Thread: Moose 2008 Help

Default Moose 2008 Help

Hey guys...I need some help. I am looking for a trophy moose hunt for the fall of 2008. I am looking for a guided hunt and money is no obstical. Just looking for a reliable outfit. Some ideas would be nice. I will have one NR hunting with me. Thanks!!

Dean Hilde 47 Creek Outfitters 907 227-4553

Default Money No Object...

if that's the case, Google "Alaska guided moose hunts" and check out some of the outfits that guide on the peninsula....might cost you 10-20k, but they get some big moose there.

Michael

Talk to Northwind Guide Service and tell them exactly what you to told us. They will fix you up with a real trophy moose. If you are amind to, they will probably get you a couple of grizzlies out of the same location. Basically, if you pay for a general hunt, at the normal fee, the animal is going to be representatvie of that. Any guide worth his salt, knows the area and the animals in it. Some don't though and will just hunt sorta freelance style, without pre-scouting and setting up for a specific animal, on the off chance you get a good one now and then. To consistantly take trophy animals, one has to spend a lot of money, time and effort in a given area. Not just show up on the season opener and start looking for one from the ground. If you are willing to pay the big bucks, extra effort and expense will be put out. Good Luck

Virgil Umphenour, (907) 456-3885 Work, (907) 456-3994 FAX akhunt@ptialaska.net

I have known Virgil for years, both he and his son guide. I have read several articles in hunting magazines recently where the authors were guided by Virgil. Look back a couple of months in your major hunting magazines and you will see the results of his hunts. I know several guides in the interior of Alaska, and Virgil is the only one I will recommend, the others are just looking for a fast buck. Call him and talk to him, he just might be what you are looking for. Nothing else you will get information on what his areas are like. If he does not go to the area you are looking for he can give you recommendations on who hunts those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Virgil Umphenour, (907) 456-3885 Work, (907) 456-3994 FAX akhunt@ptialaska.net

I have known Virgil for years, both he and his son guide. I have read several articles in hunting magazines recently where the authors were guided by Virgil. Look back a couple of months in your major hunting magazines and you will see the results of his hunts. I know several guides in the interior of Alaska, and Virgil is the only one I will recommend, the others are just looking for a fast buck. Call him and talk to him, he just might be what you are looking for. Nothing else you will get information on what his areas are like. If he does not go to the area you are looking for he can give you recommendations on who hunts those areas.
    I second VIRGIL, if I had the money for a hunt like that it would be with him!

Default Choice's

I would have to say there are many good and a few great guides. I know Gary "Butch" King has some of the best hunting area's and takes alot of record book animals, but price is very high. Also have a good friend that has hunted with Virgil and says he is the real thing. Also, Wayne Kubat has some great area. Most of the extremely high priced and high success rates spends alot of money locating moose.

Good luck and enjoy Alaska.

Terry

Default Good luck with the bull system

Hilljack69

I understand it is not the price your concerned with and I think that's great you don't have to handicap yourself in that regard.

You have gotten some recommendations and that's good too but you might want to know more about what some of us call the "bull system" in order to have the best shot at getting what you THINK your paying for.

IN ALASKA "Outfitters" and "Guides" are lumped into one category of "business" operators. It might be helpful to understand that so you can ask the right questions and actually understand the "system" your buying into.

The currently accepted practice in ALASKA is; the guide-outfitter you pay your money to in many, if not most cases; WILL NOT BE the actual person guiding your hunt.

So, you contract a commercial service commonly known as a guided hunt from an individual person that is licensed by the State of Alaska as a professional "guide-outfitter". Also licensed by the State within the category of guide-outfitter is a class of guides known as "assistant guide". Assistant guides are not authorized to represent or conduct themselves at the professional or commercial level.

The Professional guide-outfitter you buy your hunt from may likely have no intention of personally guiding you but fulfills a standard contract (developed by the State of Alaska) with you by simply providing the outfitting service and a person to guide your hunt.

The standard guide-outfitter contract and current industry practices make no practical promise as to what level of professional guide service you are going to receive "in the field".

In most cases it will be an "assistant" guide performing as an employee or contractor to the person you bought the hunt from acting as the professional hunter performing the duties "in the field" of a "guide".

It is not unusual for the assistant guide to likely have less hunting experience than you do, may not have ever hunted the area before and in fact you're hunt may be the first commercial hunt the "assistant" has ever taken any part in at all.

Currently guide-outfitters are not required to disclose who is going to actually guide your hunt including the qualifications and professional experience level of the actual guide you will have until you physically go to the field. If they did disclose this at any time prior to you going to the field; they would reasonably find it harder to "sell" more commercial/professional hunts than they can actually guide themselves and subsequently find it necessary to consider adjusting their hunt prices based on the experience level of the actual guide in order to sustain their "business" of selling and outfitting more guided hunts than they can possibly do themselves.

I know you're concern is not the price but as it is now; you pay the same to hunt with an assistant guide [who by definition has not reached the journeyman or professional status of "guide"] with little or no experience as you do to hunt with the State Licensed professional person turned "business" manager you bought your hunt from. So by now you know what to ask and what to get on paper before you actually buy a hunt.

There are assistants that for one reason or another have not reached the professional level of "guide" but at least have significant experience and have participated in multiple commercial/professional hunts in the area you are legal to hunt in and with the species you are hunting. In this case; the guide-outfitter you buy your hunt from should not have any reservations of introducing you to who you are actually going to be hunting with prior to your arrival in camp.

Likewise; there are guides who actually guide; and at least one of them has been already recommended. If you want another one or two send me a pm.
    Don't confuse yourself further by trying to figure out what a master-guide-outfitter is OR an Alaska Guide-Pilot.............it is still the same "bull system".

Again; good luck finding "the real deal".

***There are 350 or so active guide-outfitters and around 1000 assistants.

***Less than 200 guide and assistant guides are paid members of the Alaska Professional Hunters trade association considered (politically) to be "representing" State licensed guide-outfitters and assistants as the whole.

Default Wow

That was one of the best replies I have read on this forum. Of the services I mentioned you wont probably get gary king or wayne kubat, you will get great service(with great track records) and great area's and many hours in the air locating trophy moose.

Terry

If money was no object and I wanted a trophy moose it would probably be with McMillan River Outfitters in Canada.

Brow Palms or I would be looking Cordova

OK, I get it. Buyer beware. However, how do you get a committment to giving you a guide who knows his stuff (locating game, judging racks, speaking english, staying sober, dressing game and taking care of meat/cape.

wow 5 year old dead thread that has to be a record,,

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    wow 5 year old dead thread that has to be a record,,
    Yep, that's impressive!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Did a quick duration calculation.... 3 years, 5 months, and 12 days old is this thread. That works out to 1,259 days. Not even Akres will carry on an argument for 1,259 days.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Did a quick duration calculation.... 3 years, 5 months, and 12 days old is this thread. That works out to 1,259 days. Not even Akres will carry on an argument for 1,259 days.
    LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    LOL...It is written in the Complex Internet Protocol..."The 'res knows when to say Uncle...No one should be expected to suffer the online fools and idiots indefinately"....
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~