Thread: Rifle

Default Rifle

I am having a custom rilfe built. While searching around the web for information I ran across this site. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used the aluminum alloy 20 MOA Picatinny rails on your rifles? I am having a 300 win mag built and the builder is wanting to put these on the rifle. Like all things I like talking to put who have used them before I spent the money on it. So any information and details would be great.

Doesn't look as though anyone who has checked in so far has any experience with the rails you are contemplating. I've only used rails on benchrest guns and then it also involved some pretty careful action work to assure good seating with the rails before any noticeable difference occurred. If I was building a 300 as a hunting rifle, I'd only bother with rails as an antidote to potential stock instability because I've got a lot of faith in my bedding abilities. But if the 300 was going to be a long range match rifle where fractions of an inch in consistency could mean the difference between winning and losing, then I'd be investing in rails.

If your builder wants to put them in, I'm betting he has good reason for doing so- probably wants to eke out the most accuracy possible, both for your happiness and his reputation. Unless you're trying to save a few nickels on an expensive project, I wouldn't hesitate to tell him to carry on with his plans.

If you have the time to read the link provided you will see my reasons for choosing this guy for my bases.

It all started for me with a SAKO rifle that I could not find the right top gear for. The problem was so well solved that I choose to do all my hunting and target rifles using these products. I'm so highly pleased with the results, that I do not hesitate to recommend them to others.

http://www.nearmfg.com/
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Brown Bear

The rails he is wanting to use are the aluminum alloy 20 MOA Picatinny rail from Farrell Industries (Model BRN-L-AB-20) and the use the Farrell Rings. When I first heard the words Aluminum and was like "what?" but I have found several people taking about Aluminum rails on line last night and they say they are super strong. But could not find anything on the Farrell rails ect there home page.

Default 20 Moa

My gun smith, Jim Myers uses these quite a bit. He put one on my buddy’s custom 300 that he just picked up from him. If you want to check out his stuff and/or give him a call his site is oneholegunworks.com. He is a bench rest shooter and gunsmith. He barreled my 30-338 win mag for me almost 2 years ago. I hope that this helps.

Whit

Should be fine.
    I have one on a 300 win mag long range paper punching rifle i have hadover 10 years. Mostly for use with older Leupold scopes I use. Not sure why one would need one with modern scopes for hunting use, as they seem to have adequate elevation range of adjustment. Any way it works fine for me. Note the Weaver bases used for years are Aluminmum and hold up fine. I have Badger rings, lapped in and use a BL 6x24 and 190 Gr Sierras. W M70 Baer barrel and set up for iron sghts as well. Thanks!

R/Allen

It should not come as a surprise to anyone, that you want mounts that alow full (or as much as possible) to get you to point of aim, without using but as little internal scope adjustment as you can get by with. I've found the 10 moa's rails to work for hunting rifles in this reguard.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Rails

Farrell makes outstanding products. There rings do not need lapping etc. There rings and base are machined to about perfect as you can get and very strong and steady. I bought a pair awhile back for a custom rifle I am putting together and feel in my opinion they are the best around and I have owned rails, bases, rings from tons of companies. The quality of Farrell are like night and day to anything I have ever owned. However, if you have not priced them you better be sitting down. The rings alone will run you about 150.00 dollars and the base around 80.00. So, if you go with Farrell rings and rail you can plan on spending between 250.00 and 300.00 dollars . In my thoughts they are well worth it if you are shooting for extreme accuracy and/or long distance.
    If you are just shooting a few times a year or just hunting a few times a year then I would go with something cheaper in price. But if you are looking for top quality then you are looking in the right place!!