Thread: .22 mag for varmints?

Default .22 mag for varmints?

Will .22 mag do the job for coyote?
    Can a guy get the distance/velocity with that load?

Thanks for replies!

Frank

Default Yes

I have shot plenty of coyotes and Bobcats growing up with a .22 LR. I preferred this to a .223 or .22/250 because the damage to the pelt was minimal. I also practiced almost daily so I was very accurate. So I see no reason that a .22 mag wont work. I tried the .17 since I got up here and had a hard time finding ammo that didnt tear up the pelt any more than the .22 so I went back to it. Just my .02 cents.

Default better yet

read this and make your choices.. 17 HMR is different from the Remington. I have a 17 Remington and love it.

http://www.varminter.com/particles/wt17.html

http://www.coyotegods.com/pagepart15.html

Default 9 times out of 10 probably....

i've shot coyotes with many different rounds (22lr, 22mag, 17hmr, .223, 22-250, and even a 9mm). I prefer .223 or 22-250. Coyotes can be a pretty tough animal. I would rather have that extra nock down power to drop the dog were he stands, especialy if your hunting in cover or grassy areas. Just my .02... I'm sure someone will get on here and say it's all about shot placement, but what happens when you pull a bad shot? I'm not afraid to admit i miss every now and then, so i would rather have a little extra gun and not enough. Again just my .02
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

I never used a 22 mag for coyotes but I have used the 22LR. I took a fair amount with it but to be certain of a quick kill it had to be a head shot and because of this small target I limited myself to 50yds. I eventually hit a couple that were not recovered and stopped using it. At the time I then went to a 12ga. with #4 buck finding it to be 100% effective within 50yds, even at a dead run. Basically if it was within 50 yards it was dead.

Of course the mag is a step up but I don't think it is a huge step. I'd say you are limited to around 75, I think 100 would be pushing the limit of a responsible shot.

I am a furtaker and I now like the Hornet. On coyote it makes a nice 150 yard gun. Without the super velocity you can use the frangibles without worrying about a blowout on the animal. You can also go with a standard bullet that almost always gets an exit but it is repairable.

Isn't it funny how the newest kid (or caliber) on the block makes the old standby useless!!!! Sure the newer models work, but they don't make the old ones NOT work.

Respect the range limits of the 22 mag, and there's no reason it won't whap a coyote or any other varmint the same way it did last year, ten years ago, or twenty years ago.

I've beaned no end of coyotes and foxes with it over the years. Put a good hollowpoint in the lungs, and like as not they'll drop on the spot. If they move, they aren't going far.

But if you are hankering for something a little flashier, by all means buy it. The effectiveness of the 22 mag doesn't mean they won't work either.

Thumbs up

I have only limited experience with the 22 mag on coyotes, but from what I've done with it, I liked. It does have an effective range, I'd put at 70-80 yds for coyotes. I have observed a friend shoot one cleanly and kill it at 150yds, but too me, that's pushing it and I personally wouldn't have done it. Other critters like foxes or a small lynx or a bobcat might get whacked out to a 100yds, but that's the shooters call there. To answer the original question though, "will a 22 mag do the job on a coyote?" You bet your (you know what) it will as long as you know your guns capabilities. Good luck..

Default Yote getters

I grew up in southern Minnesota shooting red fox. I killed many with a .222, .17rem and .22 Hornet.

Also, shot several Coyotes with all three. The triple deuce is my favorite, however I would not hesitate with any of them.

For the .17 fans out there, I love them. However, the day you carry your .17 is the day Mr. Wolf will show up...Then what??? (I know, SHOOT!)

Happy Hunting.

Default works good

I bought a 22 mag just for coyotes a couple winters ago. For more open stuff I have the .222 (I love that gun/cartridge!) and if it'll be closer quarters I have the semiauto 22mag. It cycles fine well below zero by the way and it is great for shooting hares on the hike out! I kept it open sights because its my inside of 100 yd gun so I don't need a scope and no scope to frost up, get dinged etc is good. BTW the gun is a Remington and I got is for about half what a Ruger costs and it drives tacks almost impressively. If you are looking at semi's there my input.

Ive watched alot of predator calling videos. Seen lots of coyotes on them anchored with the 22 mag. Along with foxes and Bobcats. It seemed to do a good job all the way out to 100 yards.

Yesterday I brought home a 22 mag. autoloader with shooting coyotes in mind.
    I lost too many using a 22 LR.

Default VMax .22 Mag

Frank,

You didn't specify how far you want to shoot them, so I'll just chime in with what I know. I used the Remington 32 grain VMax ballistic tip bullets in my .22 Mag for a couple of years, they shoot really good groups out to 100 yards (as far as I tried to sight mine in, as I use it for squirrels mostly) and shoots really flat too. I stopped using the VMax bullets 'cause they tear a squirrel up, and if I didn't make a head shot I was ruining meat.

I would think they'd do fine on 'yotes to at leaast 100 yards, but they sure might make a mess of the fur!

Michael

17 mach II works good for me