Thread: wolverine

Default wolverine

A wolverine by passed a fox snare i had put out . I am new to trapping . I bought a conabear today and want to set it back in the area . What are the chances of him returning to the same spot again . I had a beaver carcass near my snare

Default go for it

they seem to come back through as long as they don't get snagged by someone else. It may be like 3 weeks but they usually work their circuit back around.

You may think about setting dummy set near the entrance of your cubby if you feel he is going to be trap shy and hang right at the entrance and refuse to go through the conibear.

Set snares in his exact trail, the next time around he may be walking in his same tracks.

Default dummy set

what is a dummy set ? ?

Default Use a Cubby!

I suggest use a cubby set fit for a 330 I make mine out of plywood, hang it on a tree very near his used trail and up a tree about 4 foot on the heighth with what ever bait you have I found beaver or porcupines work best. Finish the set off with some long distance call lure up above the box and maybe some type of sight attractant. Good luck you should get him in a few weeks with that recipe.

Default dummy set

or that's what a buddy called it anyhow. After setting up a nice big cubby with a 330 guarding it, bed a #9 Alaskan or similar at the entrance to one side. That way if he refuses to go in the cubby, you may snag him while he is nosing around the set.

DO NOT use wire to tie off your leghold!!! Use cable or chain. A wolverine will twist and kink wire until it breaks.

My dad had the best luck with cubby's for wolverines. We never could find a sure fire way to hold them in Legholds. We recovered one when we used a drag. But man, we went a long way before we caught up to him.