Thread: Polaris 6x6 Ranger

Default Polaris 6x6 Ranger

I am looking to get a Ranger in the near future and was looking for any pros and cons of this rig. I need something in the side by side config due to a two year old son. Any words of wisdom on the 6x6 ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    I am looking to get a Ranger in the near future and was looking for any pros and cons of this rig. I need something in the side by side config due to a two year old son. Any words of wisdom on the 6x6 ranger?
    I've heard good things about it, have you looked at the Polaris "razor"? Same thing but a little narrower for the nimble trails.

The 4 wheel version rides smoother, but it's hard to beat having an extra set of tires on the ground. I have the 6x in the old style. It is lacking some power in the steep hills. Of course it's had a rough life and the motor is getting tired. The later model has more power and rides a bit better due to the longer wheel base. The newer one has the 700 EFI and is great. The downside to the 6x compared to the 4x4 is ground clearance. If you don't let it get high centered and have a good set of mud tires on it the 6x is near unstoppable. I can't imagine owning a UTV or ATV with 4 tires.

Default agree

pros: goes anywhere, huge bed and tons of other space to tack, sling, tie stuff on. comfortable, smooth riding, goes great through fast water due to weight,
    cons:big, wide, takes a good sized trailer, hmmmmm i think that is about it for cons

Ah crap. I've been waiting for the appropriate time for this picture. The fast water comment above makes it that time.

If I were in ANY smaller of a rig I would have been standing in waist deep water watching it barrel roll around the corner. Up to this point I had regularly taken water over the hood, but I was done for when it went over the bed rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up 6X6 Ranger

Just like with any machine they have their limitations. The only negatives I have found with mine were the stock tires (go with mud lights) & the width on some trails. I will not own a four wheeler again, even if it is not a side by side it will have 6 tires. All of the ďproblemsĒ I have had were self inflicted (I can make it through that tight space) but since I changed tires I have not been stuck. As a matter of fact a friend of mine and I went through a mud hole (after we drained about 8 inches of water) that the coming out side was about a 3 Ĺ feet almost straight up, I thought for sure we would have to winch but both of our rangers climbed out no problem I was standing there shaking my head when he drove out, then I did it, awesome machines. And that is does not even touch on the amount of cargo you can carry, they are IMO the best thing going!

Joe

Default a real 6X6

Go Argo Or Dont Bother To Go
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

I have a buddy who has one and he loves it. A little bigger than what I want though ( I think). Check out this site. There are a few Ranger guys over there.

http://www.utilityoffroad.com/

Check out this Rhino video

http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/sharky.wmv
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I thought the Rino had the option of diff lock in the front? Both times that guy was coming out of the water the left front tire wasn't turning. Can any Yamaha guys shed some light on this?

As far as too big, it all depends on where you ride. Most of the trails out there were made by bigger rigs than the Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I thought the Rino had the option of diff lock in the front? Both times that guy was coming out of the water the left front tire wasn't turning. Can any Yamaha guys shed some light on this?

As far as too big, it all depends on where you ride. Most of the trails out there were made by bigger rigs than the Ranger.
    Ya, I have a 660 Griz which is the same running gear as the Rhino. The Griz and Rhino definitely have full front diff lock with the push of a button. I noticed the same thing. He didn't have it locked in. It looks like he may have made it out the first time if he would have. And when he had it in reverse you could hear it sputtering. He was up against the reverse rev limiter. He needs to override that thing with a ground switch. I did it to my Griz. Same thing with the rev limiter for diff lock. Maybe that's why he didn't have it locked in. If the speedo hits 15mph when in diff lock the rev limiter kicks in. He was spinning them pretty good in that water.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks for clearing that up Snyd. I figured they had diff lock capability, but I forgot they were built to compete with the wheeler market and unfortunately got the rev limiter with that. Any idea why they use a rev limiter for diff lock?

Ah crap. I've been waiting for the appropriate time for this picture. The fast water comment above makes it that time.

If I were in ANY smaller of a rig I would have been standing in waist deep water watching it barrel roll around the corner. Up to this point I had regularly taken water over the hood, but I was done for when it went over the bed rails.
    Wow, thats now where I woulda crossed!! Been through some pretty deep/fast water with your regular good 'ol four wheeler, you just have to pick and choose (more than you would with one of these rigs I guess). Anyways, another con which hasn't been brought up yet is, obviously, initial cost. These things are REALLY expensive, IMO.

Thanks for clearing that up Snyd. I figured they had diff lock capability, but I forgot they were built to compete with the wheeler market and unfortunately got the rev limiter with that. Any idea why they use a rev limiter for diff lock?
    I suppose they think someone might lock the diff and try drive 50 or something. With the diff locked you can't hardly steer it on dry hard ground. It's a true locker. I usually only use it for water crossings or deep long mudholes and it works great for that and you can steer... well, sort of

Mod elan,
    Did you drive out of that? My intakes are under the hood!

I have a Ranger XP 06, and have gone through water nice a steady that was pushing the 4-wheeler down stream. I started getting nervous when the water came over the top of my boots.

Thanks for the picture.

AkThad- Unfortunately I did not drive out of that. Next summer it will be snorkeled better. I like crossing rivers and creeks in the Ranger since it won't float like a wheeler. I was prepared with the tools and enough stuff to do 2 oil changes, just not snorkeled like I should have been. Of course it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't daydreaming! Most of the blame should go to my hunting "buddy" whom two minutes prior had given me kudos on my water reading ability. I was jinxed!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

edit- I usually drive with hip boots on if that says anything.
    Last edited by mod elan; 11-25-2007 at 20:01. Reason: addition

Talking I guess I was wrong!

My son and I thought you had it "going on" Mod! I guess not.
    Joe