Thread: Thoughts - Ruger M77 MKII vs Hawkeye

Default Thoughts - Ruger M77 MKII vs Hawkeye

I'm looking to buy a 338 WM Ruger rifle, SS/SYN. I really like the price/reputation of Rugers, but need some opinions (I know there are a lot of them out there on this site ) on the main differences between the MKII line and the new Hawkeyes. Are the improvements worth the $100 or so price difference?

Thanks!

I haven't handled a Hwkeye, but here's how I handle this kind of question concerning my professional tools:

Do you have any issues with features in the odler version?

Do improvements in the newer model address your issues?

Are there advantages to the newer model over and above your issues, which you will be willing to pay for?

List your issues with the M77 and compare them with the Hawkeye. An improvement as basic as the trigger for example could make it a non-question, if you bought the M77, but then had to buy a replacement trigger. If you can live withe the M77 trigger, then you're saving $100 by buying it.

Default mkII

I love my ruger mkII in 300 win mag but ive dropped some coin getting it to shoot. The trigger is the first thing to go. IMHO i would buy a Tikka or remington before i bought another ruger. Or maybe a Kimber if i could. Hillbilly

Default ruger

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I love my ruger mkII in 300 win mag but ive dropped some coin getting it to shoot. The trigger is the first thing to go. IMHO i would buy a Tikka or remington before i bought another ruger. Or maybe a Kimber if i could. Hillbilly
    I put a Timney trigger on mine (really easy to do), and that was all I needed to get it to shoot. I haven't handled a Hawkeye yet, but the cost of the trigger about covers the extra cost of the newer rifles. If you factor that in, its a wash as far as price goes, so unless there is something else about the Hawkeye that you see as an advantage over the Mk II, I think its 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Keep in mind that a good gun smith, or a person who has the skills can tune a Ruger M77 trigger, although it's much easier to replace the trigger with a Timney's. Gun smiths can use instructions such as these:
    http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

Default yep

its worth one bill. M77 Mark II's need a new trigger if anything, and thats $100 by itself. Better ergonomic stock, a little trimmed down, sure, its worth it. But, I own 2 M77's myself, and I prefer the Timney trigger. Both shoot very well.

Default vs

I own both of these rifles in 7mm.
    Not to dog my old reliable, as it has done me well and was always my "go to" gun, but the new hawkeye is a huge step up for Ruger.
    The trigger is unbeatable and the recoils is reduced by a substantial margin.
    Just my opinion, I would recommend either, but the hawkeye has me hooked.

I've handled a few Hawkeyes and must say that the feel of the forearm is a huge improvement. It's very slender, like a Rem. 700 CDL or Mountain rifle with wrap-around checkering which gives it a more positive grip in my opinion. To me, that alone makes it worth it but when you throw in a much improved trigger...turns it into a no-brainer to me!

I like the original M77s but they would have to be drastically marked down (much more than $100) for me to choose one over a hawkeye. Oh, the blue on the blue/walnut version is matte too, another improvement in my opinion.

Dave

Love my .300WM, shot it until I got used to it to where I KNOW I'll drop what I am shooting at, moose.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Love my .300WM, shot it until I got used to it to where I KNOW I'll drop what I am shooting at, moose.
    And I love my .338WM. Not only do know that it will drop what I am shooting at (moose or anything else), but can do it with a 180-grain bullet up to 300. Nothing wrong with a .300WM; it's a very popular cartridge, and as popular as the .338WM in Alaska.