Thread: 6x6 rear and front cargo rack pics.....

Default 6x6 rear and front cargo rack pics.....

Made some custom racks for the 6x6 this weekend and figured I would share the designs if anyone else is interested for their own 6x6. I have seen a ton of idea's and this is what I settled for.

REAR RACK:
    Bottom frame work is 1.5"x1/8" flat bar steel, front head ache rack is 1"x1" steel, side frame is 3/4"x3/4" steel and it is sheeted with 1/2" flat expanded metal. Gun boot bolts to a piece of flat bar with nuts welded to the back side, axe mount is just 1/8"x5" bar, 2 pieces welded into a "V" and a simple "J" hook welded on for the handle. 2 "J" hooks welded to the inside of the box holds 135ft of 3/8" no rott rope. The 2 uprights on the front will hold a nice custom back rest pad custom made to match the small stock back rest on the wheeler.

Front Rack:
    Removed the plastic box and used the original mount's. 2"x2" angle with 3/4"x3/4" tubing, bent tubing to size and welded cross members in place.

We found a cool little trick to bending 3/4" thin wall steel tubing, "conduit pipe bender", worked like a charm! Here is s few pic's, still needs to be sand blasted then painted.

First is overal shot, second is left side without gun boot mounted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 11-14-2007 at 17:20. Reason: add another mention..

second is shots of front and back views.

Next shots are of front rack and gun boot mounted.

axe and rope mount.

overall shot.

Very nice. Now put that thing away and get the widetrack out. There's snow up at Trapper Creek now!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    Very nice. Now put that thing away and get the widetrack out. There's snow up at Trapper Creek now!
    LMAO, How are ya Rick? Havent seen you guys in a while, I'll be heading up to the cabin the friday after T-DAY, Be up there for 4 days, stop by if your out and about!

Two thumbs up! Did you keep the jig and how much do you charge for a set?

I do have a question and some suggestions.

What didn't you like about the front rack/storage box?

You might think about making one of the rope hooks rotate back in order to pull the whole thing off.
    If the front rack is sturdy enough I would take the plastic bumper off, move the winch up between the lights and mount it. It gets it out of the mud and frees up the airflow to the radiator.

Wish I had that kind of free time.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Two thumbs up! Did you keep the jig and how much do you charge for a set?

I do have a question and some suggestions.

What didn't you like about the front rack/storage box?

You might think about making one of the rope hooks rotate back in order to pull the whole thing off.
    If the front rack is sturdy enough I would take the plastic bumper off, move the winch up between the lights and mount it. It gets it out of the mud and frees up the airflow to the radiator.

Wish I had that kind of free time.
    Front rack/storage box: I didn't like the fact that it was plastic for one, 2 the storage was minimal for the kind of gear I haul, I will put fender bags on it that will hold more then the stock storage rack. 3, Those cheesy little "D-RINGS" they put on there, I like to strap my loads down and they just felt cheesy.

Winch and plastic bumper: That is the next mod I will due. Plastic bumper will go away and a nice aluminum bumper/winch mount will be added, I agree, the stock mounts for winches on wheelers stick way to low. I will install a #3000 warn or a #3000 Rule winch up front and the #2500 will be moved to the back.

As far as $ goes I have $135.00 in matirials and about 15hrs in labor. Most of the labor involved was beer and head scratchin' . I was lucky enough to have a friend with a nice 40x60 shop filled with a tig welder, wire feed, torch and soforth + he likes to tinker with this stuff other wise labor at a real shop would of easily been over a grand.

More mod's to come, I am trying to set this wheeler up to be totally self sufficiant, I do alot of wheeling and hunting alone so it's important to me to have everything for that "just in case". In the process of picking tires out for it now, here are my choices.

Kenda Exacutioner's
    Mud Lite XL'S
    Goodyear Mudrunners

Still reserching these tires on a 6x6. And not sure if I am going to lift it and extend the rear to allow for tires larger then stock, 25".

Question

AKSLEDOG

Wouldn't want to make one more of the rear racks? Been looking for a good one and it looks great!

Thumbs up

Nice job Curt....I passed ya on Sunday right at Trunk/Bogard. Your rack looks quite similar to mine. Now just throw a "treestand" on it!!

As far as tires go....don't rule out the SWAMP WITCH!!

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Nice job Curt....I passed ya on Sunday right at Trunk/Bogard. Your rack looks quite similar to mine. Now just throw a "treestand" on it!!

As far as tires go....don't rule out the SWAMP WITCH!!

I thought that was your truck at the intersection, I will look those tires up as well, I tried but I keep calling them "ditch witches" and nothing comes up .

P.S. What kind of meat did you use on though's pinwheels? They were a hit! And the wife scarfed the rest the nest day, left me with nadda!

Default Mounting to box Ques?

I see from the photos that the rear rack has a "lip" on it that mounts flush to the top of the box. My question is; how is the rack secured to the cargo box as it is made of plastic?
    I also have the 6x6 and like your idea, but am curious how you guys secured the rack to the box.
    Thanks,
    BK

Bkmail,

I used 1 1/4" angle iron around the top of the box for a foundation to weld to. I form fitted it up and around the front of the box and welded the sides to the front piece.

Attaching it to the box was pretty easy. I just used 4 - 3/8" bolts and bolted them through the sides where the slots in the box are, that way the nuts are recessed in the slots.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I see from the photos that the rear rack has a "lip" on it that mounts flush to the top of the box. My question is; how is the rack secured to the cargo box as it is made of plastic?
    I also have the 6x6 and like your idea, but am curious how you guys secured the rack to the box.
    Thanks,
    BK
    AkMud's Idea worked better then mine, I was going to use 2"x2" angle iron but desided to go with 1.5" flat bar and welded some tabs downward then drilled though the tab and the box, intalled 3/8" bolts and it's done,but, I would go with the angle next time, flat bar wanted to pull and heave so we had to keep manipulating it to keep it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frznrdneck View Post
    AKSLEDOG

Wouldn't want to make one more of the rear racks? Been looking for a good one and it looks great!
    If I had my own welder and stuff to do it I would make you one in a heart beat, but I don't. A buddy owed me a favor, I bought the steel and we used his shop toys. I don't think a "real" welding fabricating shop would take that long to weld one up, copy this pic and take it to them to see what them would charge? Or maybe you know someone with a welder?

I'll be building one for my father in law shortly.... Jump in and we can build two. I have built three like mine so far with the treestand and everything. I think we had about $40 in metal for the basic rack and another $40 or $50 for the treestand attachment.
    AKmud