Thread: Cetme .308

Default Cetme .308

Hi all! New hunter here and I have a question I hope you can help me with. I have read numerous posts saying that the .308 is a big enough caliber for moose. But I am wondering if some of you may have used something like the CETME .308? Do you see any pros or cons to using this rifle? It holds 20 .308's per magazine. Part of me does not want to be politically incorrect . Pros/cons for the new guy ladies and gentlemen? Here is a picture of the rifle. Thank you very much.
    1:

Talking um......

You know the limit is just one moose per season, right?

Lol, ya just one at a time. Problem is wife will only let me get one rifle atm. I am thinking ahead somewhat to when, unfortunatly, we get another idiotic gun ban going. I figured why not a high capacity .308 while it is still cheaper/possible to get one. Plus it would be a nice larger caliber rifle for a shtf type of situation .

I frequently use single shot rifles, so I'm not in a position to comment on the magazine. If it toots your whistle, blow away.

But on the 308, sure it's as ample for moose as the 06 and moreso than the 30-30, both of which have taken an awful lot of moose over the years. A friend of mine has taken 18 moose in 20 shots over the years with his favorite caliber- a 7x57. Extra rounds in the mag aren't needed if you put the first one where it belongs. If you don't then maybe an extra 20-rounder would be handy.

it would work. Id guess you want to keep that thing slicked up with some kind of oil to keep it from rusting. It looks heavy, that could get lame after a while. Also that sling would wear a notch in your back along with the magazine whacking you in the back or the side all the time. That brake will probably sear your ear.

Those are about the only drawbacks I would see. Is that thing accurate past 50 yards? You'd probably want to verify that.

But honestly if you could drag it around and it shot well, yeah, hunt with that thing.

You can get a good bolt gun for 300 or so bucks. You need to just grow a set to get past the wife or learn to be sneaky. I chose sneaky, and guess what I get new guns all the time.

Cool gun though! what did that set you back?

I have not bought this yet. These are getting harder and harder to find. I can get this one for $610 atm. They are a good investment if treated well and when another gun ban goes into effect the price will skyrocket. The wife is limiting me atm since in the past 2 weeks I have bought a Glock 17, Polish AK-47 and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Glock 17 grip 9mm (went a little nuts since I have not bought anything in a few years and the Sub takes Glock 17 33 round mags). Maybe I will get this and then after taking it to the field I will whine that it is too heavy and I can get a bolt action, hehe. I have a buddy that goes to some secret place right behind Eielson AFB who tells me that he only has to get off the road by a couple of hundred yards and it is moose heaven. He gets his every year within the first few days of hunting season so I am betting this is some good spot. I'm grateful for the accuracy question. After looking it up it is only soso. Anywhere from 1-3" MOA. Not exactly great. Guess I may just have to get this for a toy then something else for hunting. Thanks for the replies.

Post cetme

Ive wanted one for along time but would never use it for hunting. This gun will fire standard 308 but was designed to shoot nato brass. I beleive its 7.62x54 or 39 i cant remember. The nato stuff is all full metal jacket and wouldnt be a good idea for hunting. The problem with shooting the regular 308 is the brass is thinner and it has a tendency to rip the base off the brass leaving half the brass in the chamber. next round tryies to go in and your screwed. Ive seen it happen.Im not sure how much youve researched this rifle but its not the most accurate one.A good one is accurate out to 150 yards. Lots of problems with ground bolts,head spacing issues and front sites that are blind pinned that have holes drilled into the rifling. And on and on. Its a surplus rifle that was thrown together and sold cheap but for some reason they have recently went threw the roof. This is the reason i dont own one. They first came out they sold for $250 to 300 now they are averaging $750. I would strongly think about something else. This not a hunting rifle! If you have any other questions pm me ive done a ton of research and worked on a few. Hillbilly ps "secret spot behind eielson" now thats funny. I live on eielson and its a zoo during hunting season. If theres a road its packed.

I killed my first moose shooting an HK-91 in .308. A couple years later I finished off a wounded 9' brown bear with it. Loaded with handloads of 180 grain Nosler 180 partitions at 2600fps it was fine for moose and did a fine job on the bear. However, I only trusted it in big bear country because of the shear amount of bullets I could carry in the thing.

Using a N.A.T.O. sling, postitioning it across the front of me, it was extremely quick to bring into action. It was uterly reliable for the years that I carried it. The downside was the 12lb weight fully loaded I had no issues with my real HK using .308 brass or shooting handloads.

I only sold it in the early 90's because it was worth 5 times what I bought it for 5 years before.

Default .308 is big enough

My teenage daughter has killed 2 moose and 2 black bears with her .308 and hasn't needed a follow up shot yet and I killed my moose this year with her .308, I guess shot placement has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't carry it alone because of Brown Fuzzy.

Default Practice with it

The key to hunting with such a weapon is getting very familar with it and shooting it alot. You really need to spend much time shooting to 250 yards with the rifle.

They do work well but are heavy to pack.

Sincerely,

Thomas

PS I think Huckabee is picking up steam and hopefully it will be a moot point anyway.

Default 20 rounds??

The first question I have is why do you need 20 rounds to hunt anything other than a terrorist? Question #2 is Why do you need 20 rounds for?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

I dont think he thinks he needs 20 rounds. He only has the money for one gun, this is the one he wants, more for an investment I guess than anything. He just wants to know if it will also work for hunting moose.

Anyone who lives in the open country of northwest alaska, drives a snogo for some of his hunting, and can't see the advantages of a 20 round clip for some kinds of hunting just doesn't have his eyes open.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

would be a blast for aerial wolf control

Wink aerial....terrorist....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    would be a blast for aerial wolf control
    The first question I have is why do you need 20 rounds to hunt anything other than a terrorist?
    Would be a blast for aerial terrorist control.

(Notice: Poster does not advocate killing humans for fun)

Thought I would post a notice since a lot of people on here have been aweful uptight lately.

Default .308 vs. CETME

michaelusaf,
    While the semi auto you pictured would be fun at the range and a necessity in certain places in the middle east, I think it is impractible for Alaska. Think of freezing temps, freezing rain and snow and you've got the recipe for a single shot with a 20 round mag. While cool to shoot it has a niche value in a hunting mode, especially Alaska. Get a bolt action rifle with a synthetic stock and a stainless barrel. If you are counting your pennies, buy a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06, 300Win Mag or 300WSM.

Just pick up an AK 47 they have killed plenty of elephant in africa, millions of people the world aound (probably more than cancer) and besides even with poor accuracy you can pour enough lead that eventualy the moose will get so heavy it just can't stand anymore and falls over. Seriously though I would go with a bolt gun for any serious hunts where reliability is key. If you are just hunting day hunts localy and have other choices depending on the weather forcast it could be fun and I am sure you could hit a moose in the boiler at 100 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I dont think he thinks he needs 20 rounds. He only has the money for one gun, this is the one he wants, more for an investment I guess than anything. He just wants to know if it will also work for hunting moose.
    Nailed it perfectly rimfirematt. I was looking for a hunting gun, but was hoping to find a fun gun at the same time. Looks like this isn't the one. Sure does look like a fun gun though. Hmmm. I may buy this one then do some honeydo's and general brownnosing then get a bolt action too .
    Thanks for all the replies fellas. It's always nice to get experienced advice instead of jumping into something half cocked, just not as much fun.

Smile cetme

They are fun to shoot if you can get it to fire! Im still hoping to find one at a resonable price. I dont think they are worth more than $450. Im not sure why the pricess are up. Hillbilly