Thread: Pioneer Outfitters

Default Pioneer Outfitters

My hunting buddy and I are coming to Alaska next fall on a moose/griz combo hunt. We're from North Carolina and this will be our first hunting trip to Alaska. A well known hunting consultant gave us the name of Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters as a good choice. He operates a horse back hunt out of Chisana. I know he and his family have been in business for years. Any feedback out there about his operation? PM me if you like. Thanks.

Default Pioneer Outfitters

Terry has been in business for a long time. He hunts in one of the most beautiful places in Alaska and the horse back hunt is a bonus. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The man in black is kind of legendary.........he has been out there at Chisana and science @1970.......you wont find anybody with more experience in the area than him. Lots of history there and with his family even before he got old enough to go out on his own.

Should work out good. Get in shape the man can go.

Default Realtree....

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose View Post
    My hunting buddy and I are coming to Alaska next fall on a moose/griz combo hunt. We're from North Carolina and this will be our first hunting trip to Alaska. A well known hunting consultant gave us the name of Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters as a good choice. He operates a horse back hunt out of Chisana. I know he and his family have been in business for years. Any feedback out there about his operation? PM me if you like. Thanks.
    ....Roadtrips filmed a show with them on Season 3 of Realtree Roadtrips. I know it's just a hunting show, but they did a 2 part horse back moose hunt that may give you some good insight as to the operation. Both episodes are on the Season 3 best of DVD.

Seems like several of the "pro hunters" have made the trek with Pioneer Outfitters. I know he has a good track record on sheep and moose. What about bear prospects in the area? Also, we'll probably be working with 40 Mile Air. Been hearing good comments about their operation too. Let's hear about them too. Thanks for the feedback.

Snowgoose;

hunted with Terry back in 2003, sheep/moose combo; Terry's a good guy in my book, spectacularly-beautiful area, horses are good (although I got thrown twice, prob'ly more my fault than the horses!), overall outfit is good. Seems like a good moose area, we had 4 guys get moose that week as combo'd with sheep. They've taken a lot of interior grizz in that area, I'd bet you're going to have a great hunt... Practice your horsing skills, and be patient on your first day at Terry's base camp, it can take a little time to get organized and get out of base to your spike camp (like 1 full day)

good luck to you,
    Craig Nolan

Craig, tell me some more about your hunt with Overly. You can PM me if you like. Thanks.

Default GatewayGuiding.com

I have had a great experience with Mike Vanning of Gateway Guiding, you might also talk with him. gatewayguiding.com