Thread: long lake north of sutton

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default long lake north of sutton

anyone been up there to check the ice yet? im going to check the thickeness on fire lake this weekend, seen footprints around the edges near the pulloff and its looking like it has a couple inches. if this cold keeps up i was thinking about heading up to long lake during the turkey day weekend to check out the fishing. heard a rumor of a rather nice size laker taken out of long lake, anyone know anything about this? lets hope the storm dosent bring in warm weather and too much snow.

Default true

2 years ago I pulled out an 11lbs laker from that lake - it was 30 inches long. Tell me how to post pics on here, and I will post it. I let him go though. I dont think many are in there so I always let the big ones go.

Default Long lake

I fished it a few times last winter and only caught small dollies. I set a few tip-ups out for burbot and had one flag while fishing hooligan off from the bottom in about 50 FOW. I never hooked whatever took the bait, but it did take about 20 foot of line off the spool. It's a very deep and very clear lake. I also seen the article in the ADN earlier this year and that confirmed what I thought about the lake. I think there are lakers in there, but to be successful probably boils down to knowing where to fish for them.

I too was planning on checking out the ice around Eagle River tommorow. I see that the river is almost froze across... The smaller lakes such as Mirrorr must have enough ice to fish on by now? Especially if you say there were tracks on Fire Lake.

Default not there yet

I went up to mile 117 of the glenn last week end. Going by Long lake it was still Ice free except for right by the acsess. Dont take the chance yet the lake is vary deep off the glenn side. I think 90 feet. Off the second set of rocks way down the lake I saw some big lakers last year while I was paddiling around the lake. But I havent found out how to catch them yet one year I caght a nice bow ice fishing it had the bust meat of any trout that I've ate. after I skined it it looked just like a red salmon. if the ice is not safe drive back to Bonnie Lake it's hid from the sun and shelterd more from the wind it's the first like I fish in the winter. you can walk out to the end of the dock to drill a test hole. the fish are not that big but you can finde lots last year i caught a 18 incher and a grayling useing a small jig

Default Long Lake

From ADN:

A hefty lake trout pulled from Long Lake along the Glenn Highway has sparked an investigation into whether the state has a new, resident population of the far north char. Matanuska-Susitna area resident ******** caught the 34-inch-long, 22-pound fat-bellied laker Sept. 27 on her second fishing trip to the long, thin lake that fills an old Talkeetna Mountain canyon just off the Glenn Highway not far from Chickaloon.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Deepercreek View Post
    From ADN:

A hefty lake trout pulled from Long Lake along the Glenn Highway has sparked an investigation into whether the state has a new, resident population of the far north char. .....
    That lake has been stocked since before statehood, and just about every species has been put in there at least once.

Fishing it, however, is an art. Gotta' know when, where, and how for each species. The last winter it was open for overnight burbot sets I fished it all winter with little success.

checked out fire lake this evening and it is about 2 to 2 1/2 inches. used a sharp spud bar to break through and got spooked when the ice cracked after a blow from the spud bar about 100 feet off shore. stay close to the edges if you plan on going out. might run up to long lake tomorrow for a gander.

Default Anyone interested in going to Long lake next Weekend?

I was wondering if anyone is interested in going there next weekend. Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I live in east anchorage, Have a truck, two man eskimo shelter and a power auger with fishing gear. Anyone that knows how to fish it would be great. Send me a private message.

I checked the ice on the local lakes and in my honest opinon there is not enough yet.... I seen the tracks on fire lake and where someone drilled a few holes but the gray areas towards the center that had dark spots in the middle told me that it wasn't ready yet.... Mirror lake was similar. I am going to wait atleast a few more days, trout are not risking my life over... Walleyes maybe! :-)

well long lake is completely froze over and i chopped a few test holes not far from the parking area. i determined about 4 inches of ice in the two areas. if the lake took longer to freeze up further out i imagine its thinner out there. might still check it out next week if the cold keeps up.

I agree with mark. you need to know when and where for that lake timing is crucial. But i have noticed that the lake is not what it used to be when it was being stocked. I dont catch nearly as many small lakers as i used to. Vance

Mark

The last winter I fished it regularly (and this was several years ago) all the small fish I caught were rainbows. No char or lakers at all. And I only caught a few mediocre sized burbot.