Thread: what do you recommend?

Default what do you recommend?

I am trying to figure the best boat for the money for around 4000.00. I like to deer hunt and fish the waters of southeast alaska. I make no plans to fish nasty conditions but was hoping to have a boat/skiff safe enough to get my out of harms way and also be somewhat fuel effeciant. Ive considerd 18'lunds,vintage fiberglass run abouts, duroboats, 15'arimas and cheap whalers. I have listened to many pro's and cons already but would love for anybody to help me further eliminate choices.
    Thanks for any advice.

Cool Stay semi-V or better

There's far wiser boat advisers than I on this forum, but having ran around S.E. Alaska near the Wrangell area many times, I would advise against the popular all-flat-bottom skiffs you see all over the S.E. Get something with at least a Semi-V, and something in the 16-18ft range is a very usable size. This may put you somewhat above your $4000 price range.
    The Klamath Offshore's and Bayrunners are excellent boats in this price range. I mention these because they are welded hulls vs. rivited. A 50hp will push these boats with ease. The flat bottom skiffs get very dicey when the winds kick up in that bigger water; I've been in 'em out there, and the pounding you take ( both to your body as well as your nerves )isn't fun. The V-hull is a much safer, and smoother ride in the chop, and ought to be a minimum for starters...

Seems like a Lund, Whaler, or Bayrunner would be a good choice for SE. I see dozens of whalers running around Sitka on almost any given weekend. A lot of guys run Lunds, but I'd probably get a Bayrunner over a Lund if I had to pick. They seem to be great skiffs and won't hurt your wallet running a 40 or 50 hp motor. There was an 18 foot Lund with a 40 hp Yamaha here in town a few of months ago but it sold. I looked at it for a run around skiff. The owner wanted 8K for it but it was almost new. According to him, he could run from Petersburg to Wrangell and back on a 6 gallon tank and still have fuel in reserve. If you could run all day on 20-30 bucks that would be a pretty inexpensive setup.

thanks for the info. I will check into some bayrunners. as well.

Default Duroboat for sale

I saw this here in town today. If you are interested the phone number on the sign is 966-2638 and the asking price is 2900. Fits the budget and the style for the most part. I don't know who owns it but I thought about this post when I saw it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info. I got the duroboat mentioned above for 2200.00. I have not officialy closed the deal. but I doubt he will back out. Not the Greatest motor but It it runs well. It comes with a close to new four stroke kicker so I think I got a good enough deal.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Thumbs up Great ending

Burton,
    That is cool you took the time to take the picture and post it here for Elhewman.

Congratulations on the new ride Elhewman.

Default Skiff

I also think a Lund would be about right for that price. I have seen several of them here in Juneau for around that price. I have a 16' North River skiff, and it works great around here.

I'm new to boating, but when looking for a boat, I was always skeptical of buying a used boat in that price range, since you don't really know what you might get with the motor. You just don't want to have to replace the motor after you've just put $4000 into the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    Thanks for the info. I got the duroboat mentioned above for 2200.00. I have not officialy closed the deal. but I doubt he will back out. Not the Greatest motor but It it runs well. It comes with a close to new four stroke kicker so I think I got a good enough deal.
    I know the guy who's selling that boat. Good guy, you should be just fine.

So far I am very happy about the skiff. And the the previous owner has been helpful with all my questions. Thanks again for all the help

I just wanted to say nice work by all the members here helping with the purchase of that boat. That is what us alaskans do. Have fun and do share some stories about your trips with it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default nice!

great to see the camraderie and helping-out to those who want to experience the AK we know. well done to all.

That's pretty cool that it worked out for you. I thought that would be right up your alley after I read your post. Congrats, have fun with it!