Thread: Barnes or Berger?

Default Barnes or Berger?

I'm handloading for my new .243. I was going to shoot Berger 105grn VLD's, but I dont have enough twist to stabilize them. My next choice is to step down a size to the 95grn. I cant find any, so I would have to order online, and pay shipping...
    I am a big fan of Barnes and shoot a 210grn out of my .338. Should I just go with the 85grn TSX for the .243? It seems a little small for what I want, but...it is a TSX. I would definitely pick up the speed, and it would have weight retention, so I am torn between 85grns, or 95grns, which is a pretty good weight difference in a 6mm.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Northern

Did you shoot the VLDs to determine that you don't have enough twist, or just read it somewhere? Lots of keyboard BULListics on the web these days. In my Ruger #1 243, the Speer 105 grain flat base is without a doubt the most accurate bullet around, followed very closely by the Nosler 95's and 100's. My Rem 700 loves the Noslers, too.

I'm leery of the Barnes from the 243 as range stretches. It's hard to get even the Noslers to expand reliably much past 300 yards, but the Speer really shines out there.

Overall, the Noslers would be my first pick, even when Berger and Barnes were just as accurate.

Yeah, I shot it yesterday. 5 shots at 100yrds... all 5 went in sideways. 95 grns would be my next size down. I did shoot factory Federals, 100grn soft points, just to get on paper before testing the new Bergers, and it shot really well. so the the 95s or 100s shouldnt be a problem.
    Now dont get me wrong, i read it...on Berger's website, not some "I know it all" post, and I know exactly what your talking about! I get really tired of the internet experts.
    You know, I didnt even consider the Noslers. I'll take a look at Sportsmans today. I wouldnt mind shooting their accubonds, I just aint a fan of balistic tips. Its just one more thing for me to break in the field...and if it can be broken, i can do it.

Haven't used the accubonds, but been considering them myself. I'm sure fond of the partitions on game until the range passes 300. I suspect the accubonds are just enough "softer" so they'll open at long range like the Speer, but potentially retain more weight. No problems with weight retention on the Speer, mind you, but curiosity keeps me shooting. I'm guessin that if the VLDs were keyholing, your twist is 1:12, while the VLD is very long. I wouldn't overlook bulk bullets from Remingtonfor general purpos shooting at a much reduced price. As a matter of fact, they're also pretty dandy on game. I shoot lots of them for practice, but don't hesitate to use them on game if I don't have anything else loaded or the gun is already sighted for them

Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    I'm handloading for my new .243. I was going to shoot Berger 105grn VLD's, but I dont have enough twist to stabilize them. My next choice is to step down a size to the 95grn. I cant find any, so I would have to order online, and pay shipping...
    I am a big fan of Barnes and shoot a 210grn out of my .338. Should I just go with the 85grn TSX for the .243? It seems a little small for what I want, but...it is a TSX. I would definitely pick up the speed, and it would have weight retention, so I am torn between 85grns, or 95grns, which is a pretty good weight difference in a 6mm.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Northern

IMO if you can get the 85 TSX's to shoot that would be a great combo out of a 243.

Why not find out what twist your barrel is before you make up your mind about the bullet you want to use. Use the Greenhill formula, it will save a lot of time and trouble.

http://www.z-hat.com/twistrate.htm

Remember it length not weight, or maybe you've heard yourself say these same words before?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al, I knew what my barrel was, and to be totally honest, i grabbed the 105's by mistake. I did my homework and decided on the 95grn Bergers, but when i got to sportsmans, i forgot whether it was 95 or 105s, and all they had was the 105's. Since i had them, and really like them, i wanted to load them up and shoot. I knew going into it that i may, or may not be able to shoot them. All data recommended 1:8 twist, and I have 1:9, with a short barrel (22"). I had to give them a whirl. I can shoot the 100grns great, so what was another 5? (too much.)
    Anyways, I picked up 100grn Speers and loaded up 20 tonight. I'll try them out to see... I wish Barnes would make a 95grn! but oh well.

I'd load up some 85-grain Barnes TSX bullets in that 243 of yours. I'll be testing them on deer in less than two weeks.

Matt, let me know how those TSX work. I am considering them for bou and deer, but really would like something heavier.