Thread: Fishing the Alagnak River in July

Unhappy Fishing the Alagnak River in July

I am looking to fish Alangak river 2nd week July 2008. Has any views on Katmai Lodge or should I be looking some where different? I will be comming over from Scotland and want to fly fish for salmon and trout.
    Cheers Hubba.

I like Alagnak lodge better.... The local for fishing chums is prime. Katmai would be better if later in the season and u where fishing bows. The chum fishing is marvelous though. Might have a chance at sockeye too! Kings are good, but do a fly out to big cr or somewhere else to target they w/ a fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    I am looking to fish Alangak river 2nd week July 2008. Has any views on Katmai Lodge or should I be looking some where different? I will be comming over from Scotland and want to fly fish for salmon and trout.
    Cheers Hubba.
    Some of the best salmon fishing is on the Kenai Peninsula, Sockeye salmon on the Russian River and Lower Kenai River.

Check out this site for more information
    Alaskafishingsuccess.com

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman View Post
    Some of the best salmon fishing is on the Kenai Peninsula, Sockeye salmon on the Russian River and Lower Kenai River.

Check out this site for more information
    Alaskafishingsuccess.com

That's right, no good fishin in Bristol Bay for salmon...I'd stay on the road system...yup. Sheesh

If I was coming all the way from Scotland...I'd certainly not go pound the Kenai Peninsula....come on guys. Hubba, you will have something fantastic goin on if you go the the Alagnak anywhere between early July through September...if you are lookin to shell it out for a high end lodge, they are all first class and have floatplanes that can take you where the fish are. Just contact a few of them from the web and ask about when the fishin is best for what you want to catch. The Alagnak is certainly not the most numerous king run in Bristol Bay, but it has some very large fish for out here...little chance at breaking seventy pounds like on the Kenai...but guess what, you will get to hook more than one every 17 hours or whatever the going rate there is, and the setting is certainly more remote and pristine.

Default lodges

Anyone know about the Alagnak Lodges run by Alaska Trophy Adventures or the smaller Alagnak Lodge? Both look interesting, but neither has had their website updated in a little while. Any info. on the lodges as well as fishing the river in early July would be appreciated.

sockeyes should be in full force the second week of July. I'll hopefully be in the tower counting them
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default alaska trophy adventures

I fished with Alaska Trophy Adventures in June of 2006 on the Alagnak.
    I previously fished out of Katmai Lodge. ATA is a great operation further up the river closer to the two lake sources. ATA is definitely the best situated
    lodge for rainbows yet reasonably close for the salmon. I will fish with Charley
    Summerville of ATA again and have fished with a number of quality operations
    in Alaska. The Alagnak is a bountiful river and you should be in the thick of
    Sockeyes, Kings and Chums but will have to visit the side braids for bows as
    the salmon will likely be thick.

Thanks. Can't decide on the 5th through 12th, or 12th through 19th. Anyone think earlier is better or will it really depend on what this winter does and how it will effect run-off?

Question Timing

June 5th is early. The lakes feeding the Alagnak (Branch) River may still be frozen. Depends on the winter.

oops meant July.

Default Great Trout & Salmon

Check out Rainbow Point Lodge -- its located on Lake Iliamna -- Brad Hughes runs the operation. The lodge is beautiful, food is more than expected and is located right at the corner of First and Main for trophy trout and salmon. They fly all over so can take you any place in the greater Iliamna watershed including the Alagnak - although they may, depending on the time of year, the water level, and weather, have some other stream to recommend. Though, of course, enjoying a week of fly fishing at a remote lodge is, in no small part, about the people & guides operating the place. Welcome to Alaska, it will be worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    Thanks. Can't decide on the 5th through 12th, or 12th through 19th. Anyone think earlier is better or will it really depend on what this winter does and how it will effect run-off?
    the sockeye run peaks between the 5th and 12th so if sockeye is what you are looking for then go then, this should also be a good time period for kings
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the advice. Looking closely at the ATA lodge on the Alganak. Rainbow Point looks nice, but could be expensive.