Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Friendly/Unfriendly Stores in Anchorage

Default Gun Friendly/Unfriendly Stores in Anchorage

Hi all,

I am making a trip up to Anchorage this weekend (I live on the Kenai Peninsula) mostly for shopping, and I was wondering if some/most/all of the "big box" stores and restaurants tend to be gun friendly or unfriendly (as far as letting you carry concealed inside their stores). Does anyone have a list of stores or know about them?

I'm most likely going to REI, Lowes, and a bunch of stores in the Dimond area, but any information is appreciated. If there's already a thread about this, please just point it out to me - I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Are there other restrictions carrying concealed other than establishments that post that it is not allowed?

Thanks much!

- Chip

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I carry most everywhere, if I can keep it concealed.

Sears Mall is posted. I dunno bout the Diamond Mall.

Lowes is fine as far as I know.

REI doesn't get my business.

Look for signs, I guess.

Some stores have Banks or Credit Unions on their premises.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you can keep it concealed, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There is a Alaska forum on: http://opencarry.org that has some great info on it.

Smitty; Why would banks/credit unions in stores matter? Are most of them posted??

Thanks,

Jon

I'm guessing the law prohibits it in banks ... mainly 'cause of a radio commercial I'd heard that advertises - to criminals - that an Alaskan may be packing. It mentions in the commercial something about carrying except in banks and any place posted.

Thanks for the link and the info!

- Chip

You can not carry if you go in to a bar and consume alcohol, you can go in the bar and not drink and you are good.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mdak06 View Post
    I'm guessing the law prohibits it in banks ... mainly 'cause of a radio commercial I'd heard that advertises - to criminals - that an Alaskan may be packing. It mentions in the commercial something about carrying except in banks and any place posted.

Thanks for the link and the info!

- Chip

I had looked at the statutes and didn't see anything about banks. I did see no courtrooms/judicial branch offices, no daycare centers/schools, and no bars if your going to drink.

Anyone know if no packing in banks is the case??

Thanks,

Jon

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Obviously, I thought it was illegal to carry in a Bank or Credit Union. I'm quite sure it was when I got my CC permit. (which I haven't kept up to date.)

Maybeso, the law has changed in that regard. This is what I've found from the SOA website, but I don't know if it's COMPLETE. Notice, all that is mentioned, is "courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters"
    Smitty of the North

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HB 102, signed by the Governor on June 11, 2003 changes Alaska Statute 11.61.220 to allow anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may still obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.
    A person 21 or older may be charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon under AS 11.61.220 if s/he

fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun
    fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, or
    carries the weapon concealed within another personís residence, unless s/he has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there, whether or not the person has a concealed handgun permit.
    The effective date of this law change is September 9th, 2003.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PermitsLicensing/achp/
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You can not carry if you go in to a bar and consume alcohol, you can go in the bar and not drink and you are good.
    Misconduct Involving Weapons V:
    AS 11.61.220(a)(2)
    A person commits misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises.

Are you a person subject to Administrative Law? I'm not! If you feel that you are such a person, then you indeed have a problem. Easy test, if you are presumed guilty with out a charge in any court of less than general jurisdiction you are letting them play you with Administrative Law. The best proof of all is to remember the rules of administrative law they must be specific as to who the persons are that fall under the Admin Rules. A little hint when you come to the definitions and it says all persons, you have hit the con, that's to broad of a definition. Keep looking. It's usually found way back towards the end where they know the unwashed won't look.

Welcome to the Big Con Alaska, 98% of the blood sucking lawyers ain't going to tell you the truth about the Administrative Law crap. Administrative Law is for the state to run itself, not for a free people. Is it any wonder why Americans think there is a conspiracy against our freedom?

Remember, government that lies to it's people think of us as there enemy.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Are you a person subject to Administrative Law? I'm not! If you feel that you are such a person, then you indeed have a problem. Easy test, if you are presumed guilty with out a charge in any court of less than general jurisdiction you are letting them play you with Administrative Law. The best proof of all is to remember the rules of administrative law they must be specific as to who the persons are that fall under the Admin Rules. A little hint when you come to the definitions and it says all persons, you have hit the con, that's to broad of a definition. Keep looking. It's usually found way back towards the end where they know the unwashed won't look.

Welcome to the Big Con Alaska, 98% of the blood sucking lawyers ain't going to tell you the truth about the Administrative Law crap. Administrative Law is for the state to run itself, not for a free people. Is it any wonder why Americans think there is a conspiracy against our freedom?

Remember, government that lies to it's people think of us as there enemy.
    First of all, let me say that I am in no way giving legal advice. If you want legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Big Al, if you are referring to the Alaska Administrative Code (AAC) you are subject to the AAC as well as the Alaska Statutes just like everyone else in Alaska. That's why you have to pay your speeding tickets in this State (they're covered under the AAC). You can argue with the judge all you want, but if the State can demonstrate you broke the speed limit, you aren't going to win your case. Out of curiosity, are you a "constitutionalist?"

If you go into a bar with a loaded firearm, you can be charged with Misconduct Involving Weapons in the fifth degree. However, as Big Al alluded, the Alaska Statutes are fairly complex and full of exceptions.
    AS 11.61.220(d): In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section [that's the one I quoted a couple posts up], it is (1)an affirmative defense that
    (B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
    (C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049 and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;

Carrying in banks is a fairly complex question as well. There is nothing in the Alaska Statutes that specifically prohibits carry in financial institutions. However, I did some fairly extensive research on this question a few months ago and got some interesting results. It may be contrary to federal law for the same reason you can't carry in a US Post Office. First, many of these institutions are federal banks or credit unions. Second, just about all of them are FDIC insured. According to an interpretation by the Alaska State Troopers at headquarters in Anchorage, being FDIC insured moves them all into a "do not carry zone." I called the BATF in Anchorage, who referred me to DC, who referred me to the Seattle field office. The BATF people I talked with in Seattle had a hard time making the leap that AST HQ came up with. They didn't seem to agree with the "FDIC insured" interpretation. Of course, no warranties were expressed or implied. So, from my point of view, carrying in a bank probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

Question hm......

Hmmm...interesting.
    This would be a good thing to call around and get a concrete answer on. May have to start the telephone-a-thon to see what the answer is. I know some of the people on opencarry.org carry in banks and have no problems with LEOs, so I don't know if it is just a different interpretation or they are not FDIC insured, or what the deal is, have to find out.

Jon

Default carrying in stores

I carry most of the time and was supprised to see that the Sears mall is posted against concealed carry. Hospitals, schools, courthouses, bars, etc. are kind of no brainers in my opinion, but most of the stores will allow it unless specifically posted at the main entrance. I have made a habit of looking the storefront and doors over for any signs or warnings about "no weapons" or "no guns" allowed before I enter. If there is a sign, I will go somewhere else or put my gun in the safe in the truck, then go inside. By and large, most places either don't care if your armed or will allow it if asked.
    Adison

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Back when I got my AK CCP the instructor had a lengthy discusion on banks (this guy was a practicing Alaska Prosecutor) and claimed it was A-ok as long as it isnt posted I personaly carry into my credit union every time I go there........... I guess I figure that with all the bank robberies in Anchorage over the last few years that it is prudent to be packing. So far, I have not heard or read of any violence during these robberies, but I would hate to be standing in line with nothing but my check book when some idiot decides he will have a better chance with no witnesses. I dont have any dreams of becoming a hero or anything crazy like that............. I just dont want to get shot! In regards to shopping malls, I have always figured that sooner or later some loony is going to decide the mall is the perfect place to shoot a pile of people and make a name for himself. I pray it never happens, but I really feel uneasy at the mall, especially around the hollidays when everyone is stressed to the max and the malls are packed. Add one unstable loony with a gun and it could be a really bad deal So.......I dont go to the sears mall. The last time I was at Dimond or 5th Ave malls, neither were posted, but that could have changed recently, I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Back when I got my AK CCP the instructor had a lengthy discusion on banks (this guy was a practicing Alaska Prosecutor) and claimed it was A-ok as long as it isnt posted I personaly carry into my credit union every time I go there........... I guess I figure that with all the bank robberies in Anchorage over the last few years that it is prudent to be packing. So far, I have not heard or read of any violence during these robberies, but I would hate to be standing in line with nothing but my check book when some idiot decides he will have a better chance with no witnesses. I dont have any dreams of becoming a hero or anything crazy like that............. I just dont want to get shot! In regards to shopping malls, I have always figured that sooner or later some loony is going to decide the mall is the perfect place to shoot a pile of people and make a name for himself. I pray it never happens, but I really feel uneasy at the mall, especially around the hollidays when everyone is stressed to the max and the malls are packed. Add one unstable loony with a gun and it could be a really bad deal So.......I dont go to the sears mall. The last time I was at Dimond or 5th Ave malls, neither were posted, but that could have changed recently, I dont know.

This is my view on carrying in banks as well. They are not federal property, and I don't see how being federally insured would make it a no-carry zone. I believe all the post offices around town are posted? As the post-office itself is no longer a federal entity. This would be a interesting case if it ever went to court, "Does federal insurance make it a no-carry zone?"

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    This is my view on carrying in banks as well. They are not federal property, and I don't see how being federally insured would make it a no-carry zone. I believe all the post offices around town are posted? As the post-office itself is no longer a federal entity. This would be a interesting case if it ever went to court, "Does federal insurance make it a no-carry zone?"

Jon
    You can carry into banks as long as they are not posted with signs of legal size and location stating no carring of firearms allowed. Post Offices are a different story they are federal property and you may not carry there.
    pat
    Colt M16/AR15 & Glock Armorer.
    Certified firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
    NRA Endowment Member IDPA Expert USPSA B Class

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    First of all, let me say that I am in no way giving legal advice. If you want legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Big Al, if you are referring to the Alaska Administrative Code (AAC) you are subject to the AAC as well as the Alaska Statutes just like everyone else in Alaska. That's why you have to pay your speeding tickets in this State (they're covered under the AAC). You can argue with the judge all you want, but if the State can demonstrate you broke the speed limit, you aren't going to win your case. Out of curiosity, are you a "constitutionalist?"

If you go into a bar with a loaded firearm, you can be charged with Misconduct Involving Weapons in the fifth degree. However, as Big Al alluded, the Alaska Statutes are fairly complex and full of exceptions.
    AS 11.61.220(d): In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section [that's the one I quoted a couple posts up], it is (1)an affirmative defense that
    (B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
    (C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049 and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;

Carrying in banks is a fairly complex question as well. There is nothing in the Alaska Statutes that specifically prohibits carry in financial institutions. However, I did some fairly extensive research on this question a few months ago and got some interesting results. It may be contrary to federal law for the same reason you can't carry in a US Post Office. First, many of these institutions are federal banks or credit unions. Second, just about all of them are FDIC insured. According to an interpretation by the Alaska State Troopers at headquarters in Anchorage, being FDIC insured moves them all into a "do not carry zone." I called the BATF in Anchorage, who referred me to DC, who referred me to the Seattle field office. The BATF people I talked with in Seattle had a hard time making the leap that AST HQ came up with. They didn't seem to agree with the "FDIC insured" interpretation. Of course, no warranties were expressed or implied. So, from my point of view, carrying in a bank probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

How am I a person that is subject to administrative law? Am I a, how was it you misspelled that word? Constitutionalist? The answer is NO. I'm an American and not covered by any constitution, as I'm not government and constitutions are written for government. Are you confused about this?

I don't argue with judges. I sue judges. And anyone that interferes with my right to be free. That right to be free does not come from a constitution nor does it come from a legislature. All people that think they have protection from there illegal acts are in for a vary rude awakening when they get into a court of general jurisdiction on these matters. By the way, the state ain't going to pay to protect you either! (it leaves them open for criminal prosecution, when they do).

Law by committee, sounds to me like you have swallowed the bait! Remember that when you commit an act of fraud you loose that immunity from prosecution. There is vary little paper work you can sign your name to that flies under AS and AAS that is not fraud on it's face. The really neat thing about all of this is you will be facing federal charges in a court of federal jurisdiction.

Think I'm kidding? Don't find yourself in front of a federal judge, read "CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES LITIGATION" The law of section 1983 Vol I and II, by Sheldon H. Nahmod. These are prosecutors desk references. ( I found them to be enjoyable reading ) hope you have deep pockets for these two little items of joy.

The constitution does not apply in courts of administrative law! That is another reason not to be a, however it was you tried to spell it.

How am I a person that is subject to administrative law? Am I a, how was it you misspelled that word? Constitutionalist? The answer is NO. I'm an American and not covered by any constitution, as I'm not government and constitutions are written for government. Are you confused about this?

I don't argue with judges. I sue judges. And anyone that interferes with my right to be free. That right to be free does not come from a constitution nor does it come from a legislature. All people that think they have protection from there illegal acts are in for a vary rude awakening when they get into a court of general jurisdiction on these matters. By the way, the state ain't going to pay to protect you either! (it leaves them open for criminal prosecution, when they do).

Law by committee, sounds to me like you have swallowed the bait! Remember that when you commit an act of fraud you loose that immunity from prosecution. There is vary little paper work you can sign your name to that flies under AS and AAS that is not fraud on it's face. The really neat thing about all of this is you will be facing federal charges in a court of federal jurisdiction.

Think I'm kidding? Don't find yourself in front of a federal judge, read "CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES LITIGATION" The law of section 1983 Vol I and II, by Sheldon H. Nahmod. These are prosecutors desk references. ( I found them to be enjoyable reading ) hope you have deep pockets for these two little items of joy.

The constitution does not apply in courts of administrative law! That is another reason not to be a, however it was you tried to spell it.
    Actually, I didn't misspell "Constitutionalist." It is a word of sorts. There is even a Constitutionalist political party. http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkels/cp.html BTW, there are at least five misspelled or mis-used words in your above post. I paid you the courtesy of highlighting them for you. Petty, I know, but I thought you might like to know. I don't pretend immune to typos either.

Nobody would argue with your right to be free. However, like it or not, the AAC is part of our system. If you don't like it, sue the State. Sue the next cop who gives you a ticket and cites you under the AAC. Then sue the judge/magistrate who orders you to pay up. See where it gets you. Good luck.

Let us return for the moment to my question. How am I someone under administrative law? Please answer this question for me. I can find no judge nor prosecuting attorney that can answer it for me. They all seem to think that a mysteries contract exist between myself and the state, but are unable to show the proof of any such contract?

Yes I delight in suing anyone that tries to defraud me!

I recommend that you pick up a law school text book and read about how administrative law works and the rules that govern it's use.

Deceit is one of it's primary tools, and so stated in it's rules. Does that sound like something that you would like to be a part of?

Another question, is this the reason the government seems to be at war with Christianity? Deceit is in direct opposition to the teachings of Christ.

It is the responsibility of every American to stop corruption and lawlessness when ever he comes in contact with these abuses.

I advise anyone that has part in enforcing administrative rules to study what you are about, before you find yourself in a federal court house, learning the hard way.

If you haven't found out yet, it's only a matter of time until you run across someone that will not put up with the abuse.

Just a hint, the denial of due process, is enough to land you with hard time.

I feel sorry for any dedicated police officer that does his job, doing what he is told to do by his superiors, that commits acts of fraud, unknowingly, and gets in trouble. His problem is in the fact that once shown in a court of general jurisdiction he will be found to be in a conspiracy to commit fraud. I know that the courts treat most law enforcement people with a great deal of laxity. That ends with the proof of a felony. Fill out your paper work, when it is put on the record and the prosecutor and the magistrate/judge moves forward they have just committed about 9 different felonies. I would be happy to point out each for you in the codes that you are under. By the way, they each carry hard time.

Default Gosh, I just wondered about CC stores

Well, this thread's about run its course for me. Just as I suspect the originator wondered, I too was curious which stores didn't post objections to CC in the Anchorage area. I've no problem leaving my weapon in my vehicle when I go into a bank (not sure if this is law), school, court house, a person's residence without their permission, or bar/alcohol serving establishment. Those restrictions make sense for the safety of our society. I'm not very fond of other stores that post restrictions for CC because my paranoia leads me to believe they may be anti-gun.

My guess is someone will twist my words around some, but save yourself the time. Social tolerance or demand is what should drive our laws. That's how we advance as a society.

I know exceptions or flaws to this social approach may be found, but I unlike other social orders, I'm sure all the members of our hunting social order agree a .338 wm is the best all around hunting caliber. If society decides we need to change our laws, we will. I haven't seen any "witches" burned lately, have you? Now this aught to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I haven't seen any "witches" burned lately, have you?
    Yes... Jose Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos (Border Patrol agents prisoned for defending us against Mexican drug traffic)

Well, you asked!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast