Thread: King Trip

Default King Trip

I did Lake Creek two years ago and the Tal last year... both in August for silvers, now a buddy wants to take our boys out and do a King trip this coming June. Any suggestions for the best King (with some clear-water rainbow options too) float to do? I kind of don't want to repeat rivers, are there any great trips I'm not seeing? My hopes are:
    1. Kings on the fly
    2. Rainbow and dollies available (even if it takes some hiking)
    3. Within an hour's flight from the bowl
    4. Not too "iffy" as far as the put in and takeout.... using buddies for the most part.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default deshka

The deshka gets alot of kings and a few rainbows though not nearly as many rainbows as the tal or lake creek. it would be very inexpensive.The biggest down side is all the powerboat traffic. There is also several rivers on the other side of Cook Inlet that might fit your criteria.

Gulkana River might be an option for you. It has everything on your list except the fly-in part. You can easily drive to and from. But that creates its biggest problem; it's too easy to do, so too many people do it.

You can fly into the upper Talkeetna, but last I checked the tributaries on the upper section were all closed to Kings. That's too bad as it has lots of them. You can fish the lower section though, and there should be plenty of Kings in Iron Creek and some other lower tributaries. The float between the upper and lower sections is a class IV wild ride. Lots of fun if you're into that sort of thing. The put in is either via supercub at Bucks, 180/206 at Yellowjacket, or float plane to Murder Lake. Take out is in beautiful down town Talkeetna. More info at http://paddling.jimstrutz.com

I agree with doing the deshka,we did it last year,( the middle) from neil lake down and got p/u before the weir,low water kept the jetboats out and we only saw a couple airboats,Slayed the rainbows on top and then limited out on kings (8) for 2 guys It was a great trip.We saw nobody from neil lake down to where you can start fishing for kings.

Default Moose or Kroto Creek an Option?

Anyone floated Moose or Kroto Creek into the Deshka in June? I have a 14' Otter, would I be too loaded down to make these a reasonable float? The books I've looked at say that these creeks are good for canoes, kayaks or small rafts. What's the definition of a small raft?

I did Kroto 40+ years ago, in mid July I think it was. I was a young teen at the time and pop was doing the planning. It was a disaster. Very low water and lots of rocks beat our cheap rubber boat to death. Out plan was to float it all the way to tidewater, and use our 5 hp motor to catch the tide for the ride home to the small boat harbor at Ship Creek. We floated for three days and gave up. The floor was ripped out, and we had been soaking our feet for the last two and a half days. We walked out on a survey line/road about 20 miles back to Petersville Road, hitched a ride to the highway from the only vehicle we had seen for hours, and called for a ride home from the gas station at Trapper Creek.

Two weeks later we went back with a Weasel to fetch our gear. It had rained for the previous few days, and Kroto/Deshka was at near flood stage. If only we had caught the intervening time between flood and drought. Mid June would be the best option though, still some snow melt in the creek, and better weather.

I am planning on doing this again. If not this year, then next. But I hear Moose Creek is the better float to access Deshka, with more water and better float conditions.

I still think the Big Su-to-tidewater-to-Ship Creek is the best option for trip termination. I've done this once before from Alexander Creek, and it's quite easy to do. You just have to take your time and wait for good weather to cross the Inlet on an incoming tide.

If you go, by all means report back on what you encountered. I know I'm interested.

Kroto is real tough to float,i have a cabin on it and most years in june its a raft dragging fest,moose creek is a easy and great float to access deshka....

Instead of braving the Inlet crossing could you arrange for boat transport to Deshka landing? Are there any local transporters you could arrange a pick up with?

Arranging for a pick up by river boat to Deshka Landing should be easy to do. I'm sure there are any number of fishermen on the Alaska Power Boat section of this forum who would do it for some extra money. They're going to be out there anyway. Some of the charter fishing operators would do it too. Three Rivers Charters comes to mind, and there are others working out of the Willow area.

Still, crossing the inlet in a rubber boat has got to be worth a few grins, don't ya think?