Thread: Sag River

Default Sag River

In summer can you walk across the Sag River in the Franklin Bluffs area or is a boat needed?

Do a search through the old posts, and you'll find the information you need (including references to a hunter who died while walking across the Sag). I've never tried it, but others have and generally recommend that you use a boat.

Default Take your chance?

Like any other rivers in alaska. Some days you can, but other days you cant get back across. So, if need to decide if your willing to take that life or death chance. Thats my take.

Terry

If it rains all the runoff goes straight into the rivers so nothing soaks in the ground(permafrost). After almost making it all the way across in hip boots with wateer flowing in the tops and nearly becoming hypothermic in the 10 min or so to cross, me and partner changed our mind, didn't go. It was a good thing because it started raining and the Sag rose 3 feet in about 6 hours, we would have never got back across.

Take a canoe or little inflatable raft. If you don't need it, then no problem. But if you need it and don't have it, well then, now it's a problem.. It's like people trying to answer where the caribou are at up there every day. Good luck on that. Get prepared and just go do it.

I know a couple of people have died from trying to cross it. I do believe the last one was an Lt. from Elmendorf. If memory his buddy made it across but had troubles. So when the Lt. Tried he had his Caribou with him whole. I do believe it was gutted and the chest cavity filled with water. This caused the caribou go head down stream taking the Lt. with it. Instead of letting go. he held on and was found down river dead. Sad story.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK