Thread: 338 WM, 160gr Barnes

Default 338 WM, 160gr Barnes

Anyone got the loading data for this? All I can find on the Barnes website is the 185gr. and up.

I'd also be interested in any tips on loading the 338WM for a newbie.

Thanks!

Ken

Cool 160 Barnes

I have a copy of a Barnes Reloading Manual # 2, that has data for the 160 grain XFB for the 338 Mag.
    What data are you looking for? Types of powder? It looks like a max load one can get 3200fps+. Starting loads seem to be 3000 +.

A friend got a reloading setup at a garage sale this summer, so we're both just getting started out with reloading. Actually, we haven't started yet.

We're planning (talking about) our first black tail hunt for next year, and he asks what I'm planning to take. My answer, my 338 (it's all I own in the way of rifles). His reply is that I'm going a little heavy for deer with the 338.

So, I start looking at what my 338 options are, and stumble across the 160gr Barnes. I'm thinking that might be a good starting point for loading up our first batch of handloads (and might not be a bad round for next year's hunt either).

That's kind of where I'm at. Just starting out.

Ken

Default Just the right insurance

I hunt with a 375 H&H with handloaded 235's for blacktail and carry 5 300 gr.- for just in case, and I don't think that I'm over gunned for deer, in fact, once you have a close encounter with a bear you will be glad to have that rifle, I promise you...

The 338 with heavy bullets is actually pretty good for deer sized game. The bullets don't expand so no loss of meat due to blood shot and you have some authority if you have a bad encounter with Mr. Grizz. KK

Default Books

I did the same thing a number of years ago. I would suggest that you use a respectable amount of caution when start out on you loads. Start with light charges and work up from there. Remember you are working for accuracy and energy. The fastest loads are not always the best. Also head down to any place you can buy reloading supplies and buy several reloading books. You will use them every time you reload. I like Barnes bullets because my rifles shoot them reasonably accurately and they retain a lot of their weight giving them more penetrating energy IMHO. Just my $0.02

Drew

Thanks for the info so far. I kinda thought I'd be ok with the 338 for next fall's hunt. Not only for the hunt, but for the possibilities of what could happen as well.

And I think loading up some of the 160gr Barnes would be a neat place to start loading and firing.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    A friend got a reloading setup at a garage sale this summer, so we're both just getting started out with reloading. Actually, we haven't started yet.

We're planning (talking about) our first black tail hunt for next year, and he asks what I'm planning to take. My answer, my 338 (it's all I own in the way of rifles). His reply is that I'm going a little heavy for deer with the 338.

So, I start looking at what my 338 options are, and stumble across the 160gr Barnes. I'm thinking that might be a good starting point for loading up our first batch of handloads (and might not be a bad round for next year's hunt either).

That's kind of where I'm at. Just starting out.

Ken
    Just buy a box or two of Federal with a 180-grain bullet of your choice. These are loaded at 3120 fps, I believe, which at close range will probably punch a big hole through deer lungs. Keep in mind that you can still shoot deer through the lungs with a 250-grain bullet, and probably do less damage to valuable meat.