Thread: lynx

Default lynx

was wondering if a 243 calibur might be to damaging on lynx . any help here would be appreciated . . . thank you

Have never shot a Lynx with a .243, but can say it's very destructive on the neck of a Caribou. Therefore it would not be my choice for such a valuable fur animal. If that is your only suitiable gun I would try the 75gr Barnes solid, or the Speer 70gr HP-TNT. The solid would pass through with out expanding, the TNT should explode inside with out going out the other side. Maybe someone with more experience than I will answer on this one, since I am not real experienced with a .243.

Mark

Bullet selection will be key. My wife uses a 243 on caribou (Federal Premium, 100 grain Nosler Partitions), and it turns the boilerroom into mush.

For varmints/fur bearers I'd use a lighter bullet in a frangible construction, like a Hornady V-Max or Sierra BlitzKing or Varminter bullet.

After shooting a good sized bobcat with my 30-06 and seeing the devastating damage I would pass on shooting another cat with anything over a .223. If you are just shooting one cat and are planing on having a full body mount the taxidermist can do a great repair job and just have the exit side face the wall. If you want a rug forget it.

On fox the 75 grain Barnes solid is dandy till you push it up past 2000 fps MV or so. Get much above that and it can be destructive. I'd expect similar on lynx, but that's pure guesswork.

Default lynx

thanks for all your replies . maybe i should consider something like a 204 .

i wouldn't use it......but it depends on what you would like to do with the cat....lol

The .204 would be perfect and is going to be my next rifle for furbearers. The lynx has a very thin skin and soft fur and anything over a .223 would be overkill and damage it. I use a .22WMR now and it works great,but the extra range is sometimes needed.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Food for thought.

I've shot bobcats, lynx, fox, wolves, and coyotes. Shot them with .338, .22-.250, and .22 mag. Found that as long as I use a solid jacket or solid round and punch the rib cage (not shoulder or spine) it's all good. If I shot them with soft points of some sort or hit big bone the exit hole was bad.
    The same for big game. I've shot deer with the .22-.250 soft points and had a horrible mess. Shot deer with the .338 jacketed or solid and had a nice little hole in and out.
    I feel bullet selection should play a major role in your choice. I have done very little hunting with a bow but I would guess that choosing the correct broadhead makes a world of difference.

There is a wide selction of calibers. They all kill equally. None kill deader than the other. In the hands of a good shot any of the .223's or .22-.250's, .204 or whatever will work. Put those in the hands of a novice and they can all miss.

I would look for a "good deal" and practice with it. Find the right bullet for what your going to shoot and have fun.

Hope it helps.