Thread: Extreme trapping

Default Extreme trapping

I went out before midnight of ninth for the opener , and the weather was as nasty as it gets south of anchorage everything from sideways rain to white out conditions through Turnagain. There were times the slush was going over my pick up hood in sheets. Had three beaver colonies set in completely open water by about 4 a.m.. I had beaver slapping their tails at me all night and saw a couple very large ones with my head lamp. I drove back to the first set area and had to laugh that I had the woods to myself on this night. Took a three hour nap and walked back to start checking. I pulled four beaver and headed home back through the slush. I caught one in a dam break with a #4 jump on a drowner, one on a castor mound guarded with a #330 conibear; about a 50 lber dragging a 5' 1 3/4" pole still in its jaws. Two caught in channel sets with #330. Three of the catch were kits but as always they are beautifully furred. I had a very nice front toe nail in a #4 jump on a drowner, and that same beaver would not go near conibears. I found another colonie in the daylight while checking and saw two large beaver swimming around so I had to make some sets. I have good bait for the predators , but am a little uneasy putting to much out until the bears go to bed. It's time to start skinning. I would have taken catch pictures , but it was just to wet to take the camera out. Heres a few back at home.

Nice looking beavers Bob. You are one dedicated trapper that is for sure!

Thumbs up Way to breakem in

Kudos on the last pic. Looks like one happy trapper.

Default Just curious

Just curious. Do you eat the meat?

My best friend in high school always had something diffeent for lunch. Muskrat, raccoon, beaver.....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up

Nice job and nice pics!

Out at night in miserable weather.............that's extreme alright. Good work on the quick catches.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Congrats!!!

Them look like some nice beav's. We got caught in the same weather...I woke up to 8-1o inches on my boat over the weekend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate next weekend to check the sets.

AH

Default sent you a p.m.

sent you a p.m.

Default A couple more good ones today

I picked up the big one 50 lbs in a dam break with a #4 jump , and the smaller one 36 lbs in a 330 castor mound. The water is starting to seal up so its time to start concentrating on the predators.