Thread: pws blacktail

Default pws blacktail

anyone know how far out of whitter u gotta go by boat to get to the deer i have read that some people hunt them by putting there boat in whitter and then go to the islands just trying to see if it is worth it to investigate some more and possible put some time in to trying to get some when i get back from the sandbox(iraq)

Jason - The basic rule is the farther you go, the better the hunting gets. People take deer on Culross and Perry Islands every year, but there aren't as many deer and there are more hunters. As you get further south and east from Whittier there tend to be more deer and less competition. A word of warning, though: From hunter reports shared here, it sounds like the deer took a pretty hard hit from the deep snow last winter. Hunters are reporting seeing fewer deer than usual. It's always worth it to get out and hunt, but you may want to keep your expectations of success somewhat moderate.

The biologists my friends spoke with said the winter kill was not that bad..mostly fawns. The reports I've heard from the south side of Montague says otherwise. Not many deer coming back with them.

The only place that I heard a good report on was hinchinbrook Iland,We didnt go this year because I drew a kodiak bear tag, but Me and my buddys deer hunt every year,And from what I have heard it was a good year not to go.But let me know how you do.GOOD LUCK.

I'll let you know here in about a week how was the hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Montague Report

Went to the Southern end of Montague 3 weeks ago. We hunted two days and saw a combined total of two deer.

good luck,

Default Good Luck Gary

Hope the weather holds for you.

AH

Default knight

went to knoght Island end of October, saw one deer, brought home one deer, almost passed on hiking up to get it in the rain, but I am glad I didn't

Good luck