Thread: Deerstalker?

Default Deerstalker?

Anyone own a Lyman Deerstalker, especially in 54 cal?

I'm sold on my Lyman GPRs, but this year the deer have been spending all their time in close quarters. It's all jump shooting and fast, close shots. Much as I love the GPRs for general purpose, they're pretty slow to mount and swing in such conditions.

I had several opportunities earlier and just couldn't get off the shot. Finally got one, but jumped it out of its bed at 8-10 feet and it ran to the side rather than straight away. Dropped it at 20-25 yards, but I wouldn't have had the shot if it hadn't run into more open country.

I'm asking specifically about the 54 because I'm interested in how it balances. I want the center of gravity right between my hands for quicker handling. Caliber makes a big difference in COG in muzzleloaders, with my GPR 50 a lot more muzzleheavy than my GPR 54. I've handled a friends Deerstalker in 50 cal, and while it's close to right for my tastes, I'm hoping a 54 will shift the COG just a little further back.

The Deerstalker won't replace my GPR by any means, but I want something quicker next time those sneaky little Sitkas move back into deep cover.

Brownbear,
    I've never messed with a Deerstalker, but reading your query makes me wonder if you have thought about getting a replacement barrel in .54 for your GPR and cutting it down to say right in front of the middle ramrod pipe.That would give you about a 24" barrel and be lots cheaper than buying a whole new rifle. You would just need to cut a new dovetail for the front sight and cone the bore and you would be all set. Just something to think about.Kyle

Interesting thought, Kyle, and thanks. As I think about it the "shotgun style" butt on the Deerstalker adds bonus points over the hooked butt, which I really like for deliberate offhand work.

Another approach, which I've already got in the house, is my 54 cal Knight inline carbine, which happens to have a 24" barrel. It's very light (less than 6#) and recoil is fearsome with heavy loads, but with moderate loads it will get me through till I make up my mind about the Deerstalker. I'd rather have a peep sight on it, but that's an easy fix once I find a source. It's about time that thing started earning its keep!

yes i do have one and wouldn't mind selling it. I'm in Anchorage. Give me a call 907-360-8483 Jason Fisk

I'm currently dickering on one in 54. If that falls through, what kind of shape is yours in, what caliber is it, and what do you want for it? Others here on the board might be interested, even if my other deal comes through.

It's a shooter. it's been drilled and tapped for bases and rings. I think i still have those. 54 cal. For 150$ firm i'd let it go.Jason 907-360-8483 leave a message

Thanks jfisk375,

My deal came through, but hopefully someone else will pick it up. It's a dandy rifle and that's a good price.