Thread: Tanana River

Default Tanana River

Does Any Know If There Are Any Good Place To Get Across With A Snow Machine Yet.

Default still open

flew on the 11th on Nov. and all the river that we saw was open--no place cross.

Default watch the wx channel

I know you guys are eager, but keep your eyes on the weather reports. We have had the mildest October and November I remember. But then it is hard for me to remember yesterday.
    We need at least a couple of weeks of -20 for the river to be safe. The main channel is still boiling right along, and there is not near enough snow to protect your machine from hard ice during the crossing. I bet those tussocks on the south side of the river just can't wait to get their hairy heads on your suspension and skis.
    I'll ask the pilots at work to keep an eye out as they head downriver. The only thing they will be able to see is if it frozen, not how thick though. Lake ice might be up to 9" in places but that is not the case on the river.

High Speed And Balls!!!

Default Balls?

For flotation or tied off to the machine and operator for easier retrieval?

Quote Originally Posted by havuc View Post
    High Speed And Balls!!!
    Let us know when you're goin' ...I'll bring the video camera and get a YouTube video going! Ought to be good!

Brian

TB, maybe we ought to hold out for America's Funniest Home videos. That ought to be good for the grand prize!
    I know Havuc had to be joking, but good golly, enough guys do it for real it is just a tad scary huh?

The Chena upriver from town might be safer due to no hot water being dumped in from the power plant, but at the Parks HWY bridge it still looks mighty wet, and down at my house I am not willing to go chase the fox that keeps coming by to visit. Besides, he gets a free pass whenever he makes it over here.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Even stretches of the Yukon River are ice free. The open water in the Norton Sound is just a bit offshore from Kotlik and is to the shore 18 miles to the ENE from here.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default When crossing the Tannana now....

Before you cross the Tannana now make sure that a "Hey yall watch this" is said loud enough for the camera to pick up the sound as you toss a beer can on the bank.
    Last edited by AFHunter; 11-13-2007 at 10:43. Reason: spelling