Thread: Bullet size?

Default Bullet size?

How many grains do you reccomend for a black bear hunt in PWS?

I'll go ahead & ask everyone's question.
    What cartridge?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Id say 150 minimum out of a 270 class. IF your gun is bigger than a 270 then doesnt matter. Just get a good solid bullet for it. factory ammo usually has premium or Bonded or controlled expansion on the packaging. HINT:it will be the more expensive stuff.

You can also use the search function here as there is probably enough dialog on this subject to equal the bible in length.

"I'll go ahead & ask everyone's question.
    What cartridge"

thank you!

I agree with Vance! With that being said if it is big enough I like 180 for most things. I shoot a 300 and use 180 for just about everthing.......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default bullets

Read a little Elmer Keith . I always use the heaviest that can be thrown accurately . I have shot moose and a half dozen black bear with the Barnes Original in 250 gr. .30 cal in a 06 and 300 mag. , it works . Caribou die easy , so do moose , bears don't always , a stout heavy .30 cal bullet with never be a problem up here , everything's either big or lays down quick so lack of expansion on smaller game ( deer ) with the upper bullet weights isn't anything to worry about in this country .

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I agree with Vance! With that being said if it is big enough I like 180 for most things. I shoot a 300 and use 180 for just about everthing.......
    I second or should i say third that motion! Is there an echo in this room? 300 in mag. 180's LOL!

Default Black Bears

Since there has been no mention of cailber - I carry my 375 with 270 grain BarnesX. Overgunned - absolutely.

There is no such thing as too dead.

Anything in a Nosler Partition should work just fine, the bigger the better I say. I shoot 150's out of my 270 win and 300's out of my 375 h&h.