Thread: good price for barreled action?

Question good price for barreled action?

What would you consider a fair price for a Mauser 98 action with Lilja barrel chambered in 6.5-06? Barrel is new, never fired. I belive it also has a timney trigger and gentry safety.

I'd pay around 450-500. A gentry 3 pos safety runs around 150, timney from 30-70, lilja well over 200, not to mention if any work was done on the action, ie bent bolt, jeweling etc. What kinda bottom metal does it have? makes a differance.

Also a big factor is what kind of M98 it is.

this is a sears mod 51 fn mauser made in belgium in the 1950's

I think blink is about right on, perhaps a tad high. Even though quality parts were used, it isn't a terribly popular caliber, and barreled actions aren't terribly popular vs complete guns. As a general rule of thumb, custom rifles are lucky to retain 50% on the dollar of what they cost to build. Mauser 98's simply don't have the popularity they had in years past, unless assebled by a master smith who has name recognition.

6.5-06? Barreled action?

$150

You asked what I consider a fair price.

A whole, whole bunch depends on the gunsmithing job and who did it. If there are problems I have to pay to fix later, price of bare parts is probably the absoute max I'd pay. That's action, barrel blank and accessories with no allowance for gunsmithing costs. Call it an "insurance policy" against the need to redo the smithing. If it was a known, reliable smith who would back up his work even to you, the second owner, then include the smithing charges. But if the guy is trying to offload it for some reason, ask for a discount from his costs, just because.