Thread: Delta Bison...."Once In A Lifetime."

Default Delta Bison...."Once In A Lifetime."

The following post is not whining....I swear.

I've been putting in for Delta Bison - bull or cow - since I was 38 years old. I've had no luck.... and I'm now 64. My point isn't... poor me. Rather, I think, with the large number of people who apply for those hunts, it's unjustifiable to allow anyone to put in again after having been successfully drawn once. Too many hunters are never drawn. A Delta Bison permit should be "Once In A Lifetime". There are other bison hunts that can be applied for... Farewell, Copper River.

My odds of being drawn wouldn't improve, but each permit drawn would go to someone who has never had a permit before.... not someone, with good fortune, who gets a second blessing from AkF&G.

"Once In A Lifetime" would increase, although modestly, the number of hunters who get the privilege of hunting Delta Bison. It would certainly be more equitable than the current system.

My neighbor has been putting in for 28 years ..I thought I had no chance in heck ,So I never put in and he keep telling me too so 7 years later I put in this year for the first time " AND I WON "...........

I will agree with you ..I thought of this hunt as a once in a lifetime hunt. But there were 2 people in my orinintaion that this was the 2nd time they drew a Delta tag..
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Delta Bison

.... and, those two second time "winners" were there, preventing 2 Alaskans, who have never had a permit, from having a chance to hunt Delta Bison. (Sometimes, I suspect that the "drawing" may be rigged... manual, not blind... but I'm being cynical.)

"Once In A Lifetime" would be equitable to all Alaskans. The current system is clearly not.

Thanks, Roger.

I agree with you on this and think much the same thing of the DCUA and TMA sheep draws. But thats just my two cents!

Rob

Rick ,When I was at orientation ,The biologist did mention the board was thinking of going to a point system in the near future for Bison. But you know how that goes. I think he was just upset because he keep on saying he has never been drawed yet either and he has been putting in since the first year they had the draw. Most folks put in for Delta because of the easy access.

Default Delta Bison....

Does anyone know how the "drawing" is performed? Manual, computer, blind or....?

Broncoformudv is right. Any drawing hunt that has a very small chance of a successful draw should be "Once In A Lifetime", to be equitable for all Alaskans.

For those interested in Farewell Bison,.... in March, the Iditarod Trail, very professionally put in, goes right through the Farewell area. And should make snow-go access, for the adventurous, reasonable. I've been putting in for Farewell/March, but my dismal fortune runs true.

They should also make the Bison hunt residents only ,( My opinion) As there was a guy from West Virginia that drew a tag that was in my class and he was a real idiot when it came to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    They should also make the Bison hunt residents only ,( My opinion) As there was a guy from West Virginia that drew a tag that was in my class and he was a real idiot when it came to hunting.
    Roger, this may seem to be a stupid question, but I'm here to learn, so I'll ask..............

What do you mean by class?

Thanks for being patient with a newbie!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    What do you mean by class?
    Ken - The winners of the Delta Bison permits must attend an orientation class (1-2 hrs?) prior to hunting. I believe they go over how to determine sex on bison, private/military land issues, and other specifics to the area.

Yep everything Brian said above.....Plus they tell you how to get blood and stool samples from you kill

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Does anyone know how the "drawing" is performed? Manual, computer, blind or....?
    I have been wondering the same thing, anyone out there know the answer?

Thanks guys!

Ken

Thumbs up Delta Bison.... Once In A Lifetime and Residents Only!

I agree with Roger.... Once In A Lifetime and Residents Only. Any outsider who receives a permit, means another Alaskan who won't. Past time for a change in AkF&G's Bison regulations, or do they do it this way simply to maximize its potential as a fund raiser? And how are the drawings conducted? The current system is unconscionable.

Agreed, they need to make this a resident only, once in a lifetime hunt but only if successful. As for the sheep tags, once you draw a tag you must wait 5 years before you can apply again, and thats any tag, I feel this would increase the odds for others to draw that haven't.

Another thing...IMO

1 tag per household per year. Numerous Husband/Wife & Parent/Child teams have drawn the Delta Bull tag over the years. What is a family going to do with the meat from 2 bison bulls???

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Another thing...IMO

1 tag per household per year. Numerous Husband/Wife & Parent/Child teams have drawn the Delta Bull tag over the years. What is a family going to do with the meat from 2 bison bulls???
    Give it away to friends, or let it go to waste in the freezer.

I know a young airman at Eielson on an 18 month tour, that applied right after he got here. He would be eligible by the time of the hunt, so it was legal then. He got drawn and got a Bison. I then got transfered to Elmendorf. Two years later here comes the same guy, a Staff Sargent now, on a two year tour. As soon as he was eligiable he again put in for the drawing, and darned if he did not get drawn again. He left here with two Bison, laughing all the way, swearing never to return to Alaska.

I'm on an advisory commitee and a point system is being talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Two years later here comes the same guy, a Staff Sargent now, on a two year tour. As soon as he was eligiable he again put in for the drawing, and darned if he did not get drawn again.
    Aren't all bison permits in Alaska under a 1 every 5 years system? Perhaps that's not how it used to be, but I got a Farewell Bison permit for the spring of 2002. This coming year will be the first time I will be able to apply since I did that hunt. Under the current system, this fella wouldn't have been able to win twice within such a short time.