Thread: Repowering Boat - Volvo 280 Duo-Prop

Default Repowering Boat - Volvo 280 Duo-Prop

Just a question, I am getting ready to repower my boat which is a Bayliner 2860 Trophy (28'x10'). The boat HAD in it a Volvo 260A (V-8 Carburated) 260 HP with the Volvo 280 duo-prop outdrive.

The question is, I am either going to repower with a 5.7 Liter fuel injection 320 hp or I plan on going with a 6.0 Liter fuel injection 375 hp, will my existing Volvo 280 duo-prop handle either motor application? If so is there anything that needs to be done to the existing outdrive to handle the additional HP?

I am really trying to repower without replacing my outdrive. It is currently is excellent condition.

Thanks in advance. Any advise will be appreciated.

Have you considered replacing it with the 8.1 375 HP? From talking with other boat owners I get fuel economy as good and often better than owners of the smaller block motors.
    I would think your larger boat would benefit even more by going to the larger motor.
    Sorry, I can not help with your outdrive question but maybe these folks can:
    http://thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp
    Tennessee

Default Repowering

Thanks for the information. I was directed to to 6.0 Liter after talking to some fisherman out of Cordova that use the 6.0 L in their bowpickers and are experiencing close to the same fuel economy as the folks using desiels.

One person told me that the 280 duo-prop will handle the additional HP and another told me it would not. I tried emailing volvo and have not had a response. I will post it and see what happens.

Thanks again.

The 280 is used behind the 8.1 nad will do fine. If in Anchorage give Odie's Marine a call. He swears by those Volvo setups.

Default Go bigger!

To your original question about the outdrive; I do not know the answer, sorry.

I do know about better fuel economy by going with bigger engine. If it will work with outdrive, since you want to keep it, go as big as you can. Snowolfe is correct. Here is an example: 28 foot Uniflite repower. Boat had 350's and went to 454's. Boat gained 6 knots and burned 1/3 less fuel.

The reason for better fuel economy is because the engine is not working as hard, you are able to cruise it easy to gain the extra speed. I have repowered a few boats. The Uniflite was the smallest and closest to your project. Each repower was done with bigger motors, diesel, and we acheived better milage each time.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your original question. I would like to add that I really question the bowpickers saying there gas gets about the same as diesel. I have never witnessed this in 20 years of commercial boating. Diesel will always get better. Rule of thumb, Go bigger and run it easier will always out do going smaller and running harder.
    Hope this helps some. Repowering is always a major undertaking.

Default Repowering w/Bigger

Thanks for the advise. I did find out the the 280 Volvo duo-prop will handle more HP. I might have to change my props but that is a whole lot cheaper than a new out-drive. I will also do some research on this 6.0 Liter 375 HP motor as well. I do not plan to do the work until around February or March.

Thanks again.