Thread: Wallas Heaters

Default Wallas Heaters

I'm curious about Wallas Heaters. I'm looking to replace the heating / cooking setup in my bowpicker and I keep reading good things about Wallas heaters. I have had some experience with the forced air heaters that Wallas makes and I wasn't too impressed with the performance. I'm thinking that they were probably undersize for the vessel they were installed in.

I have a diesel main, so I'm looking at the 30D furnace or potentially one of the cooktop heaters / oven combination. Does anyone have one of the 87D units? (They are the cooktop / oven combo) Are the 87D's compatible with a blower lid? For those of you that have the blower lids, how effective are they at keeping a cabin warm? I have a 28 foot bowpicker with a relatively small cabin. Probably 8' x 9' or thereabouts. The current setup (Dickinson Alaska stove) works to keep the cabin warm, but I have to use a seperate gimbal mounted propane burner to cook on. I'm about to lose my mind listening to the noisy pulse pump that supplies fuel to the dickinson. That reminds me... do the wallas heaters have their own fuel pump, or do you have to run a low pressure pump (like a pulse pump) to supply the fuel to the unit?

My other idea is to mount a 30D forced air heater (or espar) in the engine room, with ducting to the cabin, and get a propane two burner cooktop / oven (Force 10 or equivalent). Anybody else do things similar or have ideas?

I've got a Wallas combo heater/cooktop with the blower lid on a C-Dory 22. It provides adequate heat but doesn't circulate the heat at all. If you're commercial fishing, I assume you want stuff that is serviceable by yourself. The Wallas has a fairly high tech circuit board with micro processor controls. If it goes belly up you're hosed. Wallas won't sell you another board because they insist that it must be tuned to the stove. You have to send the whole thing to Seattle.

It does have its own on board fuel pump but it doesn't make enough noise to be noticeable. However, the blower cover is pretty loud.

If I had it to do over again, I'd install an Espar or similar heater and a propane cooktop. The other good thing about that is that if you lose the heater you can at least make a cup of joe.

Default Wallas 800/220, cook top with fan hood

I installed one last summer, also installed a seperate battery disconnected from the boats starting circuit be cause of radio
    interference. Didn't find it to noisey at all, small space without any other sounds, which is why I go out there, may make it seem load.
    Kept my 22' Bayliner cabin 65 when it was 30 out last fall.
    No propane adding moisture to my cabin or bedding and windows looking like I'm in a shower. Installed easy enough, buy the better hull vent.

If you decide to go with seperate cooker and heater, the Toyo ns2800 might be worth a look. It looks to be similar to the Wallas forced air units.

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/...rs/NS-2800.php

I recently installed the Toyo on my boat. I've only used it on four, one day trips, so I can't speak of reliability yet. However, I know a couple people that have had them for over a year, and they've worked flawlessly.
    I found a lot of info on the toyo and other heaters over on the "Cbrats" Cdory forum http://www.c-brats.com/index.php Do a search on any of the heaters and be prepared to read a lot.

I bought mine from Schmolk mechanical in Ketchikan. I believe they have a shop in Sitka as well.

Good luck

D

Thanks, yeah I have a buddy with a Toyo in his Hewescraft. It heats things up pretty nicely, but I wasn't sure if you could run it off No. 2 diesel. I was looking at the other units because I could pull fuel right from my main fuel tank. I'm certainly not opposed to the Toyostove though. They crank out some pretty good heat.

I may have to look at other options... I finally found a price tag for the Wallas...... yikes! It's about 3 grand for the 30D forced air heater, I can't imagine what their cooktops go for. Might have to live with that darn pulse pump for a while longer.
    Last edited by Burton; 11-18-2007 at 11:20. Reason: new info

I have a ready supply of JetA that I use, so I never thought about using no. 2. It does say in the directions to use no.1 or kerosene only. ( I forgot about that)
    You'd think since Toyo sells so many home heaters that using no. 2 would be ok... I'm not ready to test that theory quite yet.

D

Default Wallas Price list

well file was to big to post but I'll email if wished PM with address

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by DEH View Post
    If you decide to go with seperate cooker and heater, the Toyo ns2800 might be worth a look. It looks to be similar to the Wallas forced air units.

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/...rs/NS-2800.php

I recently installed the Toyo on my boat. I've only used it on four, one day trips, so I can't speak of reliability yet. However, I know a couple people that have had them for over a year, and they've worked flawlessly.
    I found a lot of info on the toyo and other heaters over on the "Cbrats" Cdory forum http://www.c-brats.com/index.php Do a search on any of the heaters and be prepared to read a lot.

I bought mine from Schmolk mechanical in Ketchikan. I believe they have a shop in Sitka as well.

Good luck

D
    How much was the Toyo in the link?

Thanks Mike

There isn't a price on that link. I think Allen Marine sells them in town here for about $1300. They do put out good heat, I just wanted to run a furnace that burns No. 2. If the Wallas 30D doesn't work out, I'll probably just dump No. 1 in a daytank and buy a Toyo. If I read the price list right from scanmarineusa.com the 30D is around $1900 + shipping.

By the way, I found out that the 87D does not work with a blower lid and the unit runs $4200 + freight.... yikes! I'm certainly not going that route.

I have run a wallas cook top in my 24 Olympic for the past 4 years. It works well, but have had to replace the fuel pump twice (they are supposed to last a lifetime).
    One issue that has come up is that if you are cooking on the highest setting for more the 10 minutes, the high temp cut off senser is tripped and it goes into shut down mode, at least 20 minutes before you have heat again.
    A big plus is that it burns little fuel, 7 ml an hour on the highest setting.
    That said, if I had to do it over again, I would put in a toyo heater and a propane or ETOH stove. Nathan in Sitka

I have the two burner alcohol stove, I have a little bottle of alcohol to fill the two "bowl-like" containers. Its plenty for a few weekend outtings of cooking and heating up the cab. I also have a Coleman propane tent heater that works well for heating up the cab also. I usually crack a window when either one is in use, the stove clears the windows nicely in the morning. The stove is great and works awesome, it is just interesting to have an open flame in the cab of your boat, sometimes hard to get the mind wrapped around the idea. Just a thought