Thread: Places to Snowshoe in Anchorage

Default Places to Snowshoe in Anchorage

Im from Cordova and im going to school up here in anchorage, just looking for some places to snowshoe and "get out of town" without having to leave town.
    Thanks alot,

David

Hit Bicentennial Park or any of the Hillside trails for some good snowshoeing, or drive up to the Glenn Alps trailhead (at the base of Flattop) and head off trail from there. Once you cross Powerline Pass you can go a looong ways and have the snow all to yourself.

Where Bicentennial Park at? sorry im not very familiar with where places are at up here

thanks,

David

Sorry for the lack of details. Are you on campus? If so, take Bragaw (I think that's the name of the road - basically the one next to the dorms that head away from campus) to Tudor. Take a left on Tudor and then a right on Campbell Airstrip Road. About 3/4 of a mile up Campbell Airstrip Road you'll find a parking lot on the right with a trailhead that immediately crosses a bridge. On the other side of the bridge you'll see a trail map. You don't have to follow the trails, but it can be a pretty confusing area back there your first few times.

awesome, thanks for the details I shouldnt have any problem finding it, now I just need a pair of snowshoes. Wheres the best place to pick them up here in town. Sportsmans Warehouse?? anyways thanks alot

also is there anywhere close to town that if I brought my .22 I could legally take a shot at a ptarmigan or anyother small game I come up on.....

thanks again,

David

I can't recomend Atlas snowshoes enough, they are expensive but well worth it. I'd check REI and Alaska Mountaineering.

As far as hunting with a 22rf, you'll have to head out of town. There are some limited areas that allow the use of a shotgun, and others that allow the use of a pelletgun. But for using a 22rf, your options are limited. There are some areas of the Chugach that allow it, but you have to look carefully at the regs to see what boundries allow what type of gun.

yeah I picked up a pair of tubbs and I havent got to use them yet but they seem nice...
    thanks for all the input

David

Quote Originally Posted by David28 View Post
    yeah I picked up a pair of tubbs and I havent got to use them yet but they seem nice...
    You'll enjoy them. I love my Tubbs!

Default Multi-use vs Ski Only

Please be aware that there are a number of trail on the Hillside that are Ski Only. This is for a number of reason, safety and trail maintenance are a couple. The ones from the parking lot noted below are all multi-use (although watch for dog mushing trails later in the season as those teams can get on you in a hurry). Higher on the hillside, there is a mix of ski only and multi-use trails. If you see lights, you are on a ski only trail. The Spencer Loop, Richter, and Ridge loops are also ski only but without lights. I think the rest of the trails up there are multi-use.

Some other good snowshoeing territory would be from the Glenn Alps parking lot. Head up O'Malley to Hillside Drive, head South on Hillside, take a left on Upper Huffman to Toilsome Hill. Go up Toilsome Hill to the Chugach Park trailhead and head out from there. You can get away from more people and go just about anywhere with snowshoes. You get some pretty cool views up there as well if the weather is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sorry for the lack of details. Are you on campus? If so, take Bragaw (I think that's the name of the road - basically the one next to the dorms that head away from campus) to Tudor. Take a left on Tudor and then a right on Campbell Airstrip Road. About 3/4 of a mile up Campbell Airstrip Road you'll find a parking lot on the right with a trailhead that immediately crosses a bridge. On the other side of the bridge you'll see a trail map. You don't have to follow the trails, but it can be a pretty confusing area back there your first few times.

Since you're unfamiliar with the area, may I suggest that you take the time to find out where the likely avalanche hazards are. Skiers and snowshoers used to dominate the statistics statewide until the snowmachiners overtook them. But the former two groups still lead the charts for incidents in the Bowl, so far as I know.

A visit to Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking and/or REI would probably connect you with someone in the know. If you need avalanche safety training generally, the Alaska Avalanche School is one good place to start. And their local instructors are familiar with the Bowl terrain.

is there any snowshoeing to do in the Flattop Area.... I hear of people snowboarding up there.... thanks,

David

Quote Originally Posted by David28 View Post
    is there any snowshoeing to do in the Flattop Area.... I hear of people snowboarding up there.... thanks,

David
    Yup, and it's one of the notorious places I had in mind when I made the avalanche suggestion. Here's just one of the examples: AMRG report re: Feb. 8, 2006, fatal avalanche on Flattop.

There's lots of snowshoeing to be done in Powerline pass which is just to the left of Flattop. If you want a nice fun trip in snow shoes take powerline pass 3 miles down to hidden pass and then take a left and head between the Ramp and The Wedge up to ship pass. Not much avy potential if you stay clear of slide zones.

Default Avalanche info for Talkeetna Range

Do you know of a website that posts current advisories for the Talkeetna range? Specifically Hatcher Pass and surrounding areas?

Thanks-