Thread: Slick Tricks

Question Slick Tricks

Had anyone tried these yet? I've heard good things all around Bowsite, just curious if any of our folks here have tried them and what you think.

Default Yes

I have used them for two or three years. 3 bears, 2 caribou, 1 deer. They work great. The newer ones hold an edge better. The older ones with the slot and hole in the one blade, had the blades made in the US. The new German made blades appear much sharper and of better quality.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thumbs Up

I have enjoyed shooting Slick Tricks. I was shooting Spit Fires but wanted to get back to a fixed blade broadhead. Slick Tricks flew every bit as straight as the Spit Fires with my set-up. I like the fact that they are a 4-blade broadhead as well. I won't try to convince folks to use them over Muzzys, ThunderHeads, etc. If other brands fly well with your set-up, the blades are sharp, and you put the arrow where it should go, great! One nice thing about Slick Tricks is you're not spending $10-15 a piece on them.

Before there was Slick Tricks there was Wac'Em broadheads and now G5 has their Striker. They're all the same basic design with only minor changes. The Wac'Em Exit heads are a smidge shorter than the Slick Tricks and Strikers and just happen to be the same length as my Saunders field points. I'd recommend any of the three, but my money goes to the original design.

Default Slick Tricks

Slick tricks are for real. I've shot caribou, deer and moose with them with optimal outcomes. The two major selling points for me are: real field point accuracy and bone busting ability. I've chewed through some bones with the blades and they come out in perfect shape, not broken like other broadheads I've used. I reckon I'll be shooting them for a long time. Good luck deciding.

I have shot G5 montec's and killed everything you can imagine, but I am considering trying the slicktricks because I have several friends that are getting field tip performance with them and have killed A LOT of animals including a couple moose. The prices seems really good as well. I also agree with Dave, the new blades seem to be a lot sharper and better quality.

Default Penetration on a 4 blade vs. 3 blade

Hey guys, I've never shot a four blade broadhead before. Has any of you experimented to see if there is any penetration difference between a 4 blade and 3 blade broadhead?

The wound size I've seen on my R.M. T-100's is impressive, but the interlocking feature of the slick trick, good price, and reported good flight has me curious. Makes me wonder if the friction caused by the fourth blade might reduce the pentration some. I've broken two T100s shooting practice sessions and hitting some very hard stuff, and I'm wondering if the slick tricks might be worth my while to check out.

thanks,
    Mike

Default Slick Tricks

I've been using Slick Tricks for the last 2 years and I've been impressed. They fly the same as my field tips and they make a nice big hole in the animals. I've killed deer, sheep, moose and caribou with them and they have performed excellent, lots of penetration and good blood. I don't plan on looking at any other broadheads as these are working as good as I could hope for.

Jarrett

Default My experience

These are just my thoughts in a few works.

Expandables penetrate less as they loose energy opening up and the blade diameter is usually larger.

Slick Tricks, Muzzy and such with a chisel point, non-cut-on-impacts, blade angle near 45 degrees are dicerers. They are more like using a meat cleaver. They will do the job very adequately with modern high speed, high energy bows. With a traditional bow they would suffer.

Cut-on-impacts such as Magnus Stingers, Snuffers, Phantoms with the blades swept at a severe angle are slicers. They are going to require less energy to penetrate, slice instead of dice.

Then you have to look at other factors. Surface area of the entire head, blade cutting length, angle of the blades and such.

I shoot a BowTech Pro40 @ 70 pounds , 500 grain arrow and Slick Tricks.
    Caribou 50 yards - lung shot - complete pass through
    Caribou 50 yards - lung shot - complete pass through
    Caribou 30 yards - heart shot - hit back side leg bone going out ruined arrow
    Black bear 18 yards - lung shot - complete pass through
    Black bear 12 yards - frontal chest shot - complete pass through
    Black bear 9 yards - lung shot - complete pass through
    Black bear 20 yards - lung shot - complete pass through (Thunderhead)
    Whitetail 32 yards - lung shot - complete pass through

Why am I not on the SlickTrick Pro team I will never know. But unless I am hunting brown bears I am not going to worry about penetration with the SlickTricks. They do the job!

Default And Brown Bears?

Thanks for your info Dave! I may get a couple packs of the slick tricks to try, but I am going after Brown Bear too. In fact I'm doing some of that right now with my Rocky Mountain Titanium 100s because I view them as a great hybrid between the pure cut-on-impact blades and the chisel points. They're tough as nails, and the point of them is very charp with the edge leading directly down to the blade's edge. I was thinking about all the good reports I've read you guys posting about the slick tricks that they may be a great alternate broadhead at a fraction of the cost. Looking at their website shows the great interlocking construction design.

Have you taken a moose with one yet?

Honestly, I think with either broadhead and a double-lung shot, I'll get a pass through at 20 yards on either moose or BB provided I don't hit ribs on both sides. I know of guys over here who've taken BB with lesser quality broadheads and gotten pass through with 20 yard shots. That's about as far as I want to shoot a BB. I'm accurate much farther, but I fully expect I'll be shaking a lot more than usual, needing to use a lot of the arrow's energy through the animal, and wounding just isn't an option I'm wanting to chance.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Cybertech @ 70#, w/Beaman 340 arrows.

Thanks again for the info. I'm gonna pick up a few on my next order or visit to a store in Anchorage.

Default Have you taken a moose with one yet?

Have you taken a moose with one yet?
    This coming Saturday!

But not with a SlickTrick. I was introduced to the 125 grain Magnus SS Snuffers. And for a moose I want slice, not dice. They fly great, sharpen easily. Performance to be seen this weekend.

I'm thinking of trying these as well and was wondering what most of you use, standard 1" or the magnum 1 1/8"?

Default Bigger is betterq

In this case I think bigger is better. Just a little more cutting surface to cause more damage. The difference is not that much.

Default Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    This coming Saturday!

But not with a SlickTrick. I was introduced to the 125 grain Magnus SS Snuffers. And for a moose I want slice, not dice. They fly great, sharpen easily. Performance to be seen this weekend.
    ....for all the responses.

As far as the cut on contact versus the trocar tip on the Muzzy's...I've shot 5 moose with Muzzy's and have had all but one pass through. So I don't think a cut on contact is a must but I can see where it would have it's advantages as well.

I also shot Montecs this last year in South Africa...and while I had great results with the head they seem to make a hissing noise heading down range. I've also heard this from several other people so I know it's not just me. That hissing noise kinda bugs me. I've just heard so many good things about the Tricks I thought I would give them a try.

Dave....are you headed up to FBKS this weekend? I've been seeing a couple of bulls here and there...might just save one for ya!!

Default Bears

I know this question wasn't directed at me but I'll add my .02. I wouldn't hesitate to go after a Brown Bear shooting Slick Tricks. Thats what I used this spring when I was chasing bears on Kodiak. No shots at bears with the bow this year but I'll be after brown bears again next year and I'll being using Slick Tricks again.

The shot on the moose I killed last year clipped a rib going in and out for a complete pass through. I was most impressed with a caribou though. The shot was a little low and dead centered what I would call the elbow of the front leg. It broke that knob in half and still penetrated to the fletching. It went through his heart and broke a rib on the offside. I have been using the 100gr 1 1/8" magnum, the 1" are suppose to offer more penetration but I don't really see the need!

Default Ak145

I need a bull with no antlers or a cow. I have the DM788 antlerless moose tag. Four trips up so far and nothing yet. Close, but that doesn't count much for the freezer.

Thanks, Dave

Thumbs up Cows....

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I need a bull with no antlers or a cow. I have the DM788 antlerless moose tag. Four trips up so far and nothing yet. Close, but that doesn't count much for the freezer.

Thanks, Dave
    ....I've been consistantly seeing cows in the hydroaxed field behind Farmer's Loop Market at the corner of Farmers Loop and the Steese.