Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chugach State Park brown bears

Default Chugach State Park brown bears

I drew this tag last spring and am really looking forward to this hunt. Being able to hunt the big brown bears this close to home is almost to good to be true. I was wondering if anyone out there might have some info on where would be a good place to look for a big bear? They say that Ship Creek Valley holds some big ones but I flew over that valley probably 3 times and hunted it 3 times in the last month and half and didn't even see a track. I've also been told that Indian Creek and Bird Creek Valley hold some big bears but i've never been in either of those places. Any info to get me started on my search would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to see my 1 tag of 3 go to waste...

Mark

Check this out. On the left side of the webpage is an interactive screen identifying satellite locations for several different bears, showing their range.

Note in the article that the 1000 lb bruiser flicked his collar off in a matter of days. According to the Army habitat folks I know, he was darted and collared within site of the Nike Site on Mt. Gordon Lyon.

Cool link, thanks for that Mark.

too bad the eagle river valley is out of the hunt area... There are way too many bears down there (hence people watch moose get killed in their driveways )
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

John that's going to be a tough one to fill. I would still think Ship Creek is your best bet. I would have thought you would have seen some sign this fall with all the gut piles. We saw one at the end of September in there. Your best bet may be trying to pry some den locations out of the bear biologist Sean Farley (ADF&G-Mentioned in the link Mark posted) and be ready when they come out in spring. Or try to locate some dens flying. Like AKPM said, Eagle River is full of them, I've seen lots up by the crossing, but I think that's out of your area. I hope you get one, you'll be famous. Or infamous, depending on your point of view.

In April try hiking up over the top of the ridge from the South Fork Eagle River (Hiland Road) trailhead. Running that ridge up the valley should give you a good view of much of the valley along with the hillsides where the dens might be. I put in for that tag as well, and if I had drawn it this was my first plan of action.

Good stuff so far guys and thanks for sharing your info. I'll be talking with F&G and doing flyovers in the early spring before the snow really starts to melt. Ship Creek Valley is still part of the plan, I was just a little surprised that I didn't see any bears the 3 times I went in there.

Default just my thoughts

I hunted ship creek area numerous times because it was close to my former home and easy access after work if light was still available. i would drive to just before the ski area and there is a pull of on the right that bends around to the right. I would hike that trail about 1/3 the way up and then I would skirt off to the right about 400yds in so that I could view the whole valley, I have seen several nice brown bears in there, but the best was just after work and I was looking for a black bear, i just got into view of the valley and below me about 800yds away there was a monster feeding on the berries, wind in my face, he was oblivious, so I pulled out the spotting scope and watched him til dark. I have seen a brown bear chase a cow moose there, and I have also seen same bear run into a wolf and push it off of its kill. All this 15 min from my car. I would think the best way to hunt that area would be to go all the way to the top, skirt on the ridge tops so that you can get back in a mile or so, set up a good spot to glass and camp site. I have also seen a brown bear following a sow in heat in that area. Of course it was all hit or miss, but the nice thing about that area was that it is a great spot just to relax. I would say that if you do get a bear, be prepared for a miserable hike out!!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Good stuff so far guys and thanks for sharing your info. I'll be talking with F&G and doing flyovers in the early spring before the snow really starts to melt. Ship Creek Valley is still part of the plan, I was just a little surprised that I didn't see any bears the 3 times I went in there.
    Were you flying over while there were salmon in ship and cambell creek (probably) that might explain a thing or two... Good luck

No, we flew over it right at the end of September, first of October.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

For some reason I was thinking that the Bird Creek / Penguin Creek Drainage was out of bounds for the hunt you are talking about? If not, I know for a fact that there is at least one good sized browny in there. I was down 11/03/07 and there were lots of fresh scat and tracks, and last year he stayed out and active well into late December as I would run into his tacks on a regular basis. Never have actually seen him however, so couldnt say about size. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    No, we flew over it right at the end of September, first of October.
    Thats peak time for silver spawning in cambell creek I'd assume a lot of area bears were down there.

Time to revive this thread. It's getting warm out now and the bears should be out and moving very soon. If anyone see's any brown bears in this area I would appreciate it if you would shoot me a pm about it. I'm thinking in another week or so I can start walking in on foot and spending a few days in the park in search of one of the big one's. I've got a packframe, tent and everything else I need to spend a few days out there if I have too.

Not your area but a brown was spotted sunday on the anchor river.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

John, I know last spring that were brownies all over bird creek trail. not sure on the boundaries but there were some pretty big tracks in the mud. Kinda wished I woulda brought a gun.

I havent been up ship creek in a number of years but stay off the trail, theres a much easier way to access the park. there a few good size brownies in there. ran into a couple of them. Drop me a line if your interested on an easy way into ship creek without doing the 5 mile or so trail to get off ft rich.

I spent a couple of hours skiing and climbing along a ridge that overlooks Ship Creek yesterday. It was HOT up there - easily into the 50s by mid-afternoon. There were a couple of point-release avalanches on the Ship Creek side of the ridge, indicating that the sun is doing a lot of warming on those hillsides. I was thinking of you while up there and scanning for open dens, but I didn't see anything. We're going back up to ski some more on Thursday, so perhaps this time I'll bring the binocs and take a closer look. We could see all the way from Ft. Rich to Indian Pass from where we were, so our vantage point was nearly unparalleled for glassing Ship Creek.

Default another outlet

Talk w/ the Ft. Rich conservation guys. They've trapped and collared bears for several years doing studies. They might have some insight.

I have not looked up the areas of your permit but up patarmagin ridge there was some impressive tracks going out and back into a blow hole at mile three of the trail last week. Also if Bird Creek is in your permit there is a ton of bears back in that valley and there is an excellent trail system. Do not know if this helps you but best information I have about bears around this area.

Well after several weeks of flying we finally managed to find 2 dens, 1 was empty and the other had 2 bears on it, probably a sow and cub but they were on a near vertical face and we couldn't get close enough to really tell. Looks like it's on fella's!! Thanks for ALL the info so far, you guys are a wealth of info!!

Bears are on the move and some am I. I am headed out tomorrow morning with my partner to fill my BB tag, will post a report when I return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast