Thread: Snowshoes - what are your experiences?

Default Snowshoes - what are your experiences?

For the longest time, I always wanted to snow shoe in the winter when the snow got too deep for walking. I even had thoughts of muzzleloader deer hunting this way. However, I use to live in areas where "deep" snow wasn't something you could rely on each winter. Hardly at all in recent winters actually. But now that I'm in Alaska, I think I'll get my chance to snowshoe across some deep stuff. Anywho, my wife bought me a pair of L.L. Bean snowshoes last winter and I've used them three times thus far. I don't know the model, but they are the metal / plastic variety. I'm wondering if the wooden / webbing style (not sure what they're really called) snowshoes are as noisey walking through the snow as the metal / plastic variety? Even in fresh, fluffy snow I'm finding my snowshoes are pretty noisey in that you hear a lot of crunching and compacting of snow with each step. Much too noisey, in my opinion, to do me any good for hunting someday. Is this just how snowshoes are in general? Thanks for your thoughts.

My Atlas shoes are quiet. They have an aluminum frame with the heavy raft type material for the bed. I can see how some of the metal/plastic ones could be loud. I remember the old wooden shoes used to creak a bit, but that may have been from age at the time. Nothing beats getting some exercise on a clear night shoeing by the full moon.

North Pole, Alaska

Atlas are usually the better snowshoe because there are certain shoes that allow you to pivot your foot, but I have RedFeather. I really like mine, but for noise, I personally don't think that there is much that you could do about that unless you have an iPod in your ears.
    Now... really... I personally like the noise of the snowshoe. It has that nice, crisp, fresh snow sound to it.

For hunting in the snow and snowshoeing... that's tricky.