Thread: 2008 Ski-Doo Expedition Sport?

Default 2008 Ski-Doo Expedition Sport?

I'm looking for my first sled, but don't know what I should buy.

I want something with the following:

As light as possible
    Reverse
    2-passenger capable
    Reliable
    Good suspension
    Power to climb hills
    Storage space, or ability to pull a cargo sled of some sort w/ about 100 lbs of gear.

I'm not a 70mph driver. I don't plan on doing any high-marking, and I don't plan on trying any huge jumps.

I do plan on riding trails AND lots of powder. I want something that's comfortable and dependable for me and my wife (180 & 120 lbs) to ride.

Would the Expedition Sportbe a good choice? What else is comperable?

Thanks for the help.

Default Some input.

Zeb,

The Expedition is a trail and work sled. I know what there advertising says, but...... It will be great for groomed trails and towing. This sled will not be a sled for sporting around in deep powder, especially with a passenger. The only exception would be in wide open spaces. The truth of the matter is, two-up on any sled will not be as fun as by yourself. I have seen many get into riding and start the same way, one sled for two people. It doesn't take long for them to realize the passenger is freezing her ***** off and then nobody is having fun.... Those sleds are built for touring groomed trails.

The sled is only a 136". 136" is bare minimum for 1 rider on a light sled in deep powder. I have a 136" 500F my 100lb. daughter rides. When I get on it, it's wide open throttle in powder to keep it moving and climb a hill. It gets around but my wifes 600 liquid with a 136" eats it up in powder and hills. The difference is black and white.

If you are new to riding and on a $9000 budget, I would recommend looking into two used sleds. Your wife will have a lot more fun, (passengers do not have as much enjoyment as drivers) and for $4500 each you could get two great reliable sleds and have the safety of two sleds. I have done the touring/work sleds, the 500F sport sleds, the cross-over sleds, and the mountain sleds. I feel you would really be happier with a couple of 600cc 144" moutain sleds with a hitch on each. I tow sleds with well over 100lbs. on a regular basis to my remote cabin. Last year, while doing a cow moose hunt, I towed a whole quartered moose out and gear 45 miles on a very hard icy trail, never had a problem.

Mountain sleds are so far improved the past few years. They make them comfortable for the trails and FUN in the powder.

Hope this helps.

I agree completely....two-up sounds good in theory, but only on groomed trails. Even if you go boondocking with only one rider on the sled, two-up machines are considerably heavier and typically don't perform very well in the deep stuff. Another thing to think about is the added safety traveling in pairs. I have been on more than one trip where a machine is being towed out for one reason or another.

Check out Craigslist for a deal on two used RMK's, Summits, etc. with at least a 136" (144" preferred). There have been some good deals on two machines AND a trailer in the $5-9K range lately.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have an 06 Expedition sport and it works for me, and on occasion the wife. We both exceed your weight by a bit. It is a little unnerving with a passenger or 2 on anything including trails. It seems tippy with the weight on the back not doing the right thing, like leaning and such.

I don't seem to get stuck as much as some of my buddies, unless I'm trying.

Later

Thumbs up Play, touring, work... What sled for Alaska!

Reallllly 2 types of two-ups as stock... Touring and Working

The subsets for Tour sleds are Trail Touring and Deluxe "luxury" Trail Touring

The Working sleds sub-groupings are light duty "multi-purpose" and heavy-weight, less-versatile "beasts"

I've never been a big fan of the touring or work sled variety here in Alaska with the only exceptions being on trail use and tractor-like applications. They weigh a whole lot, have sluggish handling, don't like the deep stuff, and are not purpose built for play. If you ever get them really stuck... you'll swear that these certainly are "tours of duty & work sleds."

2-ups are also not a good choice on bumpy trails or when venturing off trail... crossing any side slope/uneven, going up or down steeper hills, icy conditions, obstacles, or finding yourself exploring some deep snow riding. Emergency handling is poor.

On the other hand - let's also relate that some of these 2-ups feature the best fuel efficiency, least amount of emissions, and most quiet running technologies.

Having 2-up on 1 machine in multi-user & use mode as well as first time buyer on a certain budget is a tough one --- it will be best to find 2 sleds new &/or used 550 fan to 600 liquid mountain, crossover, sport class type... 136" or longer track and more aggressive paddles.

Also keep in perspective that purchasing a new (or good used) machine is more than a chunk of change. You'll wanna be expecting riding some 30-50 days to make it an investment of sorts. Here at Alaska Snow Safaris, we rent several models to try before you buy and offer guided tours. We will have the Ski-Doo 550 Tundra that could just be the ticket if it's gotta be a two up.

Brian Richardson
    http://www.snowmobile-alaska.com

Hey Zeb,

There's a pair of 06 Expeditions for sale on craigslist (rv section) right now. The guy is asking $5500 each, but says he'll make a deal if both are bought together. He's got posted that one has 338 miles and the other has 328 miles. He's got Pilot 6.9 skis on them, Skidoo covers and bags.

Might be worth looking in to.

Ken

Zeb-I agree with upstream. Those two Expeditions on craigslist look good. I prefer the '05 and '06 Expeditions to the new one. When you are one up riding you can take the passenger seat off to make it a bit more "sporty".

Brian-I know it wouldn't be considered the norm, but I need to take you to Thompson and show you what a TUV 600 can do in the mountains. I'm not sure why you think a work sled can't hang in the powder either. Good post and I agree with everything else. I second trying different machines before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Zeb-I agree with upstream. Those two Expeditions on craigslist look good. I prefer the '05 and '06 Expeditions to the new one. When you are one up riding you can take the passenger seat off to make it a bit more "sporty".
    Exactly. Those seats are awesome if you want the option to haul some small stuff. Just remove the back portion of the seat, and you've got space to strap down some stuff.

Sure wish that hadn't gone away from that seat design. I'd have really like to seen something like it on the new Tundra LT.

Ken

Default Reading another forum

I was reading another forum about the Skidoo LT and apparently you can put the freesyle seat on the LT. Might be something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I was reading another forum about the Skidoo LT and apparently you can put the freesyle seat on the LT. Might be something to look into.

Yeah, I was the one complaining about the dealer wanting $500-600 for the Freestyle seat in that thread on top of what they quoted me on the sled.

With the year models of Expeditions we're talking about, the seat goes from two up to one up by popping the back seat off. Nice design without having to buy an additional seat to get what you want.

Ken

Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

It sounds like you all are saying that on a limited budget 2 used mountain sleds are the way to go for safety and fun. That makes a lot of sense. I have a lot of 4-wheeler experience and I couldn't imagine riding 2-up on side-hills, or rough terrain. It also wouldn't be very safe to take off way back into the middle of nowhere on a single sled.

So, for now I think I'll browse Craigslist for deals. Thanks everyone.

-Zeb

Default Expedition Sport

I live in Montana, and i own a Ski Doo 2008 Expedition Sport 800. I bought for my wife, and she won't ride it, so. Its for sale. It has very low time on it. Let me know if you are interested.

Note: Thread DATE..........2007