Thread: Over/Under Choices

Default Over/Under Choices

Am considering a 12 Gauge Over/Under and have it narrowed down to 3: Browning Citori, Beretta White Onyx, and Weatherby Athena. Handled all three in store yesterday and it's a tossup in my opinion. Have also shot a Browning at Ft Rich Skeet Range and liked the way it handled. Appreciate any comments you have to offer.

Did you handle the Ruger Red Label? That's my pick.

I have always had good luck with Brownings. I had a friend that put over 60,000 rounds through a Browning Citori, before he retired it.

Nothing wrong with a Beretta either. They don't fit me as well as the Brownings, but they are a quality shotgun.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Weatherby OU's, but I think they are the same type of action as the old Ithicas and SKB's. Lot of folks think highly of them as well.

I own a Red Label. Won't make that mistake again. After two seasons of shooting skeet (about 1200 rounds), the action loosened up so badly I could move the barrels side-to-side. I sent it back to Ruger - twice - and they sent it back each time saying it was just fine and dandy. Like I said; I won't make that mistake again.

I give the nod to Browning! I have a Citori O/U and it has many years of hard service shooting skeet and in the field! For the money they are my choice and they hold their value. I do like the Ruger Red labels too, but they do not stay as tight as a Citori will over time. I bought mine used from my uncle who is a well respected skeet shooter and he consistently out shoots guys toting Perazzi's and Krieghoffs. The guys with money at his clubs change guns like we change socks. It's easier to blame the gun and they always have a new excuse. As long as the gun fits you right, a Citori will outshoot just about anyones ability. Most Citoris are Back - Bored and also use full length tapered locking bolts that they claim "wears in not out." My Citori has over 40k rounds through it and I believe their claims. Is the Citori a fixed choke or Invector Plus system?

Wyatt

Default What are you going to do with the shotgun?

DMac,

It would help to know what kind of shooting you intend to do with this shotgun, what kind of money that you want to put into this firearm, whether or not you want one off of the shelf or custom, whether you want one for show or for field or for competition or for some combination, et cetera.

The right shotgun is like a good pair of boots--they just feel...right. You have enough opportunity with these three companies to make yourself a purpose-built gun should you desire such a thing. I have owned and shot many Berettas and hunted with many high-grade Citoris. You would be hard-pressed to go wrong IF the weapon fits you well. I've shot a couple of different Purdy's and, while they were pieces of true art, they were not built for me. Get the shotgun that feels like it was made to be welded to your shoulder and your cheek. Then make it as fancy as you can afford.

Just my 2cents...

IceKing02

Primarily, I would like to use this gun for upland game (rabbits, birds), and probably skeet/trap. The Browning comes with the Invector choke tubes. I've always liked the way over and unders look. They're a hefty price tag though, so I definitely want to be sure if/when I purchase. I've looked at the Red Labels, just though the grip was thinner than others and not as comfortable.

Smile

I dont have experience with the Weatherbys, but you cant go wrong with either the Beretta (my personal choice) or the Browning. both are good guns. My advise is to get the one that feels and shoots like an extension of your arm. My beretta feels like i point my finger and say bang... just my .02 worth.