Thread: What is my cheapest alternative.

Default What is my cheapest alternative.

I recently posted about the sand blasted barrel(actually it was my friend who was trying to help). The gun new is only 450.00 at walmart. Can I by a new barrel for my remington 700? Could I choose a less brutal caliber than my 300 ultra? Or am I oversimplifing things? I do not wnat to put money into a lost cause.
    Any info will help Thanks

If you're trying to get back out hunting before the end of the season, I'd definitely get a new rifle at those prices. You simply won't get a rebarrel done in time, and it's going to cost your more than half of that amount.

When looking at a new rifle in a "less brutal" caliber, I'd sure consinder something like a 30-06, or even a 308 or 7-08 if you want a short action. That's going to be ample plenty for what you're doing right now, and meanwhile it isn't going to hurt to shoot.

Over the longer term, a rebarrel of your current rifle is certainly a good option to produce a second rifle to go along with your 06 (or whatever). It will most likely be a magnum, just because of the action details on your UM. That opens a fun can of worms in deciding what would be a second gun to go with an 06 (or whatever). Lots of personal tastes involved, but for me a second rifle to go with an 06 (or whatever) would be a 375 H&H with a 22" barrel. It's going to be light unless you enlarge the barrel channel in your existing stock, but what a delight to carry. I've got one (a lefty) built just that way. It's really scuffed up now, mostly because it's the gun I carry most in bear country.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I'm with BrownBear, and I actually have an 30-06 and a 375H&H. Interestingly enough my 180gr 30-06 loads have the same trajectory, zero etc as my 270gr H&H loads. A small thing I know, but it's kind of nice that way.

I would go buy that Wall-mart gun, and then start shopping around for a used take off barrel for your other gun. I have seen magnum take-offs for as little as $50, but you will have to be patient and look for a while.

Good luck.

Take this opportunity to buy a nice custom barrel in the exact size and caliber you want and have it installed.
    If this is to expensive for your budget then have a gunsmith remove the barrel from your action and sell it online. Used Remington actions sell for almost as much as a rifle.
    Take the action money and buy a new rifle. It just takes time to sell but post it on Gunbrokers or here.
    Tennessee

Hunting is pretty much done isnt it?
    Gunbroker.com or maybe go go varmint classifieds should turn up some take off barrels for cheap.

I bet you could get that thing rebarreled for under 200 if you have a month to look around.

Mighty big action for anything shorter than a RUM, sell it and buy a different rifle. No way are you going to get a good barrel from the better makers and have it installed for 450.00. The best bet with the RUN length case is to go up in size with a necked up .338, but you are talking a whole different type of rifle for extreme long range shooting. This is not the kind of rifle you can pack along with you on a hunting trip, or carry in the woods.

I'm looking for just such a donor action for a build right now. PM me if you want to unload that POS.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Finding a take off barrel is a good idea. Don't know what it would cost to switch out barrels, but some time ago I bought an extra barrel for my Rem. 700; seems like it was $50, inc. sights, for a new take off.

A check of PAC-NOR Barreling shows their Standard Match Grade Chrome Moly blank is $205 (thier SS Super Match is only $50 more). Fitting & Chambering (inc. Lapping & Truing of Action) is $250.

just call the gun shops around town and see if they have a take off laying around. I'm sure they dont just throw them away. He might cahrge a little more than an individual, but not much. I knew where a 26" 7mm barrel was about a month ago. That guy wanted $50. there around.

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    I recently posted about the sand blasted barrel(actually it was my friend who was trying to help). The gun new is only 450.00 at walmart. Can I by a new barrel for my remington 700? Could I choose a less brutal caliber than my 300 ultra? Or am I oversimplifing things? I do not wnat to put money into a lost cause.
    Any info will help Thanks
    Remington can return it to factory spec if you want. Contact them as to cost.