Thread: Aluminum Chambered Boats (ACB)

Default Aluminum Chambered Boats (ACB)

Good morning.

I am not a big fan of aluminum boats but looking at ACB brochures & website perked my curiosity. Do any of you familiar with these boats? The company is out of Bellingham, WA and many of their customers are government agencies.

Regards,

yhc

Default Price

I'm guessing you don't know their prices. They are expensive beyond belief. Maybe something around $200,000 for a 24-28 footer or something like that. Saw one at the boat show this winter. Yikes. If money were no object, sure, I'd like one.

A guy up the street from me has one. No way no how is it worth the money he paid. Cramped cabin and not a lot of fishing space.

Default A.C.B.'s

I own a 23' A.C.B. and you are paying a premium on safety when you purshase this boat; in other words, you won't sink out there! The cabin is built for several people to go out for the day fishing or sight seeing, or for a small family to spent 1 night. This model doesn't have a table or kitchen setup; there are other boats out there with these if this is what you need. The fishing area is as big as any other boat with plenty of space in the rear, and some up front. The Evinrude E-Tec 250 is a good motor but the gas consumtion is high, but pushing a 7500# boat through the water at 34 m.p.h. is a big job. Overall, the ride is good and she'll take whatever Mother Nature has to throw at you, and return you in comfort!

I saw one out of seward this weekend and it looks like a nice boat. Even though it wont sink, if you fall in the water or the boat flips it doesnt matter if it sinks or not, you'll die of hypothermia. If they made a boat that claims, "Won't tip over and fill with water," I'm going to be all over that.

Default Coast Guard

Coast Guard has a boat that will turn upright after rolling and won't fill with water.....but good luck getting one

Default Coast Gaurd boat

The ACB boat is used by the CG. So are others. The ACB does upright itself, but the ACB video shows that the CG could not get it to flip. They even did test to see how fast they could dump water in over the top and it ran out over the transom, but didn't sink. You can go out all day and when you get back realize you didn't put the plug in. Go 40 MPH in 4 foot chop and get a nice ride. I can't afford one, but if you want a nice ride, a safe boat, and can afford the extra money, I would suggest a test ride.

Default rhib?

Those ACBs are interesting looking boats. I spoke with a dealer in the Kenai/Soldotna area. I don't see what they offer over a RHIB, except harpoon-proof tubes. $200K? I hope that is a pretty big one. j

Default dry suit

"Even though it wont sink, if you fall in the water or the boat flips it doesnt matter if it sinks or not, you'll die of hypothermia." Many of the serious RHIB users across the Atlantic (and I am sure elsewhere) wear dry suits just for that reason. Apparently these GoreTex ones are really pretty comfortable, too. Spendy, but what is your life worth? Maybe I'll get one, too.... j

Agree with Snowwolfe -- same neighbor. The boat looks tough enough, but the price is pretty dang exotic. For that kind of money, I'd consider a new Boston Whaler first.

The big red survival suits by Mustang that I sell are only good about 24 hours, after that it starts to lose heat and you're toast...I mean an ice cube.

Default A.C.B.'s

For you people responding to the price of an A.C.B., considering what size and what kind of options you have, you are way off the price and haven't done your homework on the subject! I think you are referencing the 29' boat which is probably in the range being quoted. The resale value is also a consideration.

The one I looked at at the Northway Mall this spring was being offered for about $175,000. It was about the same size of my boat (24 footer), maybe a foot bigger.
    My 24 foot Sea Sport purchased new in 05 loaded with options and the optional motor and triple disc brakes on my trailer didnt cost more than $70,000. And it has a sink, v berth, table, etc. Resale value is hard to put a finger on as they have not been around long enough up here to be resold. They may be worth the money to some. But to me they are not worth another 100,000 over the cost of my Sea Sport.
    What options does the ACB have that adds to the costs?

Default No way Jose'

I wouldn't do it for the price they want you could get two boats! If you have patience and like the alumi look I'd check out GC..Glacier... They are pretty nice. If your not dead set on Alumi well I've seen a beautiful 27 pilot Sea sport (for the price) sitting in the harbor here in Seward. I can get the number off it if your interested.

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the information/input.

My "travel" plans from Iraq have recently changed so I won't be able to seriously look into getting a boat at this time. I will resume my search once I return to Alaska. But thank you, Plankton, for your offer of getting the phone number for me. That is very kind of you.

I wish you all good weekend and happy boating.

Regards,

yhc