still skiddish, small numbers together and not moving much unless provoked. the temps were in the mid 20's when we left wed morning and rising. pass was good without chains at grandma speed, but with the warmth and wind, take the chains. finger mountain has bou on the north side, small numbers but there, just after the downhill there at the mountain. the rest of those hills in teh finger area are pretty hairy, even the truckers are chaining up.
    oh, and if sticking with the bow is the only way to go, there were bou moving through the creek there at galbraith. at the time they were on both sides of the cut. might be able to get up in that drainage and wait them out.
    best of luck to anyone going. i'de follow and go right back up if i could.
    geewizz info... the moose on the slope is real, say her myself near pump 2! what a trip. got some shots of a wolfpack on the bluffs about 10 miles north of happy valley working a bou road kill. 8 of them buggers, one with a bou leg in mouth. that made the trip, even if we didnt get our bou.

Question Pic?

I'm sure we would all like to see a picture of that wolf if you have time!

buddy has the photos, but i'll get them this week and post them. whole pack was 8, or at least thats all we counted.

Default thanks

appreciate the report and waiting to see those pictures

Richie

Smile agree! hard hunt this year..but

there was a time that the boo up there did not care about a car or trk stopping on the road ....... NOW 20 years latter ...18 wheelers are still ok!! .... reg cars and trucks are IRON wolf's to them. if u hunt there u will know what i'm say'in (u just need to use my term iron wolf!!) you remeber that and u will have learned somthing.