Thread: Hornaby Leverevolutions

Default Hornaby Leverevolutions

Has anyone tried these new rounds in 45-70? What did you think?

Default leverlution

I think they would be good for thin skin game such as deer and caribou but I don't think it would be a good choice for moose or bear, for that stuff I prefer Garrett hammerheads or his woodleigh loads for the bigguns!!

I agree with Thunderchicken about their use up here except for bou and deer.
    I still wonder why these are "OK' in tube mags. Granted the tips are softer plastic but you still have mass and motion impacting the primers. When you have 2 shells left in the mag (most etended, weakest spring action) you would get the most motion. I am sure the guys did the R&D on it but it makes me wonder if the old rule of "NO pointed bullets in a tube" was that set in fact.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Call me ole timey if you will. I still like regular flat faced wide meplat bullets for any lever action. I think these are a gimmick. I had a good friend give me 10 rnds. of them "pointy" rubbery bullets-got a kick out of them for sure. Gave them away a couple of days back-was not even interested in firing them off. Suppose if I wanted a flat shooting bullet I would surely use a .270 for deer...but I don't shoot deer. These have got to be the goofiest bullets made by any bullet manufacturer ever!

Default Nice wide lever-action meplat

My idea of the ideal bullet for my 450 is .75" of land diameter lead rod with a cannelure rolled in for the appropriate max OAL. Stuff a full load of whatever powder fills it up with max velocity and I'm done!
    Mind you, I haven't done the development of this load yet but that is the way I'm thinking. I've got a 308 and 338 for the pointy bullet thingies.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default 45-70 bullets

ME,

I'm with ya' on this but I think you want groove diameter lead. But flat on the end to hit like a freight train. Good shootin'.

Murphy

Default wide metplat

I think garretts 540gr. hardcast hammerhead has the widest metplat in the industry, these things are real tanks as I haven't shot anything it hasn't penetrated completly through you just have to be carefull whats on the other side because these things do not stop!!!

Not to chase you to another forum but check on here; www.marlinowners.com lotsa good info just on leverguns and the ammo they use.