Thread: boats

Default boats

First post here so here we go. My wife and I have lived in Texas our whole life. I am at the ending of a career and we want to bust on out of here. Texas is a great place but it is getting overun quickly. I do believe Anchorage is where we are headed. Now my question is about boats. I have 2 and I know my fishing boat will have to be sold. It won't work for Alaska. It is made for the Texas coastal fishing, flat and no sides. It is for fishing the flats in the bay. It runs real shallow, 4" on hard bottom. I have a gator trax boat with a Go-Devil surface drive motor for duck hunting. Do yall use those type of boats or do yall require different boats. I am so Alaska ignorant I don't know what is needed there fow ducks. I have hunted ducks here on the coast for my entire life but never there. Anyhow I am just gearing up the thought process on what to sell and what to bring. 40 years of Texas I have aquired a lot. This will be a @#tch of a move. How about my labs, will they handle the cold? What about them and the bears? All we have to worry about here is gators and rattlesnakes getting them. Check out my websight, I do desnaking clinics here in Texas. I look forward to talking to you fellas.

Default boat

your go devil and gatar trex boat will work up here on the rivers Big-Su,Deska and Yetna, Talketna. I have a 16 foot lund with a 32 pro-drive and have used my boat on the rivers above. If you have any more question feel free to pm me. I also use it duck hunting Chris

Default Boats

What is your other boat? I agree, you will be able to use the 16' boat up here. I am in Big Lake - just outside Wasilla. What will you do when you get to Anchorage? I just moved up here with my family from Oklahoma in August. You can send me a PM if you want to know what I would bring. I sold practically everything I had to make the move easier.

I have been a cop in Texas or 18 years. I am checking today to see if the retirments in Texas and Alaska are compatible. If they are, color me gone, Anchorage PD here I come. If not I have to wait 3 years. My wife and I are done here and want to bust. I work in a city bordered by the city of Houston. The Houston metroplex has 8.5 million poeple. In the next 10 to 15 years that will double. What a cluster.

So far as the other boat it is a Dargel. It is 16' center console. It is like a surf board with a motor on the back. It would work there but I would probably be better off buying an aluminum Lund with the enclosure. If I get to come up there I am going to hunt and fish a whole bunch. All the pictures I see have those kinds of boats. I figured the enclosure could probably come in handy at times there.

I didn't know they had the mud motors up there. I am glad to hear it because I finally got what I consider the perfect duck hunting boat. I really don't want to get rid of it. The Go-Devil will push that 20' Gator Trax in the mid 20 mph range with 2 people and gear. Anymore weight than that is begins to suffer.

I have read and dreamed about Alaska my whole life. Kind of scary thinking it can really happen soon. It is also a big charge thinking it can happen. I will definately PM you fellas and bug the crap out of you with all my questions. My wife and I are going to fly up for a week and just check things out. I would sure like to hook up with somebody that knows the terrain and can point on a map saying go here and go there.

Default cops

wal1809
    So are you applying for APD they are doing a strong lateral hire right now. I work for Wasilla PD which is 40 minute north of Anchorage. Your duck boat will be fine I hunt ducks with my boat and fish the rivers. I also have a river boat so when I take the family I have no problems.

Keep in mind that the Anchorage area is getting overrun as well. We have two roads heading out of town and half of the state's population lives within a 75 mile radius from Los Anchorage. So don't be surprised when you are standing in a line in the "wilderness". This applies mostly to fishing on road accessible rivers, and moose hunting any where near a road. We waterfowlers don't get stepped on too much, but it does happen once in a while, like the weekend after moose season closes.

Your duck boat will be fine and there is on godevil dealer in the state up in Fairbanks. Depending on your moving allowance, pick up one (or more) marsh boats such as a MoMarsh DP Fatboy, Marsh Rat, 4Rivers, Carstons puddler, the list goes on and on.... Also get a small mud motor for it.

These little boats help you get to the real good spots making your big boat just a ferry for it and some gear. Once you are here you can't afford the shipping, so get it now and have someone else pay the shipping. This one piece of advice is priceless so you will owe me later.

Not much goose hunting here in Cook Inlet, so if you have a bunch of that gear you may want to slim it down to a small spread for the once a fall attempt at goose hunting out on the flats during the migration.

Not much diver hunting so your redhead decoys should be used to fund the purchase of something else. A few bluebills are around but not targeted directly by anyone. It could be done with a layout boat in a couple of the lakes up the Knik, but nobody has done it that I have seen.

No blue winged teal either, but one gets lost up near Fairbanks every couple of years. Lots of green winged teal and a few pintails. Lots of wigeon.

Your labs will spend a year getting use to the cold, and then you will spend the rest of your life wondering where all the shed hair came from. Their undercoats will come in and start making felt on everything. Get them camo coats and they will be fine. We don't hunt much past early November due to hard water.

No snakes. Bears are not an issue until you upset one, but that will come with a obvious warning sound much different than a snake's.

Right now housing in Anchorage is starting to come down from its price bubble, but it is still sky high compared to some places in the states. There are no deals right now and the lower priced houses are all site condos (townhouse style) with no parking for your boat. There are some older oil boom split entry homes that are not moving. I think of all things housing will be the real deal breaker for moving up here righ now.

As for being a cop in Los Anchorage, all I can say is you will be facing the same problem here as you are facing there, but with snow and 4 hours of daylight. For fun you can read the State Trooper News Releases here: AK trooper POI

You will learn that DV while drinking is our state past time. Or is DWI/DUI our state past time?

skybust can fill you in on all the real cop stuff. He likes methheads a lot.

Y'all easily adjust. We just moved to Anchorage in August after 2 years in the Hill Country north of San Antonio and the rest of the time before in Northern California. I think the boat will definitely help. I prefer to paddle my kayak away from everybody else but worked so much after getting here that my scouting/hunting time suffered and I never did get in the boat. All my hunting was from either driving north or south of Anchorage and walking in. My birds per trip suffered as a result.

The dog loves it here. It doesn't matter to a lab whether it is cold water in Alaska in October or the 60 F+ waters of the Gulf of Mexico in January. Either way she's happy, especially in the snow running along while we ski. However, she's back in a vest for most of the duck season here. I don't miss the razor sharp oyster beds of the Gulf, salt water rusting everything in sight, or the occasional rattlesnake on the porch. But, I do miss the huge flights of redheads and sprig landing in the decoys after you're limited on those species. Especially when the dog gives you the look......."What - are you blind or something? Those are ducks swimming around there!" I'll always miss the huge flights of thousands of ducks and geese over the rice in California and the sqealling woodies on flood days in the Sacramento River Bypass. But, the experience here is unlike any other and the scenery on the drive home after a slow morning is worth a $million.

See ya in the marsh

December Duck Hunting Gulf Coast Style

You fellas are alright. Lots of good information. I got the crud news from TMRS. That is my retirment system. It is not compatible with Anchorage's retirment. I am stuck like a rat in a cage sinking in the water. I have got to stay for 3.5 years and then I can apply at Anchorage. You could have poked me in my eye with a sharp stick and hurt me less than that news right there. We have been talking about Alaska for years and I told my wife to stop talking about it until she was absolutely ready. A month later she came back and said lets go. Dannnnng. 3.5 years fellas and I am enroute. I would also like to maybe get one of you who have moved from here on the telephone if possible. I have a lot of stuff and have no idea how to get it there.

A 40 ft shipping container dropped off at your house in Texas and then delivered to Anchorage will cost you roughly $11,000. Cars will be $2500 to $3000 each. We rented a 26ft U-haul and 2 car trailers (one behind the U-haul and one behind my truck) for about $5ooo. Gas cost us about $4500 for both tow vehicles. The long move makes you really decide what goes and what gets sold and replaced later. If the APD is still in dire need of officers maybe they'll pick up the relocation cost? Contact Ashley Relocation Services -sorry I'm out of town and don't have the number- for a quote

Default love the photos

Man those are great photos of the birds, dog, and kids. Looks like everybody is having fun.
    I was a mover for over 20 years. Birdstrike gave some good advice, but let me add to it. Depending on your vehicles, I would look for a 24' to 30' enclosed drive on, drive off trailer with a prow front. Snow mobilers here love them. Folks in ANC can give you local pricing so you can compare. A lot of the trailers are made just east of you a ways. If you take your time, you should be able to find a good deal and then resell it here to recoup costs.
    Look for trucking companies coming from the pacific northwest full, and heading back empty. You will get a better freight rate at least that far. The downfall is that you have to get there to get the freight. A 45' flatbed would haul your trailer or several vehicles too.
    Shipping containers, called Conex, are not too expensive to buy. You can have them dropped at your place, fill them up, and then picked up and shipped. Once you get here a 40' to 45' Conex will sell for over $3,000.
    Moving companies sell used packing material. Sometimes you can get good deals. If you buy a trailer, you can start stocking up now.
    Good luck.

AK Ray, there is now an Anchorage Go Devil Dealer as well. Check out anchorage-go-devil.com.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Darn sex tapes fooled me, getting itchy for some bird hunting, hope my dog gets a bird or two in what may be her last year. Maybe I am not looking forward all that much, but some redheads would be nice, though some canvas backs would fit the bill. Either way a fat green head in my dogs mouth sounds about like heaven right now, but I guess we'll chase silvers till then.