Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow cert online

Default Bow cert online

It looks like now you can take the class room portion of the Bow cert online. I stopped by and talked to Maggie last week and she told me this. Where do you find the Bow cert on line. I did not ask that question but will find out here soon.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bow Hunter Education Course

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

almost makes the bow education class not worth doing anymore. The hole ideal is lost!

I'm sorry, as an instructor I dont agree with it, as a bowhunter I don't agree with it. Here's out one chance to make a difference and we've bent over to the lazy mans mentality!

Default Alaska?

Since Alaska isn't listed, will this apply here? I don't agree fully with this concept, but do think it has a purpose. If it was a prequersor to the actual class it would be great......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

It's a test now. If it doesn't work then we will drop it and continue with the classroom
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Mixed feelings

I think that the course is a great idea for all bow hunters for certain reasons. New people to Alaska, new to bow hunting, it is certainly a worthwhile course just for the information that intructors can provide. I could of passed the shooting test without the course but I shoot a lot. Even tonight after work I shot in the woodshop.

Now for the rural communities where the instructors are not available. There has to be something better. We have sent instructors to rural places before, but sometimes the cost is prohibitive. Here is where the program is missing people and potential new archers.

I think the classroom part even got people shooting because they knew there was going to be a field portion. Now I would worry that when the field portion is offered, people will not be ready.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default wheres alaska

since alaska isn't listed on that website....can you just pick any state and take their course then do the field course up here and that works or what....
    personally i think that something like this you should have to go to a classroom environment with an instructor
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

My two cent is this. You take away from Instructor/student contact. Allot of times a good question comes up that the whole class can talk about.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    My two cent is this. You take away from Instructor/student contact. Allot of times a good question comes up that the whole class can talk about.
    x2! Besides, if I had to sit through it, everyone else should also!! Seriously though, I thought the class was pretty good. You can ALWAYS learn something even if you think you know everything about it.

I agree, even instructors from time to time will learn something. I even learned a few things on the shooting range this summer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I agree the person to person contact in the class is needed! If it's not appropriate there could be something set up for rural areas, a unique situation for Alaskans that no other state has really.

Take that away and you've gone to the typical hamster and wheel driven society mentality! I'll be voicing my opinion here.

No ALaska does not require you to take the shooting portion if you've taken the IBEP cert in another state. The requirement is IBEP/NBEF or it's equivilant (state sponsered is the usual reply here). In which it does NOT have to have a proficiency testing portion. This part is Ak Specific and not needed if you have your card in say Tx.

This course has the potential to be a good thing...unfortunatly it's being run down the drain. Instructors being caught with blatent game violations, or they just dont care about nothing but there own agenda's, or just plum ignorant. That is the bulk of the reason's I teach no more!

You have my opinion, I'll voice it to Bob H when I get some time and our interior rep who just happens to be a good friend of mine Jerry C.

Personally, I like the idea of doing the web-based testing because it could be self paced and self studied. <---this is only because I used to work from home with an online based company and we software engineered all of our test(ings)
    I think that it should be required to still come in and sit with an instructor to do the actual physical certification.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Instructors being caught with blatent game violations, or they just dont care about nothing but there own agenda's, or just plum ignorant.
    When talking about sub-standard instructors, my wife and I took the basic hunter-ed class and the teacher had been shot 3 times!! Twice by a .22 and once by a 12 guage (his grandpa accidentally peppered the back of his head when pheasant hunting or something like that). On the other hand, I guess maybe after being shot you would be more prone to be safe...

sorry I shouldnt make those stabbing remarks on all instructors. THat is definatly the minority. But it seems atleast at my time those minorities where part of the teaching program. And one is a new comer to the scene. Just irks me wrong!

Sorry Co,

You can gain nothing by doing this at home. A newcomer to the sport knows some from somewhere, but usually enough to think they are walking right. Getting in a classroom session for usually one evening, possibly two will give a chance to meet your peers, learn from eachother as was said, and get a chance to met up with people shooting vastly different equipment then the rest of the gang.

This is OUR chance to set a standard for ourselves, a somewhat formal for no other way off putting it of policing ourselves and letting the newcommers know what's expected. Sitting behind a computer for the next hour or two wont get you any farther then you likely already where and it does nothing to help anyone else out.

We're not asking for miracle workers, we're not asking you to be anything more then what you can be and do it well, only you can do this.

This is not a home school type of education I want to see happen! And I'll do everything in my power to help keep it from becoming that if I'm not already to late.

ps, this is not a doctorate class you are taking, this is a very very basic hunter education program that is geared towards bowhunting, ethics and responsibilities. 8 hours one day or two 4 hour days. In which these days the class room is regularly taught in half the time it used to be. 14 yr olds can and do pass this on a regular basis. I think we had a couple of students younger but don't quote me there. Either way, I can only remember 1 maybe 2 kids failing and zero adults failing the written portion.

This is a bit off topic but computer based training has been the bane of the Air Force training system ever since it became the standard. I see numerous technical violations that I never saw before we got away from classroom teaching. Even self aid and buddy care (first aid) is in the form of computer based training now.

I think that having archery certification as an online class is a mistake. I can, however, understand that some area's are remote and there needs to be an alternative. I just don't believe people learn much. There are a lot of intangibles involved with face to face student -- teacher interaction. A teacher can more easily see if the student gets it seeing their face.

another off topic one...

WHere in Mn you from? I'm from the forest lake area.

Smile

I rather enjoyed the class. True, some of the war stories drug out a bit, but.... I met some new faces that I will see around, learned of a couple new hunting areas and learned some new hunting and safety techniqes.

On top of all that I went on the shooting course and decided I didn't need a wheely bow after all.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    another off topic one...

WHere in Mn you from? I'm from the forest lake area.
    Cambridge-Isanti until I was 12. Then moved to Packerland.

Default computer teachers

Sometimes it's tough to ask computers questions that arise during a lecture... Will there be some kind of interactive contact e-mail address to handle such issues?

I see the world turning more and more "virtual" and I don't like it, but I guess we've got to get used to it. It sure is handy to peruse the forum, download maps, apply for hunting permits, shop on the internet, communicate via e-mail etc.

If it gets more people certified easier, and it's still pumping out good ethical bowhunters, then I'm all for it.

Default mixed feelings

I am glad a course is being offered online. I don't think it can measure up to the actual hands on classroom course, but there is a need for it. It really bothers me that Alaska has put in place regulations requiring hunter ed- at last count 5 different courses to be able to hunt most areas, but doesn't have paid hunter ed instructors, and often does not offer enough classes to meet the demand. For hunters born after '85, basic hunter ed, then to use a shotgun in weapons restricted hunts, shotgun class, the bear baiting class, primitive weapons/muzzleloader class, and bow class. They all have some redundancy, and to me the worst two are the bowhunt/bearbait and shotgun/muzzleloader class- very redundant. Almost all the bear baiting information was included in the archery class, and if you know how to safely and proficiently hunt with a muzzleloader, you should be able to operate a shotgun safely! Shotgun safety could very easily be added to the basic hunter ed course as well, and negate the necessity for a separate certification. All this is fine and good- but when hunting season approaches a lot of the volunteer instructors, who also hunt, are actually hunting!

I'm planning to keep an open mind toward the online class, and look forward to seeing results. A lot of the hands on stuff is and will continue to be addressed in the proficiency test- I believe that is still a requirement of the IBEP card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast