Thread: Contender ported

Default Contender ported

For anyone who is interested, here is a picture of the barrel porting I had done on the 375JDJ barrel for my Contender G2. You can probably see that the ports are not straight drilled, but are cone or venturi shaped with the actually opening much smaller the the outer diameter. The man who did the work, Ray White at Warner guns in Warner, OK, told me he found that the cone shaped ports cushioned the felt recoil a scosh more then straight drilled ones. The ports are 10 degrees angled back. They did a nice clean job of it and the total cost including shipping both ways was $90.00. I will shoot it sometime this week and report back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glue your ear holes shut cuz that ones gonna be noisey!

Default Noisy, oh yes

You bet, so I'm going to have some ear plugs hanging around my neck out in the field, maybe Walker Game Ears.

Yeah I second the ear plugs.

I think that should tame that beast a little bit. Make sure you post how it shoots. I am interested in hearing about how some one else did with the 375JDJ. Good luck. Oh what about a pic of the whole gun????

Whit

What do you plan on shooting with it?

Default 375 Jdj

I hunted with a TC and one of JD's 12.5" 375 SSK setups for years.Curious what you use (or plan to use) for loads?

While no one would doubt that something happened when you dropped a cap on the 375, it was a *****cat recoil-wise compared to a fully loaded 45-70 TC with 500 grain bullets.

If you are going to shoot that under a covered position with other shooters near-by, you might want to warn them. I still have ringing in my ears from the clown shooting his ported .338 WIN mag under an overhang.

I only had muffs on and not plugs too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default 375JDJ responses

Nope, won't shoot that puppy under a covered range. Been on the wrong end of that one. Will probably use plugs and muffs at the range.
    I plan on mostly hunting black bear and moose, though I'd love to take a Caribou with it. I am working up some loads right now with the Hornady 220 grain flatnose Interlocks and have already made up some 270 grainers of the same brand and model. I am considering the 260 grain Nosler Accubonds but want to find out how they will perform at the velocities I will be putting out, from 2000 to 2100 fps. I'll work up an image of the whole gun and post it today. I had a real love affair with the original Contender starting about 1970. Now that I have another after a lot of years without, I feel the same enthusiasm for this unique and functional piece. Probably end up with 3 or 4 more barrels before I'm done.

I never cared for the .357 and the .30 Harret as they just about caused never damage in my hand. I did like the way they sheared off scope mounts and caused scopes to slide in the rings. They made me good money fixing those problems for customers.

I don't know why I never fell in love with the TC's, as I'm a big single shot fan. I do think they are a lot of bang for the buck.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Smile 375 Jdj

I would encourage you to stay away from the 270 Hornadys.At the MV you'll be getting, they will effectively act as solids.

The 260 Partition would likely give you better expansion.

The 225 Jensen is the ultimate hunting bullet for the JDJ.Please tell Warren I said hello!

LOST RIVER BALLISTIC TECHNOLOGIES
    PO BOX 801
    ARCO, ID 83213
    USA
    Phone: (888)807-8611
    Fax: (208)527-8613

Default Scope problems

Big Al,

Do you think it was how the scopes were mounted that caused the problem or the quality of the scope mounts themselves? I was really into the Herret cartridges, both .30 and .357 when I was into the Contenders years ago and never had a problem with my scope set-ups. I went to the 30-30 and .35 Remington instead of the Herrets because, to be honest, I was tired of forming and trimming cases and the hassle of sizing the cases to the chamber and barrel lock-up to prevent premature case separation. Here is a pic of my G2 by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The problem was in the fact that none of them were ported (except for that funky .410 barrel). Buehler was the only mount and base and rings with a stop collar on the scope turret that stood up to the people that liked to melt the heads on their cases. That worked, with the turret collar. I called old Maynard Buehler and he had the right cure right now. The world of gun people has no idea of the loss Maynard was to all of us, when he went out of business.

His scope rings were made to fit the varying dia. of scope tubes with shims. Every item he made was top shelf.

One of my regrets in life was not being able to buy him out, when he decided to pull the plug. I still use taps from him that are over thirty years old. When Maynard told you that something was good, you could take it to the bank.

Sorry about showing my age, it slips out on me to often.

Default 375 Jdj

Mauserboy:

I'd strongly encourage you to put a Pachmayr presentation grip on the rig.It will be much more comfortable to shoot.

Default More T/C

That's okay, Big Al, I got my permanent hunting/fishing/trapping license last April, so....
    I have always thought the Contender was a real phenomenon in firearms. Yes, there have been many single shot firearms, pistols and rifles, but the Contender, in my opinion, took it a step further with the ability to switch barrels with such ease. Part of this, of course, is attributable to Thompson Center's quality control and precise machining. Always amazed me that you can take a ten year old frame/barrel and put a brand new frame/barrel together with it and have it work just fine.
    I might try the Pachmayrs, but will try the wood grip first. Years ago, I bought a Super 14" .44 magnum Contender that someone had rechambered for .444 Marlin. I got it with the classic box of shells, 265 grainers, with only two cartridges fired. This gun had the original style wood grips. A couple shots at the range and the next time I fired it, it had a Pachmayr grip and forend. I stopped holding the gun by the forend with my left hand as it always torqued away from my grip, and a two hand hold on the grip felt better using some kind of rest for the barrel.

I loaded some 220 grain Hornady flatnose bullets last night with 49 grains of AA2520 and 46 grains of IMR4895 to start. Hope to fire it in the next week or so if i can overcome my rapidly building winter inertia.

Default 375 Jdj

MB:

The loads you list are relatively light, almost plinking loads.However, they will do about 1800 with the 220s.Odds are you can go up at least 6 grains on these carefully.

For full power 220 H loads, I liked 50 grains of 322.These ran 2156 over the chrono from a 12.5" barrel.

Again, and I have no financial interest in this, check out the 225 Jensens. It's true that Warren used my barrel and dies for testing...but, from a hunting perspective, this is the finest bullet ever specifically developed for the JDJ handgun.

Expensive...but you can use the Hornady 220s for practice and anything else.

The final max load with the Jensens was 50 grains, H 4895.OL was 3.04 in my barrel...you may need to adjust for yours.

This bullet was effectively copied by Nosler for the Accubond.

Default starting loads

These loads are starting loads. I am just starting to load for this cartridge and like to start light. Always been my policy with a new (to me and my guns) cartridge.
    I have always been an advocate of the Hornady Interlock bullets. They are an excellent bullet that holds together very well. I think the 220 grainers, which work very well at 375 Winchester velocities will do well for deer, black bear and caribou. I want to find a 250-270 grain bullet for moose. I am considering trying some of the Barnes Originals in 255 grains which serve well in the 38-55 also.