Thread: Coyote Calling

Default Coyote Calling

Hi all,

I am new to predator hunting and am looking for advice. I just bought a new FoxPro XR-6 call and am wondering what calls to use when I first get to a calling site. Do I start with a locate or challenge or snowshoe hare or what? Follow this with what? What are the call sequences that you guys have used successfully? I'm in the Soldotna area. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Dave,

I am not the most experienced predator caller, but I guess if it was me I'd just start with a prey-in-distress call at low volume. Snowshoe hare or something. I think the key is to start at low volume and be patient.

More than likely you'll need to just try some different things and see if you can pattern what works well, but that is how I would start out. Keep it simple in the beginning. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. I am out in Sterling, so if you ever need a backup shooter, let me know

Ripper

I have done lots of calling and watched alot of diffrent responses to calls, I havent been very sucsessful here in alaska (only 1 coyote, and I missed a fox) but very sucsessful in texas where i was born and raised. The most aggresive call to use is a rabbit in distress, and get ready for fast action if they are in the area. About 90% of my kills have came from rabbit distress calls, only a few have came from anything else. The only other call I would personaly recomend is a pup in distress, (coyote,fox ect..) that will bring in female's looking for their young. Also call for 10-15 minutes on and off, if you havent seen anything by then move to another area. Predators are usually fast to see whats going on and slow to commit to the call, so call in simi-open areas to give yourself plenty of range. Hope this helps any
    texhunter

Default Thanks

I'll try your advice this weekend. We've finally got some snow down here and I can't wait!

Dave

If you've got the distressed chicken and the kitten on your Foxpro, they are my bread and butter down here in Homer.

Pick up a copy of Gerry Blair's book on Predator Calling. It helped me out tons in getting started.