Thread: Hunting seminar?

Thumbs up Hunting seminar?

Any of you guys going to attend the FREE hunting seminar at the Wasilla sports complex next week? I believe it is on Tuesday the 20th at 7pm. They had signs up about it at the Sportsmans Warehouse. Sounds like it might be pretty good. They are covering some predator calling as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have not heard about it. Where can I find more info in anchorage? Who is supporting it? And to teach or sell what?

After my wife's reaction post ODD BBQ I don't think I'll be doing anything solo for awhile! But we maybe in attendance.

Called and confirmed it with the sports complex folks....

11/20 from 7pm-9pm. Free hunting seminar. They didn't have a list of all the topics, but I do remember there would be a predator calling demonstration.

Maybe someone stopping by Sportsmans warehouse could take some notes from the flyer and fill in some info for us. The flyer was hanging under the fishing info board when I was there on Monday.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

*bump*

Just a reminder about the seminar tonight!
    AKmud

Default hunting

My 7year old boy and I will be at it

Thumbs down

Well.....Other than the free t-shirt and $10 gift certificate for Sportsmans Warehouse, it was kind of disappointing. The 40 minute video of a guide service moose/bear kills was interesting, but I would have enjoyed some actual predator calling information more.

Basically the presentation ended up being a forum for promoting a hunting organization, a guide service, the presenters new book about predator hunting, and a weight loss system....

Oh well, it was free....
    AKmud

Thumbs up

I thought it was pretty good stuff,i guess you can't please all the folks, ps the new hunting org. is called SFW sportsman for wildlife, i really think without going into details is what alaska needs,please get informed and sign up,be part of a group that can make a differents.....

Default Looks like a good cause

I joined on line.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Need something

I will tell you we all need to unite. In Alaska things are getting so messed up. The guides are trying to force the transporter's out of business, they are doing transporters work(and yes I could give you examples), transporting hunters without hunting with them in the field(aka Assistant guide pilot work). That is running our prices up, and limiting our options, look at how they ran alot of the boat transporters off POW. They did away with outfitters so the guides have a monopoly. Then you have the Anti's costing us money at every turn to fight stupid crap. Do you have a link to what SFW is about.

Terry

http://www.sfwsfh.org/alaska.cfm

They have been around a while. Started in Utah and have turned hunting around in that State. As with anything lots of opinions; but I don't imagine anyone can deny that SFW has changed hunting in Utah.

In Alaska there was a meeting back in April of 04 (or 05) with the founder of that organization [SFW] and it was well attended...........by anti's. The anti's theme was "we don't need another outdoor group in Alaska".

ALASKA OUTDOOR COALITION made the claim of representing all outdoor interest in Alaska. Alaska Professional Hunters, Rocky Mt. Elk, FNAW's representatives; all were against forming up an Alaska Chapter of SFW too.....at that time AOC promised to "change" and asked that SFW stay out of Alaska............those who were at that meeting and in favor of forming a Statewide Chapter of SFW at the time decided it best to give AOC a chance to come around.

AOC had their chance. In the lower 48 SFW tries sincerely to build coalitions with all the special interest associations.

I was disappointed because the flyer made it appear that it was going to be an informational seminar dealing with predator hunting. You know...tips, tricks, helpful information. Instead, the predator part was about 10 minutes and the guy blew on his call a couple of times. I have no problem with them promoting a hunting organization like the SWF, but don't advertise something else just to fill seats. The guy said he was going to field some questions from the audience and then never did!

Disappointing for me in that aspect.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I was disappointed because the flyer made it appear that it was going to be an informational seminar dealing with predator hunting. You know...tips, tricks, helpful information. Instead, the predator part was about 10 minutes and the guy blew on his call a couple of times. I have no problem with them promoting a hunting organization like the SWF, but don't advertise something else just to fill seats. The guy said he was going to field some questions from the audience and then never did!

Disappointing for me in that aspect.
    Yah........may not have been a great way to start off promoting a group.