Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Sheep in Alaska

Default Stone Sheep in Alaska

Believe me or not, But I took this picture in Alaska and i was at least 100 miles or more from the border, I saw 7 of them in a group and watched them for a while, there was also a lone Caribou hanging around with them....Needless to say when i saw this guy on the road my chin hit my lap....lol....I talked with a trooper and he said he know's all about them....Just woundering if this was Alaska'a new well kept secrete....lol....and if so i hope i didn't spoil it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a nice looking Stone Sheep. I could see them right at or close to the border but that far from it is amazing.

So if one saw a stone sheep in Alaska during hunting season that met the full curl requirements, could they harvest it? I know that the regs state that if a species is listed, you may not hunt it. That being said, the regs simply refer to "sheep", not "dall sheep". Am I missing something here, or would it be OK to shoot a stone sheep on the off chance that I ever saw one?

Default i know

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Thats a nice looking Stone Sheep. I could see them right at or close to the border but that far from it is amazing.
    It is amazing, If i wasn't there and saw this picture and post on here from some one else. I would have thought they were nuts.....lol

Question I've wondered the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    So if one saw a stone sheep in Alaska during hunting season that met the full curl requirements, could they harvest it? I know that the regs state that if a species is listed, you may not hunt it. That being said, the regs simply refer to "sheep", not "dall sheep". Am I missing something here, or would it be OK to shoot a stone sheep on the off chance that I ever saw one?
    They say the same thing about deer and I've seen a couple of mule deer in Alaska. Are they legal too?? Since the regs are not specific, would a person get into trouble for taking one since it is a legal "sheep" or a "deer"???

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What does the tag say on it? I believe it says dall sheep so I would think that you would not be able to shoot a stone sheep if you came upon one. I threw my sheep tag away so i'm am not sure about that but I do know that the non-resident tag says "dall sheep" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    What does the tag say on it?
    I'm pretty sure that the harvest tickets and regulations both just say "sheep". I'll check when I get home, though.

Sweet! And the rut is just starting. Looks like more fannins for Alaska!

I believe the regulations say that Sheep means Dall Sheep
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Correct

On the top of the page in the regulations where it says (page 16 last year)

Big game hunting restrictions: Big game includes.... Dall Sheep..... and Sitka black-tailed deer.

So nope.... they way it reads, you can not hunt them in Alaska.

They say the same thing about deer and I've seen a couple of mule deer in Alaska. Are they legal too?? Since the regs are not specific, would a person get into trouble for taking one since it is a legal "sheep" or a "deer"???
    So, yes it does specify which deer. Sitka!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-13-2007 at 19:12. Reason: More info

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default sheep

With the white muzzle and white butt, it kinda looks like a Bighorn to me. But then, I don't know much about Stone sheep. But the gray face, Does anyone know of a good link that identifies the two? (Stone vs Bighorn)

Whats up with the clean passenger seat? It should at least have cheeto stains on it (:

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Dover View Post
    With the white muzzle and white butt, it kinda looks like a Bighorn to me. But then, I don't know much about Stone sheep. But the gray face, Does anyone know of a good link that identifies the two? (Stone vs Bighorn)

Whats up with the clean passenger seat? It should at least have cheeto stains on it (:
    Boy it almost looks convicing toward the bighorn. I would say the give-away would be the white speckled head and neck. Really neat white stripes down the back legs too!!

I definately wouldn't shoot one with anything but my kodak! Wow would be amazing to see a huntable population of stone sheep in alaska. I would be very interested to see them take hold NATURALY! Some mild winters sure would help!

well if thats the case

Then by default you couldnt shoot a fannin either! There is nothign listed about them what so ever.

Default Have to agree

Have to agree Dan. Fannin would not be legal either.

The sheep in question is defnitley a stone sheep, i've seen many of them while driving through the Yukon near Kluane Lake.

Default Fannin

Are Fannin sheep an actual species? I didnt think they were listed that way, I thought it was more of a color phase due to cross breeding.

Default Interesting

I was reading about Fannin last night. It seems that some people believe them to be a hybrid.

Others consider them a different species. The "others" base their belief on the fact that there are groups of fannin, located in areas where the Dall and Stone do not co-exist and henceforth can not reproduce to produce fannin. And, since there are large groups of fannin, not fannin just mixed in with the other two species, to be a separate group.

Interesting topic.

I told you all they were here in Alaska, I'm not the only one with pics, thats great! I'd like to see the population flourish, maybe some day they might open it up to a draw season or something, but they are a pretty sight to see. You never know what lurks in the Great State....CK

Default stone sheep

here is a link to info on the fannin sheep ond others....its a good link

http://www.wildsheep.org/sheep/north_american.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast